Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Codex Pathfinder game?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Has anyone done this?
Are there any codex Pathfinder groups out there?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I ran a short-lived one in the playground a while ago in the playground, until Real Life™ sadly forced me to spend my prep time on other things. There was a lot of interest when I put up my pilot thread in the playground, so if someone else is brave enough to try their hand at DMing, they could do worse than posting a thread there. The Codexians provide a great deal more LARP than the people from my old college I still play with (they're kick-in-the-door type people). So there's plenty of entertainment for the DM watching his players bicker and argue amongst themselves.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-adventures-logs-from-session-1-posted.67117/

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Yep, the group with Ulminati was great fun. Too bad the campaign ended prematurely, didn't even finish our first adventure. Sad face :(

Lots of people wanted to get in, so the demand was there absolutely :D

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If I were to do something like this today, I would probably have gone for Shadowrun instead. It seems ideally suited to the codexian tendency to be sociopaths. It also requires a lot less pre-session setup in my experience, since combat is mostly people shooting each other with guns. That allows you to abstract movement and skip battlemaps and player tokens entirely. I found a stack of old building blueprints and an overhead view of a city to pin map notes to lets you run a SR campaign pretty much on the fly if you're setting-savvy.

Heck, the longest-running SR campaign I had I basically just decided on 4 factions opposing each other, gave each of them a goal to work towards and let the players loose as a chaos factor. Whenever they aided/foiled one of the factions, I then decided what would be the most likely reaction. Of course, that ended with most of Denver in flames, half the players turning into toxic shamans and everyone being killed by an angry dragon when they tried to kill it to use its corpse to fuel a blood magic ritual to contain a bug spirit infestation. In the post-campaign wrap-up, we decided that Ares Macrotechnology probably ended up nuking the city from orbit.

The people I play with are a study in creative ineptitude :D

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Then start something, Major_Blackhart. My old LP had 20-something people willing to play when I made a thread in the playground. But unless someone is willing to step up as GM, nothing happens.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Oh, come on! I just got the Core Rulebook and started reading it!

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd be interested, I just don't know if my skill in speaking English is high enough to participate. Or rather my skill in proper understanding of the English language via Skype / TS / Ventrilo.

Alex

Arcane
If I were to do something like this today, I would probably have gone for Shadowrun instead. It seems ideally suited to the codexian tendency to be sociopaths. It also requires a lot less pre-session setup in my experience, since combat is mostly people shooting each other with guns. That allows you to abstract movement and skip battlemaps and player tokens entirely. I found a stack of old building blueprints and an overhead view of a city to pin map notes to lets you run a SR campaign pretty much on the fly if you're setting-savvy.

Heck, the longest-running SR campaign I had I basically just decided on 4 factions opposing each other, gave each of them a goal to work towards and let the players loose as a chaos factor. Whenever they aided/foiled one of the factions, I then decided what would be the most likely reaction. Of course, that ended with most of Denver in flames, half the players turning into toxic shamans and everyone being killed by an angry dragon when they tried to kill it to use its corpse to fuel a blood magic ritual to contain a bug spirit infestation. In the post-campaign wrap-up, we decided that Ares Macrotechnology probably ended up nuking the city from orbit.

The people I play with are a study in creative ineptitude :D

In this hypothetical game, which edition would we you be using? Would you like to play any on any specific city or setting?

Also, while I have a little too much on my plate for a Pathfinder game, have you guys considered rotating the GM duty? That way, planning adventures won't be a big burden on anyone. You can also start from a ready made world so you have maps, city details and all that. I know some good settings and mega-dungeons if you guys are interested in that kind of game. They are made to be used with earlier editions of D&D, but it isn't that hard to convert them (though they might not be balanced as you might want for this kind of system).

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
In this hypothetical game, which edition would we you be using? Would you like to play any on any specific city or setting?

I find 4th ed seems to be the easiest to teach new players. And while decking is watered down compared to the jacking in of older editions, at leas you won't have to put the rest of the group on hold for several hours to give the decker time to shine.

For settings, it would depend on the hypothetical group. Seattle is kind of overdone in my opinion. Denver is pretty cool and still has a lot of material released. If it was only up to be, I think the SR Copenhagen would be pretty cool. Both because I am familiar with how the city is today and because the way it was treated in Shadows of Europe in 3rd ed is pretty cool.

Also, while I have a little too much on my plate for a Pathfinder game, have you guys considered rotating the GM duty? That way, planning adventures won't be a big burden on anyone. You can also start from a ready made world so you have maps, city details and all that. I know some good settings and mega-dungeons if you guys are interested in that kind of game. They are made to be used with earlier editions of D&D, but it isn't that hard to convert them (though they might not be balanced as you might want for this kind of system).

We've done this with pathfinder in the past. It requires a lot of initial setup, as everyone has to collaborate to set up some common background information for whichever area the campaign(s) take place in. As well as houserules and guidelines for how much karma/loot is given out. People can then maintain their own stable of NPCs aside from their character and his/her contacts to pull from when it's their turn to GM. Since most shadowrun campaigns follow the pattern of: Meet Johnson -> legwork -> planning -> actual run -> inevitable doublecross™, it's quite easy to rotate GM duty between runs and award the PC belonging to the guy who GM'ed the same average karma (possibly plus a little extra since he did a lot of the work) as the players so everyone's on a level playing field. The GM hat can then pass to the next guy who has a run ready and his fixer can call the players. This allows multiple storyarchs maintained by seperate GMs while keeping the PCs and setting consistent. It even allows one GM to build on locations, events, characters or organizations one of the other GMs made.

This actually works out pretty well, as most SR-esque plots have a lot of downtime between individual runs while events spawned from the runners success or failure unfold and their fixer calls upon them again. Having them to jobs from someone else in the meantime makes sense. It also means that player dropout, integration and instability is less of an issue, as people generally just have to commit for one run at a time.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Noy Køb-based gentlemen, but have fun.

Actually im also currently running a kingmaker campaign. Its awesome.
Are you up to the second book yet? If so, how are you finding kingdom management? I must say that I find it dead boring, but it feels necessary in order to advance the game, so it's just this arduous task we struggle through before getting to the core of gameplay. Other than that I've found it to be a decent module so far.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Noy Køb-based gentlemen, but have fun.

Actually im also currently running a kingmaker campaign. Its awesome.
Are you up to the second book yet? If so, how are you finding kingdom management? I must say that I find it dead boring, but it feels necessary in order to advance the game, so it's just this arduous task we struggle through before getting to the core of gameplay. Other than that I've found it to be a decent module so far.

Just starting the second book, and just started the city building aspect. It seems ok and some of the players have taken an interest, but in the end i think interest will dwindle down to a few.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom