Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

About Riddick: escape from Butcher Bay

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
So, I've heard that the game is amazing...any Codexian thoughts?

(screw the search please.)

'Tis great aye, most realistic movement in an FPS I've seen so far, superb atmosphere, you truly are a one man (thus alone) badass (gives you some confidence) taking on a facility of basatards who are totally against you. Graphics are beautiful and gameplay is smooth. The only problem is that from the beginning it slowly declines further and further, play it even if only for the prison section.

Pablosdog

Prophet
Escape from butcher bay is much better than the dark athena portion of the game.

Quilty

Magister
Never tried Athena, but the first one was amazing. The stealthy bits were brilliant, the shooty bits not as much. It's still one of my favourite FPS experiences.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Escape from Butcher's Bay is a fine shooter. An exception from the rule when it comes to console shooters - it did feel like a PC game all right - besides being very short (you can beat it in just two evenings) and having a consolish dungeon with infinite respawns.

But definitely worth a walkthrough.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yahtzee is actually right when he accuses it of being scizophrenic. The plus is that besides pretty simple gameplay it never ceases to put a challenge - the game is pretty hard. The downside is that once you get used to one aspect of the game and start having tons of fun, the game will take that away and say: "Now go do this instead!"

And of course, the console-port shit gets pretty fucking annoying, and Riddick as a character in the game is writing on par with Gaiderish "I is mature n' shit" and makes you want to throw up. Not quite as bad as Chronicles, but almost.

A user named cat

Butcher Bay was an awesome game, and I for one loved the Riddick character. Great 80's throwback anti-hero. He should just stick with video games period. Anyone read this news regarding his game company and what they're working on?

From Tigon Studios:

Melkor

A game that appears to be based on one of Vin Diesel's Dungeons & Dragons characters, Melkor. Melkor is a fantasy "epic" that has been scheduled to be a series of games. According to the website, Melkor's game-style is influenced by "Dungeons & Dragons, Conan and Lord of the Rings".

Phantasmal said:
A game that appears to be based on one of Vin Diesel's Dungeons & Dragons characters, Melkor. Melkor is a fantasy "epic" that has been scheduled to be a series of games. According to the website, Melkor's game-style is influenced by "Dungeons & Dragons, Conan and Lord of the Rings".
Nice, the guy is a self-confessed DnD nerd and when he's directing and writing he knows the score.

A user named cat

I like Vin too and always thought he had potential to do more but just really hasn't, so he might as well just stick with his gaming company. He did branch out with Find Me Guilty, other than that though nothing really.

26633678.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
A lot better than that shit-fucking Batman Whateverthefuck Asylum.

Problem is, as stated in the thread linked above, it has absolutely no fucking replay value. Not that I ever replay games that aren't Baldur's Gate II, but still I guess people value that shit.

DemonKing

Arcane
I played it when it was first released and it was a slightly above average shooter with a decent protagonist.

You have to suspend your disbelief though as Riddick is continuously breaking out of jail, killing a zillion guards, being recaptured, and then simply being stuck in a slightly harder to escape jail.

Surely someone, somewhere along the line would have just put a bullet in the back of his head... :roll:

Truman

Scholar
I played the xbox version when it came out, and the newly released pc version with the expansion. Movement and shooting mechanics feel MUCH smoother on the xbox.

Thrasher

Erudite
I'm playing Assasin's Creed now, and its so called stealth reallly sucks when compared to Riddick.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I played the remake, the one with Dark Athena as well, but it felt so goddamn slow and clunky and - and I hate to use this word but it applies here - consolised that I stopped after a couple of hours. Should I play the original?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Riddick is a very good sneaker/shooter, I really liked this game.
As for Assassin's creed, it has as much stealth as Prince of Persia. Acrobatic gimmicks isn't stealth.

Thrasher

Erudite
Yeah, well there is this thing called blend, which is a form of stealth, but it is really just super low profile. It doesn't work if the guards are on high alert... Anyway I just thought an assassin would have SOME sneak skills rather than this bogus blend skill.../ rant off

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
If you buy Dark Athena you get Butcher Bay probably around like 50 bucks now to. Good Deal imo for a pretty good game.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Better console shooter, pardon, RPG than ME2. You can even talk to other prisoners and perform extreme collar grabbing. Also there are simple "fetch this" or "kill that guy" quests. No interspecies buttseks, though. :cry:

OK, to be serious this game is highly recommended - rare successful blend of stealth and shooting.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!COLLAR GRABBING!

I am on the Codex and I am a man.

I bought Dark Athena for about $10 off Steam (OMG STEAM!!?!? -- fuck off Codex). Haven't had a chance to play it at length yet, but the hour or so I put in was rather enjoyable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom