Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 15 minutes into Risen i can already tell this is a good game

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Celebrating jank as if its something desirable is my least favorite codex meme.
Just because good design and good writing correlated with jank in the golden age, doesn't mean the jank itself is good. We like STALKER despite of the jank, not because of the jank.

Fucking posers.

shut up you bulgar mutt. I never once celebrated jank and if you're implying the combat in risen is janky, I would suggest your brain is janky. Dont step to me again or ill use my bitcoin coffers to hire a 12 year old on a BMX to do a drive by on you next time you go out for milk, and I'll have your mother and sisters trafficked into turkey to be prostitute for the rest of their natural lives. You've been warned.

Insulting the account of a person, because you have nothing to say about their argument, is my second least favorite codex meme.

You didn't put forth an argument you retarded slav hick. My least favorite codex meme is bulgarian posters, an annoying mix of german-tier autism and none of the intelligence.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
an annoying mix of german-tier autism and none of the intelligence
A bit like deciding what your favorite RPG is based on action combat mechanics and oh so cute low budget jank haha i'm such a hipster for liking bad things ;---))
Risen is great, for none of the reasons you listed. You come off as some child who's favorite songs are what someone else told you is good, without knowing why its good, trying to rationalize after the fact.
And take the advice given earlier, the ending is kinda crap. "Boss fights" are crap in general, the combat doesn't scale well to this level of asymmetry in power and the platforming/traversal doesn't get any better unlike in Morrowind, lets say.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
A bit like deciding what your favorite RPG is based on action combat mechanics and oh so cute low budget jank haha i'm such a hipster for liking bad things ;---))

Go on retard, quote exactly where i was doing this. Ill wait.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
The only low budget i referred to was that of risen 3 and i quite explicitly said i didnt like it. Furthermore i never once said risen is my favourite rpg. I praised the intro, the combat system and said i hope the story and characters are interesting. Hope this helps you with your ESLtarded reading comprehension. Far from me being a "hipster" what appears to be going on here is a 2018 poster i.e you, trying to play at being a old hand for forum cool guy points and looking like a moron in the process. Trod on Bogdan.

Terenty

Liturgist
Shit, for some reason i totally dismissed Risen out of existence... Thanks for reminder, gonna check it out

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Further impressions are I like this a lot. Having done lots of combat now, single and group, as well as levelling up a bit and unlocking new combat abilities, Im sure of it: the combat is leaps and bounds better than any other PB title ive tried. However, i will say the addition of stamina in ELEX is actually a really good idea, giving another stat to improve but also making combat more tactical.

Dialogues, voice acting and characters are top notch and fun. Quests so far, eh..... Ive not yet been to harbour town, but most of the shit in the swamp and the farm is pretty standard fetch/kill fare. Intrigue with Brogar undermining the Don is shaping up to be interesting, but so far theres nothing that stands out to me as very interesting questing.

Avarize

Magister
It's been a long time but iirc the town and monastery have some good quests. I also remember having some fun with a treasure hunt type quest.

Tigranes

Arcane
cretin Harbour Town is where the more 'interesting' quests are at, though it's all pretty basic Gothic formula stuff. The real beauty, as in any PB game, is the wilderness wandering and running into stuff above your paygrade.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i don't know why PB never expand Risen's combat formula and downgrade it basically in risen 2 and 3, and ELEX.

Risen 1 was great especially against humanoid enemy. the sidestep works and looks better than stupid dodge rolling, the hit detection, staggering ,etc were almost perfect and really a step further from gothic's combat. in risen 2 & 3 they just went and scrapped the whole thing made it like more of nu-ass creed combat but jankier (granted this is before all the new ass creed games).

ELEX is better than risen 2 and 3 and do like the "timing" combo mechanic, but you still dodge roll like autistic kid with sugar addiction and magic invincible hitbox.

Eisen

Learned
I remember playing this. I jumped with a high velocity into a cave and got stuck, then stopped playing, lol

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
so i fucked up by finding out that you can exploit human/humanoid single combat by just running past and around the enemies right shoulder, aka strafing left towards them. They will miss, and you can just smash them in the back. Fearing the worst, I launched ELEX and its the exact same thing. Now i cant unsee this. Fuck.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
True. Personally I even prefer Gothic 2 combat to ELEX'. Enemies had way more distinct attack patterns there. Plus your combos evolved with skill. But I guess Risen 1's was even better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom