Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That's totally not my experience. In my first game I had Athletics, Blocking and Sword as main skills, and quickly went to level 20 mainly from running and fending off cliff racers. Definitely the most broken character system in any game I've played; only by totally nerfing (by not majoring in skills you actually use) your character can you get a slower leveling and more challenging game.
Morrowind is such a broken game, but is salvaged mainly by an open world to explore in a unique setting.

Well that was never my experience but I always made custom characters with a wide assortment of main skills, plus I am never a combat focused guy, so maybe that's why. In any event the skills certainly go up much slower than in the sequels and training is the best way to level non-combat skills.

granit

Scholar
"Tomorrowind" sounds like a good name for Morrowind successor. The pun is awesome, much more creative compared to titles which only increment numbers and yet everyone can associate it easily with the original title.

The third title in the series could be "The Day After Tomorrowind" (similar to a movie title).

A subseries could then be established which allows you to fly dragon (as you are a dragonborn) and therefore featuring the title "Tomorrowing"

Bethesda really fucked this up.
When I saw MK referring to Tomorrowind I immediately thought of http://www.somethingawful.com/hosted/jeffk/tomorrowind/

Turjan

Arcane
Almalexia:
Here's a quest to forge a great weapon that is strong against Tribunal members so in the end it will be easier for you to kill me ... I mean kill Sotha Sil! He's the bad guy, not me. Why would I help you to obtain a weapon with which you could more easily kill me? That would be stupid. Hahahaha.

:lol:

Though the reason is that she wants the two swords and she can't exactly go around questing for the missing one herself. She thought she could easily kill you later, since Sotha is a super badass wizard and he wasn't a problem.

Yup. It's supposed to show her hubris and her own denial of the loss of her powers.

DraQ

Arcane
Indeed. If this were a real situation, any human being with half a brain and normal emotions wouldn't lift a finger for those quest givers.
Actually any normal human being would do everything, because normal human beings prefer not to die of perfectly natural causes like being stabbed in the kidneys while they sleep.

The problem with TB MQ is that the PC is no longer normal human/elf/furfag being. They just can't plausibly feel forced to cooperate at this point.
TB effectively tries to have it both ways - a continuation of MW story, as implied by the plot and mechanics (such as challenge level) and motivations befitting normal human who can hasn't just offed immortal demigod.

Almalexia:
Here's a quest to forge a great weapon that is strong against Tribunal members so in the end it will be easier for you to kill me ... I mean kill Sotha Sil! He's the bad guy, not me. Why would I help you to obtain a weapon with which you could more easily kill me? That would be stupid. Hahahaha.
That would be stupid indeed.
So would be using excessively slow swinging (if powerful) sword with fire enchantment when dueling 100% fire immune demigoddess.

You're far better off using Sunder, Chrysamere, Ice Blade of The Monarch, Fang of Haynekhtnamet or Black Hands Dagger from vanilla. Or custom enchanted daedric weapon. Or fucking bound axe.

Ayem's quest doesn't give you powerful tool to vanquish her with.
It gives you a hyped weapon she will be well prepared for.

In other words:
Atrapitis.gif

Morrowind is really just a snapshot of a living world. As soon as you enter it everything just goes frozen. Best way I can explain Morrowind. It's almost like a simulation ran, up to the point where you enter it and somebody deleted all that code.
Yes, sadly.

It's still awesome for what it is, though.

Turjan

Arcane
Indeed. If this were a real situation, any human being with half a brain and normal emotions wouldn't lift a finger for those quest givers.
Actually any normal human being would do everything, because normal human beings prefer not to die of perfectly natural causes like being stabbed in the kidneys while they sleep.
Sadly, it doesn't work that way, either. If you interpret my "human being" this way, the human being would be dead at this point and there wouldn't be any Tribunal story. Tribunal starts when it has been established that you don't fall into this category. So there isn't really any incentive at all to cooperate at this point, except the very metagamey "I paid for this expansion, so I won't just kill that idiot and see how the story goes".

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Is there a mod to buff disintegrate anywhere? I recall that non-trash armor tended to have several hundred HP, if not over 1000, per piece (the spell only effects one piece at a time) but the spell caped at 100/second (and was really expensive to cast then).

The readme is pretty detailed. You'll probably want the modular version.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=7382

-

edit: If it's unavailable, try here.

http://web.archive.org/web/20090226005253/http://www.hiredgoons.net/MWFiles/

I could download it from both, but it seems the latter is more reliable.

Navigating the dead (dreaming?) PES site, I was reminded of Madd Leveler. It's a nice alternative to Galsiah's. I'll link his homepage since even Web Archive doesn't let you download it from PES.

http://maddleveller.awardspace.com/

-

BTW, just found out about this. It has aspirations of becoming an "expansion sized" mod.

http://www.automatichamster.com/keening/index.shtml

I'd give it a try but it requires a bunch of graphical enhancers, plus Morrowind Comes Alive.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Saw the thread in main page and though "it's that time again..."
Time for another attempt to play Morrowind.
This time I made almost pure mage (only with Marksman for lulz, effect of starting game in the middle of the night...) because I was never a fan of melee in this game (and I got Chivalry for that stuff).

Last time I made few quests for Fighters & Mages guild, bought spells to open locks, visit big farm, bothered with cursed nord, make own spells and then once again, other games catched my attention. But after lack of interesing stuff in my backlog (without counting indie bundle fodders) it might be good idea to start again. And again. And again.

Marksman will actually be useful since it's hard to play a pure mage in MW.

-

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/913818-the-elder-scrolls-iii-morrowind/68754862

OP said:
I have to be online to install Morrowind?

What the $#!%y #@&%? What the hell is Steam? I don't have internet on my gaming PC...

Steam is a download site. You should probably try to get a physical copy.

OP said:
I thought I did have a physical copy, but I looked at the back of the case and it says you need internet and Steam account.

The only options I'm seeing are to 1) activate the Steam account on one computer and install the game on another, 2) find a way to get my computer to benefit from connecting to my mom's wifi connection, or 3) find a version of the game that doesn't require Steam.

Developers are a pain in my ass. These things never go smoothly for me.

Where did you get the copy you have?

He probably got the recently released Elder Scrolls Anthology.

OP said:
The one that looks like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Elder-S...3643?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2c7cf776eb

They are all over ebay... I just searched "morrowind pc new" and thought this was that. There's not even a map or booklet for it. Digital download crap I guess.

This one looks more complete.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Elder-S...8696?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item27d6501b88

Maybe that's the one I need to buy when I get past the "it's pointless" stage.

This is the universe's way of punishing you for not already owning a physical copy of this in 2002. And so forth with the expansions. You should be ashamed.

OP said:
I looked up phone tethering instructions out of curiosity, but I have an older version of windows and can't figure that out right now. I have a USB modem that notices my mom's wifi, and when I connect I still can't get on the internet, so won't the phone be just as useless?

I don't have my own wifi because it's a waste of money. I usually get by okay using my mom's computer for internet and a flash drive to move files to my computer... but anytime I need to install something, this stuff happens. I even needed internet to install the modem. I had to transfer the modem installer via flash drive. There's no way that's unmoronic.

Yeah one my morrowind didn't require internet for anything

two are you seriously using windows xp? you are literally a caveman.

have your mom put internet on your computer, I dunno what to say, man. Regdate 2005 was 9 years ago, assuming regged at 13 means you're 22. You are 22 and your mom does not let you have internet on your computer.

Yeah nah that's not our problem. You are some extreme fringe case of internet-less doesn't-understand-tethering windows xp user more than a decade after release.

also what is a modem, I used a modem again, more than a decade ago.

OH. OH I GET IT, you are either a freshly unfrozen guy from the early 90's or a thinly disguised troll, either way I applaud you.

OP said:
It's Windows 8... that's besides the point.

You consider Windows 8 to be an older version of Windows?

m9m3wr9.gif

:lol:

y9LG9N.jpg

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
What the hell is Steam?
Posted 3/10/2014

That topic is nice.
Hawly dewly, it's looks like arheologic crap founded somewhere in 2001 or else.

two are you seriously using windows xp? you are literally a caveman.
suck it down.

Anyway - I wanted to try Daggerfall again, is there any working version beside DaggerXL, or some compilation like System Shock Portable?

Last edited:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Bought Morrowind on Steam on an impulse (pretty expensive, what the fuck gaben) thanks to this thread and the nostalgia it gave me... Now, what are the most essential mods to install these days? I don't really need any graphic mods really, just gameplay enhancing and bug fixing ones.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Bought Morrowind on Steam on an impulse (pretty expensive, what the fuck gaben) thanks to this thread and the nostalgia it gave me... Now, what are the most essential mods to install these days? I don't really need any graphic mods really, just gameplay enhancing and bug fixing ones.
Morrowind Code Patch. That's about it really, though there are some good mods out there IMO MW doesn't need them.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Morrowind Code Patch. That's about it really, though there are some good mods out there IMO MW doesn't need them.

Thanks!

The game doesn't recognize 16:10 monitors, I expected that. Any way to make the game to do that?

Marksman will actually be useful since it's hard to play a pure mage in MW.
You mean it's hard to play pure mage in MW without some gamebreaking shit like levitation, insane mana regen through alchemy (or mace of Molag Bal) or restoration for +xxx buffs?

When going to play a mage with marksmanship, one might as well pick nightblade, which is one of the most fun classes to play - ultimate stealth and magic combo. Or witchhunter.
I don't really need any graphic mods really, just gameplay enhancing and bug fixing ones.
Adul's advanced combat for stances, criticals, additional injury effects and so on. Highly recommended.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Saw the thread in main page and though "it's that time again..."
Time for another attempt to play Morrowind.
This time I made almost pure mage (only with Marksman for lulz, effect of starting game in the middle of the night...) because I was never a fan of melee in this game (and I got Chivalry for that stuff).

Last time I made few quests for Fighters & Mages guild, bought spells to open locks, visit big farm, bothered with cursed nord, make own spells and then once again, other games catched my attention. But after lack of interesing stuff in my backlog (without counting indie bundle fodders) it might be good idea to start again. And again. And again.

Yeah, that's basically how I (attempt to) play MW every half year or so. But now I'm playing unmodded and I've barely been out of the house over the past few days. Maybe there is some correlation there. I'd almost forgotten how much fun it was to just play the game itself, without having an endless backlog of quests added by mods and without constantly thinking, "Oh, this looks kind of stupid, better mod it". The only mod I use is the delayed DB attack, because I play a kind of rogue character and I don't want to get the second-best light armour straight away.

At the same time, I've let go of my "anti-training" fundamentalism and have been using trainers heavily, and I do think that if I'd change anything, it's the cost of training, because you simply get too powerful in this way.

DraQ

Arcane
This, though I'd also throw in WGI to fix some truly broken stuff - not gamebreaking, but evidently not working as intended - for example disintegrate weapon/armor spells costing enough to let you kill the wearer/wielder ten times over or feather giving you 1/5th of fortify strength's bang per buck and no extra damage.

Oh, and some unfinished unenchanted artifacts (Volendrung, Auriel's Bow, etc.) getting their (established) powers back.

You don't *need* WGI to play and enjoy MW, though.
I recommend against BTB's if you don't want WGI, but would like something similar, though. It goes full bethesda* on some of the most fun mechanics in game.

Remove instead of fixing.

Pure mage is pretty boring in Morrowind IMO. Like a swordsman is boring in Skyrim.
:insert obligatory "your mom is boring" here:

Pure caster is arguably the most interesting playstyle because stealth is bare bones and melee combat effectively amounts to whacking things till they're dead, while spellcasting requires thinking through, making and using a lot of specialized spells.

Does one who uses only bound armor and weapons count as pure mage?
Does one who use bound weapons still have to swing them?

You mean it's hard to play pure mage in MW without some gamebreaking shit like levitation, insane mana regen through alchemy (or mace of Molag Bal) or restoration for +xxx buffs?
You don't need exploits to play as mage. What you do need is more than 1xINT magicka, else you'll simply not be able to use spells as your primary means of doing heavy duty shit.

Adul's advanced combat for stances, criticals, additional injury effects and so on. Highly recommended.
:bro:
Also, this.

Cadmus

Arcane
Pure caster is arguably the most interesting playstyle because stealth is bare bones and melee combat effectively amounts to whacking things till they're dead, while spellcasting requires thinking through, making and using a lot of specialized spells.
I don't know man, you keep going on about this but it just seems tedious and horribly ineffective considering the work necessary/performance ratio, which is especially bad given by how everything is easily killed with a warrior-ish class. (well at least as far as I remember, I haven't played it in a while) The system is great but it's put in a game that does not require it in the least, therefore there is hardly any pay-off except nice "larping" feeling (which I guess works for you).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom