Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2 Mass Effect interviews

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
2 Mass Effect interview for your amusement:

http://www.xe360.com/article/Mass_Effect/2871.html

Right from character creation in ME, where the player has detailed control over his or her character’s facial features, it is apparent Mass Effect is first and foremost a solid role playing game. In addition to physically choosing and customizing the lead character in the game, Mass Effect allows for tremendous character customization via traditional role playing game features like the player’s physical representation reflecting the character’s equipment at any given time and via control over the character’s stats, choice of character class and assignment of unique powers.
Translation: Of course, it's an RPG! You get to pick a character - physically, mind you, none of that virtual make-believe business, get unique powahz, and you can see all the weapons and armors on your character. If that aint role-playing, we don't know what is.

The choices you make in selecting characters for your squad and how you develop and equip those characters will give you a significant advantage, if you make the right choices!
Translation: Some characters suck ass, some character totally own, like lawn mowers own grass. For more explanations see KOTOR's balanced characters.

We’ve also got some pretty cool innovations in non-linear storytelling planned for Mass Effect – we’re really striving to push the art form of RPGs to a new level.
Let me guess, not 4 but 5! planets you can visit in any order? All those assholes who are trying to innovate and redefine the genre, should really take a look at games that were made a decade ago, like Darklands, and then just shut the fuck up.

It is also important to emphasize that Mass Effect will have strong and integrated role playing systems, even though it also has some very cool action elements.
God forbids someone would think it's a pure RPG: Yes, yes, it has some RPG elements, but let us assure you they would never get in the way of your HAWT AKSHUN!

Your characters also have a variety of combat skills that go beyond a typical shooter. Combat tech skills and a science-based form of superhuman abilities we call Biotics give some characters amazing alternatives to weapons.
Biotics isn't a good name, I think. They should call it The Science and throw in a few sayings like "May The Science be with you!" or something like that.

Here is the second interview:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/masseffect1.php

Human Shield

Augur
Don't worry the characters using space swords will totally rule Armor Piercing Explosive Tipped Assault Rifles.

Bioware game? Prepare for incomming Volourn. This time he'll argue how Bioware isn't a console developer despite the fact that this is their third console RPG.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"is their third console RPG"

They've made more PC RPGs.

Game over.

God my head is killing me.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't care if it's an RPG or not, so long as it's good. KotOR was good, Jade Empire was good, if Mass Effect is good, so much the better.

Right now, Mass Effect isn't even close to an RPG in mine eyes. If Bioware want's that title, they're gonna need to drop the whole "you're playing an FPS" thing. I feel they're crossing the line between stats determining what your chracter can do, and what your capabilities determine what you can do.

That said, I wouldn't mind hearing more information on Mass Effect as it comes up.

Doppelganger

Novice
The choices you make in selecting characters for your squad and how you develop and equip those characters will give you a significant advantage, if you make the right choices!

I had to read this statement a few times before appreciating quite how devoid of meaningful content it really is. Just try to negate the sentence, and you'll see what I mean.

But it does raise a further side-question for me: should it ever be possible to make a 'wrong' choice of character, stats and equipment in an RPG?

And from the other interview:

As mentioned above, your character’s appearance will change based on the armor being used so you get a combat payoff as well as a visual payoff for your progression in the game.

Wow! Equipping different armour changes the character's appearance! And stats! Truly next-gen concepts.

KOTOR is an IP of tremendous scope. Each planet or quest is, in a sense, an “episode” of KOTOR with a surprising and original theme. Over the course of the entire game, you will have experienced a wide range of strange and exciting locations and experiences. You’ll travel around the galaxy in a state-of-the-art starship. Inside, you’ll be able to explore several different decks and talk with crewmembers about your mission.

Oh, sorry, did I get the games confused?

Without giving away too many details, our goal is to allow a player to create a character for Mass Effect and play that same character across three major titles and additional downloadable adventures over the entire lifetime of Xbox 360, through the most epic science fiction adventure ever told!
This I find impressive, despite myself.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Mass Effect looks like total shit, but atleast Dragon Age looks alright so far.

BioWare sure does pick really shitty names for their games, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom