Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Being a low level wimp and having to find clever approaches to lots of situations is the best part of the game. Even if you find its combat unbearable you should reconsider.

I've never found the beginnings of the game very hard as any class. Morrowind ain't Gothic.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The beginning? No. It's more the early-mid game, where you're asked to venture outside of the southern cities, that things start to get interesting, because you start running into tough enemies but probably will not be well-equipped to deal with them by that point.

For me the appeal of Morrowind's magic system is probably the sense of mastery you get over the world and your abilities. You start out being some nobody schmuck, only to end up flying everywhere, being totally unconcerned with the affairs of regular people, walking through hostile enemies without them even noticing you're there, brewing potions and creating spells that let you do totally crazy shit, destroying lesser creatures with a wave of your hand, etc. It's basically the ultimate magical empowerment fantasy, without being focused on combat, and as a result it's very rewarding.

For me the appeal of Morrowind's magic system is probably the sense of mastery you get over the world and your abilities. You start out being some nobody schmuck, only to end up flying everywhere, being totally unconcerned with the affairs of regular people, walking through hostile enemies without them even noticing you're there, brewing potions and creating spells that let you do totally crazy shit, destroying lesser creatures with a wave of your hand, etc.
This so much, and it's all shown in the way how Telvanni actually works and treats other guilds or people in general - when you have the ability to turn attackers into a pile of volcanic ash, manipulate the structure of reality itself or contact with Daedra planes, you also have every right to act like an asshole. Especially in contrast with what other Houses call "power" - moneyz and such thin thing as honor.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The beginning? No. It's more the early-mid game, where you're asked to venture outside of the southern cities, that things start to get interesting, because you start running into tough enemies but probably will not be well-equipped to deal with them by that point.

For me the appeal of Morrowind's magic system is probably the sense of mastery you get over the world and your abilities. You start out being some nobody schmuck, only to end up flying everywhere, being totally unconcerned with the affairs of regular people, walking through hostile enemies without them even noticing you're there, brewing potions and creating spells that let you do totally crazy shit, destroying lesser creatures with a wave of your hand, etc. It's basically the ultimate magical empowerment fantasy, without being focused on combat, and as a result it's very rewarding.

No part of Morrowind is hard in my opinion, sorry. Maybe if you turn on HP bloat mode, I don't know, but Morrowind is way too easy to game to be at all difficult.

As for magic I never said it sucked or anything, it's a highlight of the game for reasons you describe. However a pure mage is a whole different matter. The ability to destroy all canon fodder quickly, easily and without delay is the key and I'm not sure magic is the best route there. Not when you can be a god of melee in like an hour, if you know what you're doing.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I remember a mod that gave the city cells more sound effects, people shouting, more ambience sfx etc. Anyone know the name of this mod?

kZigcqY.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
2012 console RPG is more simplified than 2002 PC RPG? Shocker.

That said, Skyrim does a good job of finding depth in simple mechanics, in my opinion. Yes stats are simplified into three bars, and yes perks are a simple, visual way to define a character. Yet I felt more pressured into a specific role than in any TES game before it, and every level-up felt significant and character building. It's an action game, no doubt, but it has decent RPG mechanics inside an action game framework.

DraQ

Arcane
No part of Morrowind is hard in my opinion, sorry. Maybe if you turn on HP bloat mode, I don't know, but Morrowind is way too easy to game to be at all difficult.
TBH there is no reason to ever play MW with difficulty slider anywhere but at max.

It's not a hard, game, as you have noticed, and even with maxed out difficulty it doesn't drag on as bloaty games do. Still, difficulty in games usually gets pretty moot if you have save&load system to fall back to, and I'd say that without exploits and metaknowledge MW wouldn't be bad if you had to play it ironman.

Clockwork Knight :
Though technically 3 pools also take over some roles of attribs so it's not really 0 attribs, more like 3, but without handy layer of abstraction separating them from pools.

granit

Scholar
2012 console RPG is more simplified than 2002 PC RPG? Shocker.

That said, Skyrim does a good job of finding depth in simple mechanics, in my opinion. Yes stats are simplified into three bars, and yes perks are a simple, visual way to define a character. Yet I felt more pressured into a specific role than in any TES game before it, and every level-up felt significant and character building. It's an action game, no doubt, but it has decent RPG mechanics inside an action game framework.

Depth? I found the dumbed down RPG mechanics the number one flaw with Skyrim. There are certainly many, many other flaws but they can be addressed with mods. The core RPG mechanics in Skyrim are just overly simplified.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Depth? I found the dumbed down RPG mechanics the number one flaw with Skyrim. There are certainly many, many other flaws but they can be addressed with mods. The core RPG mechanics in Skyrim are just overly simplified.

Read what I actually wrote and reply again bro. I said it's a simplified system, but it does a good job of finding depth within that simplicity, and making the simplified mechanics matter.

DraQ

Arcane
TBH there is no reason to ever play MW with difficulty slider anywhere but at max.

Eh... I don't care what the situation is, beefing up enemy HP doesn't appeal to me at all.
The joke is that enemy HP bloat isn't very noticeable, or at least not to the point it would actually start feeling bloaty, while the enemy damage is increased considerably.

Yeah, the list has some silly points (classes are pointless in a game where a character has access to all the skills, birthsigns other than Atronach don't really change anything, sleeping not being required to level up is just nitpicking, many factions in MW had just a couple quests attached to them, etc)- but it's funny anyway.

DraQ

Arcane
Yeah, the list has some silly points (classes are pointless in a game where a character has access to all the skills, birthsigns other than Atronach don't really change anything, sleeping not being required to level up is just nitpicking, many factions in MW had just a couple quests attached to them, etc)- but it's funny anyway.
Actually, minifactions were more of a thing from TES IV onwards. In Morrowind the only ones were the vampire clans.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Morrowind's excellent world and lore are what makes its abundance of simple quests and factions work. Somewhere Todd Howard is pointing out that while there are less quests and factions in Oblivion and Skyrim each one has more to it. However what he doesn't understand is that Morrowind made walking to a town to talk to someone and walking back fun via a great world and great lore that you want to immerse yourself in.

DraQ

Arcane
Morrowind's excellent world and lore are what makes its abundance of simple quests and factions work. Somewhere Todd Howard is pointing out that while there are less quests and factions in Oblivion and Skyrim each one has more to it. However what he doesn't understand is that Morrowind made walking to a town to talk to someone and walking back fun via a great world and great lore that you want to immerse yourself in.
Todd odesn't seem to understand (much of anything, actually) that people don't play TES games for epic questlines, that Bethsda doesn't excel at creating epic questlines and that epic questlines undermine the very strengths of TES-style games with their rigid scripting.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Ken Rolston had more authority than Todd Howard when Moronwind and Oblivion were developed.

Todd wrote (parts of) the Imperial Legion questline in Moronwind, I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote parts of the Legion/Stormcocks questline in Skyrim.

However what he doesn't understand is that Morrowind made walking to a town to talk to someone and walking back fun via a great world and great lore that you want to immerse yourself in.
rA832.gif

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

First, most people aren't interested in Lore, so you don't want to pay good writers to contribute to something virtually no-one cares about. Second, you don't want to have lore involved in the quests if most people aren't interested in it. Todd did the right thing there sales wise.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I found the walking around in Morrowind tedious and boring... it's why most people just rigged the boots of blinding speed via creative enchants.

Walking around is tedious at the beginning because someone had the bright idea of having a Walking skill, so most starting characters move at a snail's pace (don't make gameplay tedious on purpose, FFS). It ceases to be noticeable after a while, when your character is more experienced at, uh, Walking. I haven't found much use for the boots, myself - if you want to get somewhere instantly, it's slower than the several transport/teleportation methods; if you want to explore, it's faster than you want to move.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Almvivsi, divine intervention, mark and recall, mages guild...

With all stats up to a hundred, and no armour to weigh you down, you can leap across the landscape.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom