Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Pirate's Life In Risen 2: Dark Waters (IGN)

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Zed said:
It's pirate-themed, so we're going for a high number of f**ks per minute
I don't recall a single fuck in Risen.
Hope it's not too awkward.
You don't recall too much then. The game had quite a bit, pretty much on the level Fallout 3, etc...

Metro said:
"For Risen 2 we've put the funnel upside down, so we're starting out quite linear, and opening out."

Apparently most of you all glossed over that. The linear/accessible adjectives are meant to describe the introduction, not the entire game. Anyway, as pointed out, the previous games became linear by the third act or so. So rather than starting out open and going linear they're doing the reverse. Why is that bad?

Whether they accomplish that or not is another story but dismissing the possibility because you misread the article is silly. I'm actually grateful they recognized that glaring flaw and are going to at least try to change their design philosophy.
Yes, if they manage to actually pull that off this will be the best Risen/Gothic game. The endings have always been the Gothic games' biggest flaws (aside from Gothic 3 which was just shit throughout).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Risen was in fact linear once you got to act two or three. To say that isn't trolling just stating the truth.

Captain Shrek

toro said:
Captain Shrek said:
Saxon1974 said:
More linear and "more accessible"

my interest in this game just went down ALOT

Risen was already LINEAR.

How is Retardo-Land this time of the year?

If you tell me why it was NOT linear past the faction joining part I will admit that my post was retarded.

Murk

Arcane
I do not understand the implied complaints people had for the first Risen. The game literally guides you with in-game explanations and floating text as to how to arm, use, and find items until you get to a house where you are taught to cook, investigate, and continue on to a mini-dungeon with new/different enemies and finally on to another NPC who LITERALLY TAKES YOU TO WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.

Yes, you could just run off to the side but holy fuck people that's YOUR fault.

Whatever. PB has never let me down before -- this is a sure-buy for me.

It's a little disappointing that there's no actual sailing in Risen 2: Dark Waters, given that it makes such a big deal of its cohesive and believable world. Once you've commandeered a ship, you flit from island to island in a map screen rather than taking on the high seas, which rather undermines the sense of cohesion. Oberlerchner provides good justification, though: try to do everything at once, and you'll end up not doing any of it very well.

I am likewise somewhat dismayed but am more than happy with the reason and logic behind it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The first free shield and sword are slightly off the beaten path in the tutorial area, and I'm guessing a lot of people missed them so they had a far more difficult time managing with just a club. Every creature in that tutorial area has nerfed stats compared to creatures of their type in the rest of chapter 1 which makes the fear of exploration funnier.

Captain Shrek

Vault Dweller said:
Captain Shrek said:
VD, all your claims mean that Arkham city is the best RPG that can be. It has level ups, is non-linear and is open-sandbox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbCOM0vIltk
It has level ups so it must be an RPG?

Its not!

That's what I have been hollering since I joined. RPG today is what the distributor calls an RPG. We have so many debates over RPGs because people look at labels. If we have a Unified system of definitions for C-R-P-G-s we would actually be able to classify things.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Captain Shrek said:
If we have a Unified system of definitions for C-R-P-G-s we would actually be able to classify things.
I really would like to see someone creating such definition...

Oh wait, 99% of teh Codex already posted about what a TR00 RPG is, so we debate if is necessary to include C&C or not, and them we proceed to fight about wtf is C&C and if JA:2 is an RPG...

Also:
standards.png

Captain Shrek

felipepepe said:
Captain Shrek said:
If we have a Unified system of definitions for C-R-P-G-s we would actually be able to classify things.
I really would like to see someone creating such definition...

Oh wait, 99% of teh Codex already posted about what a TR00 RPG is, so we debate if is necessary to include C&C or not, and them we proceed to fight about wtf is C&C and if JA:2 is an RPG...

Also:
standards.png

NOT TRUE. Standards are not difficult to decide. Its convincing the people that they should adhere to their OWN standard, that's the problem.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Lack of sailing is disappointing? Let's not make the game into something it isn't. It's one thing to have freedom of exploring on the various islands you sail to and find things off the beaten path but it's entirely another to have to design sailing mechanics and an entire maritime map that you have to populate with obscure islands, sunken treasure, treacherous reefs, killer squid, etc. etc. It's just not viable and far beyond the scope of the game.

Varn

Educated
Bla bla bla.

It says it's a pirate simulator.

Automatic 10/10 from me.

Avast!

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
There's a release date now:
http://www.gamedot.co.uk/2011/12/14/rel ... announced/

14th December 2011 – Hampshire, UK/… Deep Silver and Piranha Bytes today announced the official release date for the epic pirate RPG Risen 2: Dark Waters as April 24th, 2012 for USA and Canada and April 27th, 2012 for countries in Europe.

Both companies also revealed the final packshot of the game showing the emblematic pirate Jolly Roger (skull and crossbones) – but with a Risen 2 twist.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Angelo85 said:

14th December 2011 – Hampshire, UK/… Deep Silver and Piranha Bytes today announced the official release date for the epic pirate RPG Risen 2: Dark Waters as April 24th, 2012 for USA and Canada and April 27th, 2012 for countries in Europe.

Both companies also revealed the final packshot of the game showing the emblematic pirate Jolly Roger (skull and crossbones) – but with a Risen 2 twist.

:bounce:

Please don't fuck this up PB/Deep Silver......

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Jaesun said:
Angelo85 said:

:bounce:

Please don't fuck this up PB/Deep Silver......
Yes, please don't fuck this up.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Ultimately I think most of us will be mildly disappointed but it will still be better than 99% of games released today.

Kraszu

Prophet
I am really worried about the combat system, please please don't dumb it down.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
PB, PLEASE DON'T FUCK IT UP!!!

This is the proper way :D

Dantus12

Educated
Combat looks horrible, with swords and illogical with guns, the
"improved animations," work on apparently everything and everyone except the player character which is truly frustrating.

Teh console is stronger for me than in Skyrim.

The general opinion will be:
But the interface is in squares so square are the keys on my keyboard - it's PC, if it round it's console because round are the buttons of a controller.

Disappointing, when watching the videos the world feels limited, a similar problem with character positioning like DA2. Well, they will get their Gothic license back from Joo Wood so there's hope.
Optimizing a Genome clone for consoles, teh RAM will give us small islands and problematic travel between islands with lots of water and nothing else, but hey there's no visible loading now.
Somehow doesn't look good at all (not about visuals), and I liked the first game allot, but the idea with this aim thingy and auto reload and auto focus and these HB over NPC heads so much chaos. Zero reactivity from NPC''s when combat occurs, and if they think releasing multiplat, good luck with it in the next 2 months, to get all the problems right.

Kraszu

Prophet
Dantus12 said:
Combat looks horrible, with swords and illogical with guns, the
"improved animations," work on apparently everything and everyone except the player character which is truly frustrating.

Teh console is stronger for me than in Skyrim.

The general opinion will be:
But the interface is in squares so square are the keys on my keyboard - it's PC, if it round it's console because round are the buttons of a controller.

Disappointing, when watching the videos the world feels limited, a similar problem with character positioning like DA2. Well, they will get their Gothic license back from Joo Wood so there's hope.
Optimizing a Genome clone for consoles, teh RAM will give us small islands and problematic travel between islands with lots of water and nothing else, but hey there's no visible loading now.
Somehow doesn't look good at all (not about visuals), and I liked the first game allot, but the idea with this aim thingy and auto reload and auto focus and these HB over NPC heads so much chaos. Zero reactivity from NPC''s when combat occurs, and if they think releasing multiplat, good luck with it in the next 2 months, to get all the problems right.

2 months? The game is released at 27 of April.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom