Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A single quest, I give up.(DA2 FFS)

roll-a-die

Magister
So I'm just trundling about with 3 apostates in my party(Merril, Myself and Warden Dude). we get a quest to go find a Templar recruit, chase the leads till we catch up to him at a mountain pass fighting with THE KNIGHT COMMANDER of the TEMPLAR MAGE HUNTERS, Apprentice turns into a demon and summons around 20 more Demons, fight them off because Hawke is a bad ass, and I've got an attack of something like 240 at level 8. Now all three of the mages in my poarty were casting spells, throwing fireballs, summoning meteors and storms, etc. So what does the knight commander of the TEMPLAR APOSTATE MAGE HUNTERS, do once the fight is over, why, completely ignore it and go along like nothing happened. I mean fuck Bioware, I paused the game to see if I could even do this with my singular non-mage only because I thought he was going to at least bring it up. But nope, nope, nope, he ist an idiot who doesn't even bat an eye at Apostates casting spells in front of him.

GRAGH, you've made a universe, at least make it consistent. Or is that too difficult for you guys. I chose to play a character of a reviled section of society cruelly ruled over, and you're not going to put the logical restrictions on me. You're not even going to penalize me when I fuck up and do magic in front of say, a very high member of a knigtly order designed to fuck with my kind?

Exmit

Scholar
She has the answer

hitlergirl.jpg

pocahaunted

Arcane
He was so pleased that he turned a blind eye.

Same shit happened to me, except I even spammed blood magic in their face all the time and they never gave me any grief for it. In fact, my own character would bitch and moan about blood magic users. :retarded:

Erebus

Arcane
Seriously, it's not like NPCs in RPGs don't have a rich tradition of turning a blind eye to plenty of things that they should find absolutely immoral.

grotsnik

Arcane
Frankly, I'm more disturbed by the quest where
a serial killer decapitates the player character's mother and stitches her head onto a zombie. At the end of the quest, the zombie with the player character's mother's head, dying, spends a full minute on a monologue about how much she loves the player character. Makes sense to me.

Multi-headed Cow

Hobo Elf said:
Good for what it is.
What? Are you making a snide remark? Are you judging the game based on previous things said and acted upon in the same game? That's not cool. Judge each quest by itself, don't let any of the previous dialog or quests color your vision. :obviously:

attackfighter

Magister
grotsnik said:
a serial killer decapitates the player character's mother and stitches her head onto a zombie. At the end of the quest, the zombie with the player character's mother's head, dying, spends a full minute on a monologue about how much she loves the player character. Makes sense to me.

That sounds hilarious :lol:

I'm amazed how many people can stand the combat long enough to play this far into it.

I find the combat is alright, although I have the difficulty set to easy so I breeze through everything fairly quickly. The bigger problem for me is the camera... like pretty much every other 3D "isometric" game the camera requires a shitload of fiddling, and also for some reason it's glued to your ass so you can't zoom out far enough to target people behind you.

Ferran

Novice
grotsnik said:
Holy Shit! WTF did the Biowhore people smoked to write this!? :retarded:

Ruprekt

Scholar
grotsnik said:

I've changed my mind on DA2.

Game of the year best game evar 10/10

Ruprekt

Scholar
What if the serial killer sewed your mothers head onto a male zombie body?

Could you have gay necrophiliac incest with your own mother?

Or what if her head was sewed onto a horse (for Racofer and Andyman)?

Rhalle

Magister
Freelance Henchman said:
I'm amazed how many people can stand the combat long enough to play this far into it.

I killed the Ogre in the demo and turned it off. Won't buy it, won't even steal it.

Ferran said:
grotsnik said:
Holy Shit! WTF did the Biowhore people smoked to write this!? :retarded:

Actually it reminds me of a villain in the Blade of the Immortal manga.

Sabato Kuroi (黒衣 鯖人 Kuroi Sabato?) Voiced by: Masashi Ebara (Japanese), Artt Butler (English)
Skilled pupil of Anotsu Saburō (Anotsu Kagehisa's grandfather) and master Ittō-ryū swordsman. Along with his skills with a sword, Kuroi has several quirks, which includes poetry referencing Black Sabbath appearing whenever he does. In addition, Kuroi is so obsessed with ageless beauty that he used taxidermy to preserve the heads of his former wife and Rin's mother, and mounted them on his shoulders. Along with his sword skills, Kuroi uses two shuriken referred to as Karasu, or "The Crow." He first appears in Conquest part 1 and is later killed by Manji in Conquest part 3. Kuroi Sabato's is inspired by the band Black Sabbath; Kuroi Sabato roughly translates into Black Sabbath from Japanese. Kuroi is a direct translation to the color black. Sabato when romanized, can be taken as "Sabbath." Black Sabbath is one of Hiroaki Samura's favorite bands

31282.jpg

Ferran

Novice
Clockwork Knight said:
Actually it reminds me of a villain in the Blade of the Immortal manga.]
So, it seems bioware was really inspired by animu. :lol:
Though the japs are better on coming up with disturbing crazy shit.

deuxhero

Arcane
It's because the clash between bright colors, stupidly dressed characters and constantly silly dialoge really makes the "evil ghost borg thing destroyed the world 100 years ago and was only stoped because he fused with a foot high robot" (better than it sounds) all the more shocking an disturbing.

In western game, you don't give a shit about that the boring cardboard badly voiced characters are going to die.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
roll-a-die said:
So I'm just trundling about with 3 apostates in my party(Merril, Myself and Warden Dude). we get a quest to go find a Templar recruit, chase the leads till we catch up to him at a mountain pass fighting with THE KNIGHT COMMANDER of the TEMPLAR MAGE HUNTERS, Apprentice turns into a demon and summons around 20 more Demons, fight them off because Hawke is a bad ass, and I've got an attack of something like 240 at level 8. Now all three of the mages in my poarty were casting spells, throwing fireballs, summoning meteors and storms, etc. So what does the knight commander of the TEMPLAR APOSTATE MAGE HUNTERS, do once the fight is over, why, completely ignore it and go along like nothing happened. I mean fuck Bioware, I paused the game to see if I could even do this with my singular non-mage only because I thought he was going to at least bring it up. But nope, nope, nope, he ist an idiot who doesn't even bat an eye at Apostates casting spells in front of him.

GRAGH, you've made a universe, at least make it consistent. Or is that too difficult for you guys. I chose to play a character of a reviled section of society cruelly ruled over, and you're not going to put the logical restrictions on me. You're not even going to penalize me when I fuck up and do magic in front of say, a very high member of a knigtly order designed to fuck with my kind?

Why are you judging a game based on what you wanted it to be and not based on what it is?

flushfire

Augur
Multi-headed Cow said:
Hobo Elf said:
Good for what it is.
What? Are you making a snide remark? Are you judging the game based on previous things said and acted upon in the same game? That's not cool. Judge each quest by itself, don't let any of the previous dialog or quests color your vision. :obviously:
:salute: :lol:

Antihero

Liturgist
roll-a-die said:
Apostate type stuff.
I'm not even sure what was going on there, but colour me not surprised. If you could spec Wynne into a blood mage in DA:O without a protest, why, the sky's the limit in Thedas.

For the record, blood mages and that thaumaturgic blood boil spell are just great. Too bad the AI seemed all but too happy to let your blood mages kill themselves by expending their last HP on blood magic, setting tactics be damned.

P.S.,

This hunt for a Templar companion had better not be like trying to assemble the A-Team in ME2.
:x

Jim Cojones

Prophet
BTW I'd love to play a game in which magic would be forbidden, e.g. a game based on what people in medieval believed about witchcraft and sorcery. Playing a magician in such game would mean you need to be extremely cautious about your actions. Restrict to some subtle magic tricks instead of throwing fireballs around if you know you could be seen, work in your secret lab, have to find another wizards to be able to exchange knowledge, but books or magic ingredients (game could semi-randomly choose which NPC's practising sorcery and which are ready to report to Inquisition if they find about your doings).

There's a space for plenty interesting scenarios involving avoiding getting attention of Inquisition, framing innocent people for your crimes or making tough decisions if there's an investigation being conducted in your town/village. In the last case, do you decide to stay and do everything you can not to be compromised? Do you try to run away using secret passage? If so, what equipment do you decide to take with you? You can't take everything, obviously.

On topic: BG2 had some consequences for casting spells without having a magic license and DA2, in which magic being dangerous and forbidden is kinda a big deal, has none? That's a huge :decline:, not that this surprises me.

roll-a-die

Magister
Hamster said:
roll-a-die said:

Why are you judging a game based on what you wanted it to be and not based on what it is?
Because in universe that's what its explained as, all mages within Kirkwall are confined for the safety of the residents and easy slaughter when the Templars get frisky. In universe mages are seen with an utterly xenophobic eye, because they are essentially that universes "antichrist." You using magic in front of a Knight Commander of the Templars, is akin to calling Hitler a Jew, TO HIS FACE. It's not supposed to end well, and them basically handwaving it by giving him utterly no response, and then even him comment during the dialogue on how "Must be a mages work." When he standing next to what are apparently 3 powerful apostate mages, 2 of which are using Blood Magic. It just rings inconsistent. Especially after a big fuss is made about how you are supposed to be AVOIDING Templars, because you DON'T want to be sent to the Gallows(This is what they call the area with the mages).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom