Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alphons

Cipher
mGYfiARB2urG7xbgUfa78gvUwND4fbcoIzHOgPH9YtE.jpg

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
4aFAiHq.png

We value your privacy said:
At any time you may withdraw or change your consent with the Manage Cookie Settings link in our privacy policy.

When I click on the SETTINGS button another thing pops out:
zDVw05h.png

Under the "Personalised ads and content, ad and content measurement, audience insights and product developement" and "All Vendors" tabs there are options I cannot switch off. They are represented as grey slider that cannot be turned on or off:
vpSBwwE.png

How someone can withdraw consent from those? Is there a choice at all?

That's the privacy overlay that you're using, so you can't turn off what you're turning other things off in. If you want to turn everything off you just turn off the 3 sliders that appear on the first screen. And before anyone starts with retarded conspiracy theories again, this is a simple cookie management tool, same as on every other website where you hit the button and ignore it. It doesn't do anything nefarious, it actually allows you to manage all the advertising cookies in detail.

The advertising on the Codex is explained in more detail in the sticky here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/ad-banners-about-problem-reports.11480/

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
If you want to turn everything off you just turn off the 3 sliders that appear on the first screen

Thanks! Clicking "Accept All" button turns those 3 sliders green. Do you know maybe how one can pernamently dissapear this "We value your privacy" popup without hitting the "Accept All" button, so it won't take a 1/3 space of the screen? I know that one can F12 and delete it, but it wll still load later on while browsing the formus:
jFdIM7G.png

Reload the page to get a fresh overlay and once you turn all 3 sliders to off, the text on the ACCEPT ALL button will change to SAVE + EXIT instead. So it's a dual-function button.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was gonna log in for the last time today as I'm sure some illiberal retarded moderator is trying to dox all of us nazis. But - just log in with a VPN and it doesn't appear.

:didntreadlol:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
This is why I use Brave. I get none of that.
Not a problem on my side.
just log in with a VPN and it doesn't appear.
Apparently this only pops up if you are in the EU, due to some stupid EU privacy law.

Outside the EU, all of these tracker cookies should be automatically loaded by your browser (unless your browser is set up to block them, of course).

Informative, but Brave disables tracking by default. Sure the browser will accept the cookie and after that it can't broadcast.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Apparently this only pops up if you are in the EU, due to some stupid EU privacy law.

Outside the EU, all of these tracker cookies should be automatically loaded by your browser (unless your browser is set up to block them, of course).
Yeah, EU's stupid privacy law means you get a choice to disable that shit, while everywhere else all you do gets tracked by default.

Also, Brave indeed doesn't show this even in the EU because it has it disabled anyway. (or maybe you can disable it in the settings, I'm not sure)

Yeah, EU's stupid privacy law means you get a choice to disable that shit, while everywhere else all you do gets tracked by default.
Since you are speaking highly of these pop ups, I will have to assume that you don't live in the EU and aren't plagued by this nonsense.

The problem is that the pop up appears on every fucking web site, even if you already use Brave or a chrome/firefox extensions to automatically block the tracking cookies. You need another extension just to block the popups and it often doesn't even work correctly.

Having to explicitly opt out of tracking on every single web site you visit is a pain in the ass, so most people just click OK to make the pop up quickly disappear. That said, the EU law doesn't change much for the technologically inept, it just makes web surfing more annoying.

All said, the law is stupid, because the people who created it are stupid. It would have made more sense to just completely ban tracking cookies, because nobody wants to be tracked anyway.

Also, Brave indeed doesn't show this even in the EU
Brave actually does show the pop up.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Since you are speaking highly of these pop ups, I will have to assume that you don't live in the EU and aren't plagued by this nonsense.

The problem is that the pop up appears on every fucking web site, even if you already use Brave or a chrome/firefox extensions to automatically block the tracking cookies. You need another extension just to block the popups and it often doesn't even work correctly.

Having to explicitly opt out of tracking on every single web site you visit is a pain in the ass, so most people just click OK to make the pop up quickly disappear. That said, the EU law doesn't change much for the technologically inept, it just makes web surfing more annoying.

All said, the law is stupid, because the people who created it are stupid. It would have made more sense to just completely ban tracking cookies, because nobody wants to be tracked anyway.

Also, Brave indeed doesn't show this even in the EU
Brave actually does show the pop up.

The simple fix is to move to a non-EU faggot country. ;)

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It's better than just allowing everything, IMO. This way the inept may get an idea of what's going on, at least. Yeah, it's annoying, but I think one of the few good things EU has done, is their policy about this stuff.

They've actually heavily fined both Google and Facebook for the underhand shit they constantly pull, while the rest of the west simply sucks their cock.

Last edited:

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I'm using Firefox from EU, never saw anything like this on the Codex but other websites indeed do this.
I will try visiting the codex from safari later to see if the issue exists there.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Look all U 'Mericans, I aint in no scruffy EU; I'm a Brit yeah! We left 'dat faggot fing years ago. 'An I'm praud ta say I need an 'Merican VPN to skirt dis shit...

Ok, lemme jus sort out what I mean there...

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The EU managed to unify the warning stickers on cigarette packages, so why can't they fix this? Then you would need only one setting in the browser: bullshit on/off.

zapotec

Liturgist
The c
4aFAiHq.png

How someone can withdraw consent from those? Is there a choice at all?

This banner does not comply with the current GDPR, they must add an X to close the banner and a reject all button.
Some of the cookies senty by RPGCODEX expires after one year, the maximum time limit should be 12 months if i remember well.

Vatnik Wumao
And you can tell how much the Brussels apparatchiks care about your privacy when the popups default on most websites to all cookies being enabled rather than just the essential ones that you can't turn off. If privacy was the goal, the reverse would be the case, with people having to take the time to turn back on all the non-essential cookies if they so desired.

Codex Year of the Donut
It's better than just allowing everything, IMO. This way the inept may get an idea of what's going on, at least. Yeah, it's annoying, but I think one of the few good things EU has done, is their policy about this stuff.

They've actually heavily fined both Google and Facebook for the underhand shit they constantly pull, while the rest of the west simply sucks their cock.
"yeah we're being fucked but at least they tell us before they put the cock in our ass so it's better"
um ok

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom