Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper A Dane and a Swede argue about MOBAs, also Crime & Punishment

Hormalakh

Magister
a single player RPG is more casual than a competitive game bro

:flamesaw:

that's like saying reading Crime & Punishment is more casual than playing Monopoly...

LOL @ equating Crime and Punishment to pretty much any RPG.

The only RPG that maybe...just maybe could reach this is Planescape:Torment. Otherwise, any other RPG would be

reading Thomas the Tank Engine is more casual than playing chess.

I don't presume to think that any RPG story is the best way to disseminate important ideas. the derpitude in this thread shows how much people care about PoE as a game first over its story. this holds true for most RPGs.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I will never understand why you foreigners think that Crime and Punishment is that good. It's a very boring book about one young man who lost his mind and killed an old lady with an axe. PST has a better story than that.

DefJam101

Arcane
High level Moba play is sorta difficult, it's just not difficult in an enjoyable or interesting way, being 80% memorization / theorycrafting and 20% APM

Hormalakh

Magister
I will never understand why you foreigners think that Crime and Punishment is that good. It's a very boring book about one young man who lost his mind and killed an old lady with an axe. PST has a better story than that.
it is a look at the philosophical arguments made during the time that were significant in society. it made very poignant points towards that end. an example would be utilitarianism.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
a single player RPG is more casual than a competitive game bro

:flamesaw:

that's like saying reading Crime & Punishment is more casual than playing Monopoly...

LOL @ equating Crime and Punishment to pretty much any RPG.

I'm not equating any game at all to C&P. I'm saying that the general notion that competitive gaming is automatically better than single player gaming is pretty fucking dumb, and I use a hyperbolic example to make that point.

DefJam101

Arcane
Before this thread came around I never would have guessed that people played singleplayer CRPGs for their challenge and tactical depth

Stompa

Arcane

Spoken like a true faggot who've only read it because he was forced to at school

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

Hormalakh

Magister
i think the point was lost while everyone was comparing their dick size.

the point is that DOTA and other MOBAs do certain things right that RPGs especially isometric RPGs could stand to benefit if they look at their reasoning behind it. A lot of these RPGs are not really tactically challenging and they can stand to have certain changes made to make them so. the casual players will still have their story-mode. the ones who want a challenge, should be allowed to have something.

Monad

Learned
i think the point was lost while everyone was comparing their dick size.

the point is that DOTA and other MOBAs do certain things right that RPGs especially isometric RPGs could stand to benefit if they look at their reasoning behind it. A lot of these RPGs are not really tactically challenging and they can stand to have certain changes made to make them so. the casual players will still have their story-mode. the ones who want a challenge, should be allowed to have something.

Don't MOBAs consist of shitty MMO combat? :dance:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
DotA's gameplay is actually pretty complex.

Most of the good stuff about it is actually accidental ramifications of Blizzard's Warcraft 3 mechanics highlighted by modding plus very good map design.

It's also been iterated on for just under 10 years, although I think that the game has gone through hills and valleys. I'd consider it to be in a mechanical slump at the moment - making things more popamole to compete with League of Legends.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sensuki is cool for not dismissing lessons from mobas out of hand, and a retard for thinking there is a significant different in complexity between DotA and its compadres (League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth et al). League of Legends for example compensates for less complex "superficial mechanics" like denial with much, much more lane aggressiveness and a larger focus on player vs. player mechanics and skill shots.

In the end though, these mechanical differences are insignificant compared to the differences between these games and something like Starcraft which is much more demanding on a professional level (even if I get fucking bored playing that shit myself).

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I never liked Starcraft 2 anywhere near as much as the first one. Blizzard killed it with the expansion as well.

I know this is pretty OT but I pretty much see it this way

DotA is a 50 over cricket game. It can be exciting, it can be boring. Depends on the meta, the match etc - much more room for variation with lineups.

LoL is a 20/20 Cricket game. It's technically more exciting and you see more boundaries and sixes, but it is an inferior game.

I think 20/20 Cricket is fucking terrible just like I think DotA derivatives are terrible. Many people don't like the amount of superficial mechanics that DotA has but I think those are the things that make it exceptional and every little thing like that adds to player skill. That's just me - I don't think there's anything wrong with the farm game - there's macro and micro to consider rather than just hurr hurr all in 5 man push and ganks.

HoN was actually pretty good in the beta, then they killed it just around the time the full version came out when they started making heroes that have everything - nuke, escape mechanism and ridiculous boom ults.

ITT: People unironically compare RPGs negatively to MOBAS under the guise of making some point that was already made and forgotten pages ago. :decline:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
a retard for thinking there is a significant different in complexity between DotA and its compadres (League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth et al). League of Legends for example compensates for less complex "superficial mechanics" like denial with much, much more lane aggressiveness and a larger focus on player vs. player mechanics and skill shots.
yeah keeping down the enemy's exp and gold gain is superficial and not at all how you get ahead outside of kills and base raze.

this is a discussion for another thread, but I would really like to see how LoL has a bigger emphasis on "skill shots". as I understand it, LoL has many visual aids to see where stuff lands, and things do not deal as much damage or has as big impact as a successfully landed ability in Dota. also, how can you say it has much more lane aggressiveness when it's entirely possible to spend an entire game of dota just focusing on 1-2 lanes with constant fighting..?
I really think you're out of your depth in this discussion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom