Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A change in SoZ's cohort system...

Radisshu

Prophet
JarlFrank said:
Yeah, this is lovely. I've just begun playing NWN2, and like it so far. Once I'm through the OC I'll play MotB, and SoZ sounds pretty awesome too. I like the optional party-creation part of it.

Really, the OC?

Warden

Arbiter
Radisshu said:
Really, the OC?

Why do you always have stupid one-liner "oh really?" remarks?
Nothing is more surprising than a devoted biowhore poster. Even more surprising than someone enjoying the NWN2 OC.

Radisshu

Prophet
Warden said:
Radisshu said:
Really, the OC?

Why do you always have stupid one-liner "oh really?" remarks?
Nothing is more surprising than a devoted biowhore poster. Even more surprising than someone enjoying the NWN2 OC.
Dearie, I was just surprised to see someone admittedly liking the NWN2 OC on the Codex. And I wouldn't really call myself a devoted Bioware poster, though I do visit the DA forum to see what the devs write about it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I liked the OC. I rate it on par with BG2. Then again, I never thought BG2 was anything special. Just a regular good game, with a large scope and subpar writing (and some of the worst NPCs ever).

Texas Red

Whiner
I don't approve of the decision. People play NWN 2 because of companions and interaction not because of combat. Oh yes, I'm sure everyone will be frilled to see the return of "Hi! Do you need a henchman?" in a single tavern. Heck, as RPGs advance in technology they should mimic P&P closer and have greater aspiration not revert back to dungeon crawling. Obsidian is purposely giving mediocre writing, yay.

Radisshu

Prophet
Dark Individual said:
I don't approve of the decision. People play NWN 2 because of companions and interaction not because of combat. Oh yes, I'm sure everyone will be frilled to see the return of "Hi! Do you need a henchman?" in a single tavern. Heck, as RPGs advance in technology they should mimic P&P closer and have greater aspiration not revert back to dungeon crawling. Obsidian is purposely giving mediocre writing, yay.

I think you're missing the point. It's not NWN, where henchmen serve as nothing but lockpickers/meatshields, and there's no tactical combat whatsoever. They're just returning to a more old-school way of approaching CRPGs, where you play the entire party. That there isn't that much companion banter and whatnot doesn't mean there won't be any C&C in quests.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Dark Individual said:

You don't approve of options?

Best experience I ever had in NWN2 was Pool of Radiance Remastered, which was heavy with combat. It was meaningful combat though and provided the drive to keep the story going, which is the old formula. Always worked for Gygax.

They're going old school and that's just fine with me.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Dark Individual said:

It is a little more involved than THAT. Some cohorts need to be recruited, some need to be found, and I think even a couple need to be rescued, all before joining.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
What Anthony said. They're not like "HAY YOU NEED HELPZ?!" people - they have a cost, or need to be saved, or need a favor, or the like. Some help because they feel you did 'em a solid - some help because they are opportunisitic hangers-on and they think you may possibly end up bein' some hot shit, and they want in on the "ground floor" so to speak. One is kind of crazy, or possibly actually divinely touched (I have to admit that the nature of religion in FR is kind of fascinating to me, that something most settings could pass off as "oh, they got 'a message from god', they're psycho" could actually MEAN they DID get a message from their deity in FR - especially if they're not the most popular deity ever and don't have a butt-ton of worshippers), one is in it for the money, and one you have to convince you're really out there to do what you say.

Also, if you try to get certain cohorts to talk to you when they're at one extreme and you're at another, you might run into problems. The amoral rogue who's not fond of goody two-shoes types is gonna give you some lip when you talk to them, and if you're an evil mcmurderpants and you talk to the paladin obviously he is gonna be like "um no you is bad news, I can sense it with my divine paladin EvilDar(TM)."

They're not cardboard cutouts, and although they sadly aren't as fleshed-out as George's masterful MotB companions, I did my fuck-dammdest to make sure they weren't boring or irritating or one-sided. And yes they have VO. In fact I did the VO for one of them, so if you hate her voice I promise you THAT IS NOT HOW I ACTUALLY SOUND LIKE, IT WAS ACTING.

In short, I hopes you like them, the end.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
My sass-talkin' welcomes your criticism and praise in amounts you feel deserving, Codexers. I said before if anyone can't take criticism, they fail at being a designer, and thus I strive to learn and not the Teh Failz.

(Although in all fairness calling someone an "emofag," "homodouche," or a "gay robot" isn't really "criticism" per se.)

Lumpy

Arcane
Annie Carlson said:
(Although in all fairness calling someone an "emofag," "homodouche," or a "gay robot" isn't really "criticism" per se.)
What is calling someone a "gay robot" supposed to be, anyway?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
On a related note, while the Obsidian boy&girl are around: how is XP handled in SoZ? Will it be like in NWN2 where everyone, in the party or back at the base, gets a set amount each time XP is awarded, or will it be like standard D&D where the party gets a set amount which is then divided among the party members?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Lumpy said:
What is calling someone a "gay robot" supposed to be, anyway?
He obviously means that you are a zero while he is no. 1...uhm...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom