Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate .

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Infinity Engine was a product of its time.

What was inexcusable was making a game decades later that used Unity to try and emulate it, including the shitty combat.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Infinity Engine provides the best d&d combat experience of any game ever released. You just have to do a high difficulty run of full SCS.

It's not necessarily a faithful representation of d&d combat, but it is the best one.

Ryzer

Arcane
There is nothing wrong with what op said, Dark Sun engine was much better all around despite being much older.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
That's an interesting opinion OP but IE games rank among the highest on RPG codex lists of the RPG games of all time

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Dumb AI is a good thing and intentional, players need dumb AI so they feel smart in game

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The tragedy is that more games were not made in this engine, and we got abominations like the NWN games instead.
I'll never get over this. When the Throne of Bhaal expansion took the adventure further south, my imagination went wild with visions of seeing further east, or west into the islands. Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment in retrospect appear to be miracles. What could have been we'll never know, but I will never forget how my heart sank when I saw Neverwinter Nights announced and the screenshots showed those horrific graphics. I knew it was all over. I don't think it was the best design for AD&D on PC, something like a slightly upgraded Gold Box first person exploration perspective with Dark Sun graphics for combat would probably be ideal, but it was an excellent one and a major loss when they changed direction.

Arthandas

Prophet
just ban this motherfucker already

49951-s30_ep6_sg_d061.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom