Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate .

The bit with the animations makes sense, I don't think they had the way to handle mutiple attacks per round without making it look retarded. NWN had more accurate combat animations, but way less things going on in your screen as well.

It's okay though, I mean, minis can't move ;)

ds

Cipher
Patron
NWN had more accurate combat animations, but way less things going on in your screen as well.
It really nails the minute-long pause where your character waits for the next turn.
Accurately representing the rules perhaps but I don't think it makes for a better experience in this case.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Infinity Engine provides the best d&d combat experience of any game ever released. You just have to do a high difficulty run of full SCS.

It's not necessarily a faithful representation of d&d combat, but it is the best one.
Not so. That honor belongs to Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil.
Ah, a man of culture.
The Toee engine is also really good looking. A shame it was not used in other games and mods.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Bunch of basic bitches.

"Toee looks good and has the best combat". What a deep, novel take on the subject. "Man of culture", lol. Newfags are easily impressed.

The good take, mine, is that toee is broken and unbalanced in most ways, without difficulty settings to adjust the experience. Without a dm to dynamicly manage the fight, tb combat is prone to not being good most of the time, especially on high levels and especiafuckingly in toee with it's lack of encounter design in most places.

IE with scs and ee qol and engine enhancments provides flawless high level combat that is strategic, knowlage based and highy cumstomisable. Anyone claming it's rt, reflexed based, ureadable, difficult to manage or any of that crap needs to git gud, or go play a flawed, but easy and pretty game like toee.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Newfags are easily impressed.
Watch your mouth, whore.
Fuck your Scs shit with its "tactical" combat.
Toee just shits all over it. Toee is a combat focused cRPG. Baldur's Gate is a story/combat melange.
"I spend 5 minutes trying to dispel a mage's spell protections. I also spend another 5 minutes pre buffing like crazy before every bloody fight in the game."
Scs tactical combat in a nutshell.

TOEE is comfortable to play, but it's not complex or hard enough to be truly memorable. I never had any problems at least. Gotta play it again though.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
One of the funniest aspects of the IE engine for me was that the combat animation isn't connected at all to the actual combat. Swinging a sword doesn't correspond to an actual attack role, they just have these generic animations of the characters flailing around with their weapons playing on a loop while the actual combat gets handled invisibly in the background.
Internally the engine affords each combatant their own timer/round, and they make their attack(s) when it's time.

The bit with the animations makes sense, I don't think they had the way to handle mutiple attacks per round without making it look retarded. NWN had more accurate combat animations, but way less things going on in your screen as well.

Minis? In my PnP? Revolting.
What's wrong? Afraid of microplastics?

0a9ba64a3518d8c0da19f163059e2e60.jpg

Camel

Scholar

NWN and Kotor have somewhat realistic and in case of the latter flashy animations with lightsabers when using an auto attack. Animating blocks with swords and shields, dodges and hits is great. Much better than when PC stands directly in front of a mob and swings and you see a “miss” pop-up like i.e. in Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom