Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout A Fallout 1/2 inspired isometric cRPG from New Blood Interactive

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The issue with that kind of combat has always been that it removes the major tactical element of positioning. There have been attempts to add it back in(e.g., Wiz8 party formations), but it's not the same. Without positioning, the games slide much closer to pop-a-mole(in the truest sense) gameplay.
So, like the two original Fallouts then? Not "in the truest sense" just "popamole" as it sometimes used in the Codex. Any combat where you can't give specific orders to your teammates is like that. Unless you make it a proper low-level tactical game with teams or even squads but then we are probably not talking CRPG anymore.

People who claim that Fallout 1 combat was fine are out of their minds. There is a crucial difference between "fine" and "fun". Fallout 1 combat was mechanically very lacking. Additionally build variety in combat was only ok-ish and the combat encounter design was poor. Enemy variety wasn't great either. And it was too easy. It was "fun" nonetheless because it was mostly fast, had cool animation and body part shooting. However if someone want a repeat - i don't even... If you are making a Fallout 1 inspired game - make a properly interesting combat or at least make it different. If i have to choose between some kind of 1st person blob-erish combat and the original - i want the former. As long as it is as much tactical as a blob gameplay allows it. Obviously a proper tactical 3rd person combat would be much better but i'm willing to try blob. Also, please, make the game have any difficulty to speak of.
I believe it all come from the Fallout 1 status here on the Dex. Since it is considered by some a "holy grail" instead of very good but flawed game - as it should - people stopped seeing the "flawed" part and simply want more of the same "best game". Well, you got it. Atom to the rescue.
games where you directly control more than one character aren't rpgs unless you're schizophrenic
No (single player) computer game was ever an "rpg". Rpg is by definition a type of entertainment you do with other people. Anyone who claims to "play a role" in a single player computer game - in front of an inanimate object aka computer - is either crazy or a moron.

See. Others can play with you but it gets old very fast so let's not do it here. Please?
Are you one of those people that can't visualize things in their head?
No. Are You? Anything more you wan't to know? I like chocolate ice cream, classical music and historical novels. I also love craft beer, can't stand the mass produced one since i started a ~decade ago.

Codex Year of the Donut
The issue with that kind of combat has always been that it removes the major tactical element of positioning. There have been attempts to add it back in(e.g., Wiz8 party formations), but it's not the same. Without positioning, the games slide much closer to pop-a-mole(in the truest sense) gameplay.
So, like the two original Fallouts then? Not "in the truest sense" just "popamole" as it sometimes used in the Codex. Any combat where you can't give specific orders to your teammates is like that. Unless you make it a proper low-level tactical game with teams or even squads but then we are probably not talking CRPG anymore.

People who claim that Fallout 1 combat was fine are out of their minds. There is a crucial difference between "fine" and "fun". Fallout 1 combat was mechanically very lacking. Additionally build variety in combat was only ok-ish and the combat encounter design was poor. Enemy variety wasn't great either. And it was too easy. It was "fun" nonetheless because it was mostly fast, had cool animation and body part shooting. However if someone want a repeat - i don't even... If you are making a Fallout 1 inspired game - make a properly interesting combat or at least make it different. If i have to choose between some kind of 1st person blob-erish combat and the original - i want the former. As long as it is as much tactical as a blob gameplay allows it. Obviously a proper tactical 3rd person combat would be much better but i'm willing to try blob. Also, please, make the game have any difficulty to speak of.
I believe it all come from the Fallout 1 status here on the Dex. Since it is considered by some a "holy grail" instead of very good but flawed game - as it should - people stopped seeing the "flawed" part and simply want more of the same "best game". Well, you got it. Atom to the rescue.
games where you directly control more than one character aren't rpgs unless you're schizophrenic
No (single player) computer game was ever an "rpg". Rpg is by definition a type of entertainment you do with other people. Anyone who claims to "play a role" in a single player computer game - in front of an inanimate object aka computer - is either crazy or a moron.

See. Others can play with you but it gets old very fast so let's not do it here. Please?
Are you one of those people that can't visualize things in their head?
No. Are You? Anything more you wan't to know? I like chocolate ice cream, classical music and historical novels. I also love craft beer, can't stand the mass produced one since i started a ~decade ago.
Sorry to hear you killed your brain with alcohol

Harthwain

Magister
People who claim that Fallout 1 combat was fine are out of their minds. There is a crucial difference between "fine" and "fun". Fallout 1 combat was mechanically very lacking. Additionally build variety in combat was only ok-ish and the combat encounter design was poor. Enemy variety wasn't great either. And it was too easy. It was "fun" nonetheless because it was mostly fast, had cool animation and body part shooting.
It's interesting you make this distinction, because I always found combat in Fallout series (this includes Tactics) to be fine. You say it was "mechanically very lacking" but for me it was appropriate for a turn-based RPG. Especially when, as you yourself have said, it was fast, had cool animations and you could target specific body parts for localized damage that had bigger impact than "shoot your target until it's dead". So, yeah, combat was about right.

You can play an RPG with a GM and a single player. If you need more characters the GM can fill in the spots with NPCs and act for them. RPG is inherently linked to who you are and what you can do (as a character, which you can create yourself). That's it.

The reason why cRPGs became narratively-driven is because in a singleplayer game it's hard to provide a virtual equivalent of a human GM. And the reason why there were singleplayer RPGs is because back then multiplayer wasn't as widespread (nor as successful) as it is now. By now RPGs that we have are merely rooted in the past (more or less recent) and it's obvious people have hard time breaking out of established patterns. I really wish for a fresh Neverwinter Nights 1 project, considering how easy it is (comparatively) to create multiplayer-focused games nowadays.

Then again, I guess you could just as well re-create a tabletop session without having to make a video game out of it... All you really need is a relatively simple program to put in assets on the virtual table (akin to Tabletop Simulator, which is used for playing tabletop games).

there's more on his twitter, but can only post 5 media

Anyway, that's all for now. Everything is still very WIP, but the work continues! Follow me for more occasional random updates on my dream game that we may or may not ever finish :)
not a fan of that last part, "may or may not ever finish"

Last edited:

Anyway, that's all for now. Everything is still very WIP, but the work continues! Follow me for more occasional random updates on my dream game that we may or may not ever finish :)

Yeah I gotta say I'm not impressed as I was hoping to be. It's literally just Fallout and I'd really prefer if they at least made some things different. I feel like I'm looking at someone's total conversion mod. I'll still play it but only when it's discounted to like, what, 4 bucks? And it'd be farrrrrrr down my backlog. Here's hoping the new car combat game they going on, is better.

rojay

Scholar

Was the "flying cars" thing in that first video some sort of inside joke?

i don't think so, also i believe the flying car / jetson stuff was partly an inspiration to the original games in some capacity but i could be wrong. it's not really an outlandish addition either way in a game with energy weapons. all a flying car really is, is a VTOL/helicopter

also keep in mind this world seems to be the "what if" fallout but no nuclear war so everything everywhere isn't totally shitty :lol:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can't lie and say that that doesn't look at least somewhat intriguing. I hope the firstperson combat does take use of distance, cover and movement (and perhaps even elevation) in some abstract form for a nice dicerolly goodness.

Ryzer

Arcane
Can't lie and say that that doesn't look at least somewhat intriguing. I hope the firstperson combat does take use of distance, cover and movement (and perhaps even elevation) in some abstract form for a nice dicerolly goodness.
I'm frankly surprised that Zenimax hasn't taken down this project for plagiarism long ago.

Drowed

Arcane
As I understand it, the combat would be like a blobber? But with only one character? It doesn't seem like something that will offer much depth, but as long as the rest of the game is fun enough, it's not a dealbreaker. It has a cool factor in the visuals, which if you have good animations might make the combat interesting enough.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
As I understand it, the combat would be like a blobber? But with only one character? It doesn't seem like something that will offer much depth, but as long as the rest of the game is fun enough, it's not a dealbreaker. It has a cool factor in the visuals, which if you have good animations might make the combat interesting enough.

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm expecting. I wouldn't put it past them to do a little bit of extra work to add a little abstract tactical layer of intrigue. I mean, I don't know who the developer is, but it's kinda... how to put it... obvious thing to look at with the combat event. In any case, though, I suppose the game will be a sum of its parts rahter than shining on one or two aspects. Which is fine with me, as long as it is good and has plenty of intearactivity.

rojay

Scholar

i don't think so, also i believe the flying car / jetson stuff was partly an inspiration to the original games in some capacity but i could be wrong. it's not really an outlandish addition either way in a game with energy weapons. all a flying car really is, is a VTOL/helicopter

also keep in mind this world seems to be the "what if" fallout but no nuclear war so everything everywhere isn't totally shitty :lol:

No, I just meant that the hovering car in that largely static shot was not what I'd expect from a developer trying to show off their game, and particularly not if you want to show "flying cars." To the point I thought it could be an ironic joke.

Hope the game works out though.

No, I just meant that the hovering car in that largely static shot was not what I'd expect from a developer trying to show off their game, and particularly not if you want to show "flying cars." To the point I thought it could be an ironic joke.

Hope the game works out though.

i don't know how they would work/look in practice and i'm just guessing here, but i think it's behind the scenes stuff red888guns has been making. if you check out his other artwork, it looks pretty similar in style etc

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
It looks nice. I wanna play the original Fallouts but they’re really showing their age on my new windows 11 gaming desktop with a 4K monitor. The UI doesn’t scale well and I have to mess with compatibility settings… I know it’s a classic but video games are uniquely bad at aging due to technical incompatibilities not present in film or books.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It looks nice. I wanna play the original Fallouts but they’re really showing their age on my new windows 11 gaming desktop with a 4K monitor. The UI doesn’t scale well and I have to mess with compatibility settings… I know it’s a classic but video games are uniquely bad at aging due to technical incompatibilities not present in film or books.
You can play it on Win11 with a CRT shader, would work great on a 4k panel, described here: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/fallout-2-mod-play-through.146248/page-2#post-8471119

goregasm

Scholar
I'm actually doing a run through of some classics, BG series, arcanum, was playing FO1 last night, I use a 70 inch 4k tv, the hi res patch helps a bit with higher scale.

Obviously not running it in 4k but it's playable in 1080 depending on if one wants to keep their vision in old age.

If you haven't played through the first it's definitely worth a go, even at 800, if that makes the ui bearable.

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Also try integer upscale options. I tried it with F1 and I liked it a lot. I also finished my BG1 run recently with an integer upscale and I will never ever return to any of the high-res options.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
It's look too good to be real. Probably end as never finished project or plain russian scam.
the CEO did literally say that it may not ever come out. but it seems retarded to pay someone to create so many assets if you didn't intend to make it happen
Laundering money always needs some cost. For example, if mafia uses a restaurant, the must pay for maintenance (wainters, food, taxes…). But everything depend of scale. Maybe New blood works with really small mafia :D

ArchAngel

Arcane
I hope this is real gameplay and not only animation, it looks great.

That UI is straight rip off Fallout 1/2 LOL. Also it is too big for 2023, I do not need c/p from old UI but an improved version of it. F1/2 UI was cool looking but barely useful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom