Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
-i feel like "bonding" mechanics is too much micromanagement, at least with current ui, you can't quickly see whos bonded to who, you have to read the name, and then find the soldier in your rooster.
Try this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1124175584

My current mod list:

General (4):
[LW2 Cmp] XCom 2 International Voices Pack XComInternationalVoicesPack 623812197
Mod Config Menu ModConfigMenu 667104300
Free Camera Rotation FreeCameraRotation 616359783
Van Doorn Voice Pack VanDoornVoicePack 631342362

WOTC bugfixes (6):
Revival Protocol Fixes RevivalProtocolFixes 1123037187
Stocks Insider Knowledge Fix StocksInsiderKnowledgeFix 1124909099
Brutal Fix BrutalFix 1124320365
Chosen Dark Events Fix ChosenDarkEventsFix 1126771111
Skirmisher Rebalance SkirmisherRebalance 1125671906
Tracking Shot Defence TrackingShotDefence 1126799811

WOTC QOL (10):
[WOTC] LOS Preview Ability LOSPreviewWOTC 1123163799
[WotC] Gotcha Again WOTCGotchaAgain 1124288875
[WOTC] Free Reload Anytime FreeReloadAnytimeWOTC 1124843260
[WOTC] Hours Instead of Days HoursInsteadofDaysWOTC 1125973633
WotC: robojumper's Squad Select robojumperSquadSelect_WotC 1122974240
Smart Overwatch All [WotC] SmartOverwatchAll 1123486456
WotC: Color Coded Bonds WotC_ColorCodedBonds 1124175584
Evac All - WotC EvacAll_WotC 1126395106
Yet Another F1 YetAnotherF1 934236622
[WotC] Numeric Health Display NumericHealthDisplayWotC 1126938196

WOTC cosmetics (4):
Capnbubs Accessories - WotC CapnbubsAccessories-WotC 1123427895
More Nations and Names WotC MoreNationsandNamesWotC 1124284135
Gravely Wounded Scars GravelyWoundedScars 1124311133
WOTC Uniforms [Dirty Patch] WOTCUniforms 1126857331

WOTC gameplay (7):
Recruit Multiple Heroes From All HeroesFromAll 1126788564
[WOTC] EU Aim Rolls EUAimRollsWOTC 1123516056
[WOTC] Fair Lost Targeting FairLostTargeting 1123260291
[WOTC] Peek From Concealment PeekFromConcealment_WOTC 1123555539
More Resistance Ops MoreResistanceOps 1123890279
SWR Alien Range Bonus WotC SWRAlienRangeBonusWotC 1124357204
[WOTC] Revert Overwatch Rules Change WOTCRevertOverwatchRules 1127539414

Im staying vanilla for now, i want to see how they improved the game, make my judgement and then play with mods. Beside i dont want to risk ruining this because its ironman, so if something break, then im screwed.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What do you start building if playing with Lost and Abandoned in WOTC?
GTS, then excavation then resistance ring?

What's the state of the 'pods' design?
Same as always I'd say.

Are S.H.I.V.s (Super Heavy Infantry Vehicle) in the game?
Nope, they have been replaced by Wall E.

But they can get XP now I think (I haven't played with them yet).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
-i feel like "bonding" mechanics is too much micromanagement, at least with current ui, you can't quickly see whos bonded to who, you have to read the name, and then find the soldier in your rooster.
Try this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1124175584

My current mod list:

General (4):
[LW2 Cmp] XCom 2 International Voices Pack XComInternationalVoicesPack 623812197
Mod Config Menu ModConfigMenu 667104300
Free Camera Rotation FreeCameraRotation 616359783
Van Doorn Voice Pack VanDoornVoicePack 631342362

WOTC bugfixes (6):
Revival Protocol Fixes RevivalProtocolFixes 1123037187
Stocks Insider Knowledge Fix StocksInsiderKnowledgeFix 1124909099
Brutal Fix BrutalFix 1124320365
Chosen Dark Events Fix ChosenDarkEventsFix 1126771111
Skirmisher Rebalance SkirmisherRebalance 1125671906
Tracking Shot Defence TrackingShotDefence 1126799811

WOTC QOL (10):
[WOTC] LOS Preview Ability LOSPreviewWOTC 1123163799
[WotC] Gotcha Again WOTCGotchaAgain 1124288875
[WOTC] Free Reload Anytime FreeReloadAnytimeWOTC 1124843260
[WOTC] Hours Instead of Days HoursInsteadofDaysWOTC 1125973633
WotC: robojumper's Squad Select robojumperSquadSelect_WotC 1122974240
Smart Overwatch All [WotC] SmartOverwatchAll 1123486456
WotC: Color Coded Bonds WotC_ColorCodedBonds 1124175584
Evac All - WotC EvacAll_WotC 1126395106
Yet Another F1 YetAnotherF1 934236622
[WotC] Numeric Health Display NumericHealthDisplayWotC 1126938196

WOTC cosmetics (4):
Capnbubs Accessories - WotC CapnbubsAccessories-WotC 1123427895
More Nations and Names WotC MoreNationsandNamesWotC 1124284135
Gravely Wounded Scars GravelyWoundedScars 1124311133
WOTC Uniforms [Dirty Patch] WOTCUniforms 1126857331

WOTC gameplay (7):
Recruit Multiple Heroes From All HeroesFromAll 1126788564
[WOTC] EU Aim Rolls EUAimRollsWOTC 1123516056
[WOTC] Fair Lost Targeting FairLostTargeting 1123260291
[WOTC] Peek From Concealment PeekFromConcealment_WOTC 1123555539
More Resistance Ops MoreResistanceOps 1123890279
SWR Alien Range Bonus WotC SWRAlienRangeBonusWotC 1124357204
[WOTC] Revert Overwatch Rules Change WOTCRevertOverwatchRules 1127539414

Thanks for that. I hate having to find mods I like; this is an excellent list.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
So, if you CTRL-ALT-DELETE in an iron-man save in an attempt to undo your last turn, there's a (small) chance for your save to be deleted.
A well, serves me right for scumming. I got pretty far, though!

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Don't play ironman then. What's the point? You will eventually start to feel bad for yourself by doing this shit, and even worse you will obsessively restart dozens of campaign, because you want everything to go perfectly. Just live with your decisions and losses.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
One wants the challenge of having to live with mistakes while being save from file corruption or simply the RNG bullshit that Nu-Com is so fond of.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
One wants the challenge of having to live with mistakes while being save from file corruption or simply the RNG bullshit that Nu-Com is so fond of.
You can sync your folder with local ironman saves with google cloud, or use folder copying tools that can do it automatically on file update. It;s not hard. That will prevent the save corruption loss, and you arent forced to use this saves in case something goes bad. Only weak willed people play ironman and then savescum,why do you play then to show off, to prove something? Maybe epenis is too small:positive:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
You seem very interested in how I play my game. Do you also want to see my Pokemon collection? How about we hang out sometime and have a pumpkin spice latte?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Finished this yesterday on second-to-hardest difficulty Ironman. I never really left the "My God this is great" sensation that can often overwhelm you at the beginning of playing something new, which is good. I even came to like the special soldiers, because once you "get" the system, it's actually meshed fairly well with the core game. I didn't much like the ability point system, seemed too random to me and enabled a core 5-6 people as supersoldiers, which is not that fun, but pretty much everything else I loved. The Chosen were a really well-designed addition to the core game.

I did however sour on the balance. The game stills snowballs hard, so during the last third of the game I had 8+ Colonels but could win missions with just seargents without taking a single casualty, which made the last part of the game much more lackluster than the first two-thirds. The problem is that there's a very small plateau where the game is balanced, but if you tip your strength slightly in one direction, you will either lose hard or win easy.

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I played the free weekend of XCOM2, and while I really enjoyed the combat I got very annoyed by how they keep interrupting you with story exposition and little cutscenes. Do they eventually stop doing this and just let you freely play the game like in the original X-Com? It felt like I was stuck in a tutorial for 5 hours.

Jinn

Arcane
I played the free weekend of XCOM2, and while I really enjoyed the combat I got very annoyed by how they keep interrupting you with story exposition and little cutscenes. Do they eventually stop doing this and just let you freely play the game like in the original X-Com? It felt like I was stuck in a tutorial for 5 hours

From what I recall from playing it around it's release, the cutscenes and exposition fizzles out pretty quickly.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
There's the fixed first mission, the (optional) Chosen intro mission and then Bradford's babble whenever you meet a new alien, which can be cut down a fair bit by disabling beginner VO.
That's it.

That said, that (optional) Chosen mission is a pretty long 2-part mission, and when you first try the expansion, they really bombard you with all the new features straight away, so it feels like a long tutorial. This feeling is gone the next time you start a campaign.

There's some baggage from vanilla XCom 2 that carries over, though: the fixed blacksite mission gets pretty boring and those cutscenes do repeat. Thankfully they're mercifully short and in-mission.

Last edited:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The difficulty really took a dive after killing the Chosens. You still have a steady stream of resources and benefits from Covert Actions, they also give another way to decrease Avatar Project progression block so it's not a huge matter anymore. The Chosens died and took the progression racing along which turned the scale of power to XCOM's side way too much. By the time I played the Blacksite Vial mission, my team got equipped with Plasma Weapons, one shotting troopers and killing Muton/Andromedon in a single turn already. This is on Veteran difficulty though so take it with a huge grain of salt :salute:

ArchAngel

Arcane
The difficulty really took a dive after killing the Chosens. You still have a steady stream of resources and benefits from Covert Actions, they also give another way to decrease Avatar Project progression block so it's not a huge matter anymore. The Chosens died and took the progression racing along which turned the scale of power to XCOM's side way too much. By the time I played the Blacksite Vial mission, my team got equipped with Plasma Weapons, one shotting troopers and killing Muton/Andromedon in a single turn already. This is on Veteran difficulty though so take it with a huge grain of salt :salute:
Ironman Legendary difficulty or bust.
Veteran is only called that so noobs like you think they actually accomplished something instead of knowing they are still pathetic noobs.

Mazisky

Magister
Balance is still a problem even on legendary.
After a while you re too op and steamroll everything to the point it ends being boring to play till the end.
Firaxis fucked up by adding all early-mid new enemies and leaving late untouched.
They could have added new late threats or bosses, the game is already full of early mid stuff lol
Such a missed chance

Mazisky

Magister
I'm waiting a better advent cause it will add new late game enemies.
Anyway, don't get me wrong, the game is very good and fun before u reach tier 3 and defeat chosen, my complain is only related to late game, not about game difficulty in general.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Play Beta Strike.

I tried this, found it bad. Mostly because you start with no good ways to manage longer engagements, so the whole thing just turned into a popamole simulator.

It probably gets better as game goes on, but early on it is mostly boring imo

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
impressions so far:
Priest - meh in the beginning, ain in the ass later on. They have that annoying skill that prevents them from dieing, leaving them in stasis with 1 hp and only way to kill them is to overwatch because they came out of stasis and can do lots of shit to your soldiers. Plus, they get shitload of armor in elite and veteran versions.
Flamethrower - Made to counter uber melee rangers, have a chance to explode and it sucks. I t attracts lost, it blows cars, and if they are near VIP you have to capture you have to drive them away.
Spectre - I hate damn things, they are immune to overwatch, they can take down soldiers just by reaching them. So far most unfun alien, like worse version of viper.
Timed mission are rare now. Seems like Firaxis took notice that everyone hated the timers and with great variety of missions times ones are rare and with double timers option this degenerate mechanics be ignored. Good riddance.
Avatar could be mitigated better, with new options to reduce avatar counter common situations from XCom2, when you lose just because you cannot reach the factory due to contacts limit, supply limit etc., is almost impossible. Covert actions could reduce the counter and give you time to reach the facility.
Chosen are a pain, especially with lots of actions in their disposal. They can turn victorious mission into a mess. Rewards for killing them is kind of...ok, apart from removing shitty effects of sabotage and covert actions, they provide weapons with all upgrades installed. That means 15% to take another action after shooting, 10% to kill instantly etc.
Waiting fro 20 turns for aliens to come at you now have repercussions - the longer you stay more tired your soldiers become. severl 5 turn mission can barely affect tiredness, but one 20 turn can send all your soldiers to tired status. Sending tired soldiers into battle is a bad idea - game will turn into Darkest Dungeon, because once soldiers will reach Shaken status, they start getting negative traits, which is ANNOYING AS HELL. Compulsive reloader or Cautious can ruin your mission. in the most crucial moment. They also made burning status healable by hunker down, so it is no longer "king of all statuses"
So far, game is good, it's clearlly not a DLC money grab and new features adding a lot to the game and, most importantly, fixing a lot of flaws. Pod system is here to stay but I doubt this cancer of nuXcoms could be healed.
Templar ending also indicates underwater threat and 80% that X-Com 3 will take place in a X-Com 2 storyline, with fighting against new enemies, from which Elders fled.
Overall, I was expectin to be disappointed by WotC, given previous Firaxis DLC history, and quite happy I was wrong.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom