Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1000 Year old vampire

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
So i found this little game, and I've never done a solo RPG before in my life but I have to recommend it.

Basically, you're a vampire. Vampires in this world can be as weak or as powerful as you want. You make up the four traits your "character" has, which are:

memories
records of your vampire's life. You have 5 memory slots, each slot can hold 3 experiences, and once you fill up all 5 slots you have to start losing them or recording them in a diary.

resources can be anything, from "standing army" to "untold riches" to "diaries" etc etc. You lose resources all of the time, so you can make up whatever outlandish shit you want and it doesn't matter.

skills again, straightforward

characters the people in your vampiric life.

So the gameplay is very simple and good, you have a list of prompts, which you start at number 1 and then roll 1d10 and 1d6 and subtract the d6 from the d10, moving forward or backward in the prompts(each prompt has 3 entries, so you just do the one, meaning you can roll the same number 3 times before hitting a repeat).

So you might say, "I am Caesar Tullius Marcus, super wealthy general and businessman and consulate of rome" and give yourself powerful allies and great resources and all of that shit changes once you start rolling those dice. You always start at prompt 1, which is "you kill one of the main people in your life as your first victim" and shit gets fucking loopy. so putting "legion of loyal soldiers" might sound OP, but if it's the last resource you got and the prompt tells you to lose it, you lose it, and you have to write down why. It's very creative-writing focused but god-fucking-damn it's easily one of the BEST games I've had a good two hours out of playing.

PDf is 15 bucks, I recommend.

VVV
My first playthrough below.

My vampire was a wealthy roman trader, killed his business partner as his first victim, then a hundred years of ???? passed and nobody but his slaves descendants were still around. They actually formed a cult around him, and this went fine until he lost his shit over nothing and killed all of them, except for the youngest member, a young lad who was too sickly to feed off of. He gave the lad to another vampire as a funny prank, made him sick, which caused his rival vampire to tip off some vampire hunters to fuck with him. By this point he didn't remember anything except that he had a wife(maybe?) about his old life but his name. His servant had a kid of his own, and the vampire made him into a perfect bodyguard/butler/accountant , and then forgot that the kid wasn't his, and just assumed that it was. In this time, he completely forgot to do finances, trading, etc, and got swindled out of his trading empire and connections by some business partners.

Then he turned his "son" into a vampire for no real reason, who got pissed off enough he burned down the family villa and disappeared. Things were kind of rough for a few decades, when the "son" returned, having himself forgotten why he was mad and gifted his "father" an insane asylum he'd purchased. It was here that the book told me that I had a prisoner or captive, so I decided my vampire had a patient who looked similar to his old wife. Then his memories got ruined again so he just assumed it was his wife. She was less happy about this but accepted it because she went from living in a psych ward to living on the grounds of one in the administrator's house and being generally allowed to indulge herself in whatever activities she wanted. Anyway some of the staff took objection to this, and then they found the bodies of all of his victims. oops! The locals burned the asylum to the ground and my vampire fled from italy to russia, and lived in a small hovel with his "wife" and "son" who had shown up again to hang out. My vmapire then had a temper tantrum, and I couldn't pick anyone to kill but his wife, so he did, and then forgot she even existed anyway, so its all good! Less good is that he forgot his name and just assumed it was "father" since his "son" was so brain-damaged from living for centuries that he also didn't remember anything. Then the immortal my vampire had fucked with however long ago, showed up and demanded repayment of a debt. Since I couldn't repay back anything (I lost all of my resources when the asylum was destroyed) he killed me.

Overall, an extremely depressing and tragic tale and I feel like this book is designed to do only this and do it well. I didn't even really feel like a vampire, it gave me more "hollow from dark souls" feel. But it's a great game. Play it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom