Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Absolutely idiotic Gothic 3 review

suibhne

Erudite
WittyName said:
It's amazing that two of three cons he lists are actually worse in Oblivion than in Gothic.

That's what got me. Tho not exactly masterful, his writing wasn't as terrible as many of the sophomoric reviews derided in these here Codix parts - but the content was so laced with basic misunderstandings of Gothic 3 and Oblivion that I really didn't know where to go with it.

At default, Oblivion's draw-in is much more of a problem than G3's depth-of-field (at least based on the demo - my real copy's in the mail :wink: ). And if he's judging Oblivion based on adjusted settings, why the hell couldn't he have done that with G3? Anyway, suggesting that Oblivion feels like a virtual world where things happen on their own rather than in response to the player's triggers...I just don't know how to answer that, it's so mind-bogglingly stupid. I mean, you can run to Kvatch at level 1, see the gate, then run away for 20 levels and do other stuff and return to find that NOT A SINGLE GODDAMN THING HAS CHANGED IN MONTHS - no guards have died, no further Daedra have emerged, and everyone's just sitting there with their thumbs up their noses.

Then again, I guess the guards could be mindlessly killing each other like the Imperial Woodsmen...

elander_

Arbiter
I think theres more than one explanation for that obvious atempt at retarding Gothic 3.

1. Europe cultural thing. British hate German people guts and everything they do. The German don't realy give a fuck about the Brits which hangers them even more.

2. A relatively unknown site with nothing to loose trying to get some atention (unfortunatly by being retards).

3. Gothic 3 wasn't made for the consoles and the XBox.

4. Reviewers are starting to get more hostile towards unfinished games, which lets be fair, its what Gothic 3 realy is.

Oblivion is also an unfinished game. Iif you find an old picture showing the world map from the E3 demo or something theres an extra town northwest of Cyrodill but Oblivion can fake being a finished game because it had a very good production (kathode has its merits) and it didn't required a significant patching, was not very hard or very easy and no quests had bugs that prevented the player to complete them. In fact Oblivion has a compass and quest tutorials on the player journal which the mainstream reviewers just love.

Elias_Maluco

Novice
Ok, my first post here, but Im been reading the foruns for a while. For me Volourn has a point: Ive been following VD commentaries on Gothic 3 reviews and although most of those reviews are indeed stupid, he gets way too defensive whenever someone points a a flaw or a problem with this game.

Im playing G3 now and although it is a good game, Im cant help to feel disapointed, since G2, that I played just 2 months ago, is cleary superior in almost everything (everything except the graphics and the interface).

I hate the new combat system: pure mindless button mashing. G2 combat was no Mount & Blade, but was fun and challenging. And even by the end of the game, at level 37, I could never just button mash my way trough dozens of orcs and get away with it. Now I can, is just too easy. Except for beasts of course: I can slaughter 15 orcs all alone just by slamming the right mouse button and killing then all one-by-one while the others wait pacientlly for their turn to get wacked; but if 2 wolves decide to atack me, I better run becouse I will be down in no time).

I hate how movement is slow and clunsy (comparing to G2). Dialogs and quests are also much less interesting, at least so far (maybe it gets better later). Ai is also terrible, terrible, terrible. In G2 it was decent, not brilliant, but decent. Now its just ridiculous.

Also, while the game is indeed beautiful, it does not justifies the horrible performance in decent PCs. Tweaking a bit, Ive managed to get it to be pretty playable on my computer (which is quite a decent one), but I still keep having those annoying little freezes every now and then when walknig around the map (is probably the game loading). The loading times are also outrageous, but I can accept that (when I first played Fallout 2, my computer was pretty weak and loading could take around 2 minutes, but that dint screwed the game for me).

Also, you mocked the reviewr for feeling surprised by not being attacked by orcs, but I just felt the same thing. I just walked into a patrol of orcs (one of the quests of Reddock), expecting to be attacked, or at least aproached, stoped, anything. But they just acted like any friendly npc and ignored me. That doest not make much sense to me: why are they patroling for, after all, if a heavilly armed human can walk across their post without being bothered? There is a rebelion going on and a they let suspicius armed guys roam freely around the country? Thats bullshit. Is like a if an arab bearing an ak-47 on his back would just walk into an american patrol on Iraq and the soldiers just ignores him and only do something when the guy starts shooting at then.

G3 is a good game, but is cleary inferior to G2 (never played G1 to know) and how everyone knows, it was rushed and it is unfinished. The last patches improved the situation a but, but it is have tons of flaws and bugs. They improved the graphics and the interface (vey good in almost all aspects), but let everything else go worst: plot, writing, combat, overall gameplay, performance, AI, everything. Just like most game developers are doing these days, why be so tolerant with PB?

There is no reason to to act has if the game is a masterpiece and bash anyone who disagree with that. VD and most of you just keep ignoring the obvious and huge problems this game has and keep repeating that everyone who does not think G3 is the cat´s pijamas is a dumb oblivion player or hates "true rpgs" and blah, blah, blah. The game is just not that good, and is very sad to think that it is probably the last Gothic game.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Your all a bunch of faggots.

Don't worry Volourn, VD won't ban you because he knows the backlash he would get. I stand by your side FOREVAR volly.

VAULT DWELLER REPLY

"QUOTE POOPERSCOOPER:

Don't worry Volourn, VD won't ban you because he knows the backlash he would get. I stand by your side FOREVAR volly."

I don't give a shit about any backlash I would get because I'm the ruff and tuff steward of the codex.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Elias_Maluco said:
Ok, my first post here, but Im been reading the foruns for a while. For me Volourn has a point: Ive been following VD commentaries on Gothic 3 reviews and although most of those reviews are indeed stupid, he gets way too defensive whenever someone points a a flaw or a problem with this game.
Links? Quotes? Proofs? In other words, please be kind enough to show when I "got too defensive" when someone had a legitimate complaint about the game.

I hate the new combat system: pure mindless button mashing.
Not really. Maybe that's why you suck at it and can't kill two wolves. Try button mashing when your enemies lunge at you (a slow impaling attack, easy to avoid, but quite deadly if you ignore the signs of it coming and keep on mashing), and you are dead.

Now I can, is just too easy (except for beats of course: I can slaughter 15 orcs, but if 2 wolves decide to atack me, I better run becouse I will be down in no time) .
I'm level 27 and I can kill wolves and anything else (snappers, lurkers, lizards, etc) in packs.

That doest not make much sense to me: why are they patroling for, after all, if a heavylly armed human can walk across their post without being botherer?
Now you are just being silly.

Is like a if an arab bearing an ak-47 on his back would just walk into an american patrol on Iraq and the soldiers just ignores him and only do something when the guy starts shooting at then.
Now you are being stupid.

Mainlly, PB improved the graphics and the interface (vey good in almost all aspects), but let everything else go worst: plot, writing, combat, overall gameplay, performance, AI, everything.
In your opinion. Gothic 1 & 2 were adventure games with RPG elements; once THE choice was made the game will railroad you straight to the end, expecting you to destroy a fucking orcish army all by yourself when a paladin army inside the fortress is powerless to do anything. Gothic 3 is a different game, and I like it more. However, I can see why fans of the series will prefer the former approach. It doesn't mean that G3 is a bad game though.

Just like most game developers are doing these days, why be so tolerant with PB?
Because there is a huge difference between G3 and Oblivion, see my review for details.

VD and most of you just keeps ignoring the obvious and huge problems this game has ...
I've noted the biggest problems in my review.

...and keep repeating that everyone who does not think its the cat´s pijamas is a dumb oblivion player or hates "true rpgs" and blah, blah, blah.
Prove it with links and quotes or stop posting nonsense.

The game is just not that good, and is very sad to think that it is probably the last Gothic game.
Why? Because you and your whiny friends didn't like it?

Vault Dweller

Developer
POOPERSCOOPER said:
Don't worry Volourn, VD won't ban you because he knows the backlash he would get. I stand by your side FOREVAR volly.
You are a true patriot, Pooper!
:salute:

Jinxed

Liturgist
G3 gets props because it's not a shitty game like most CRPGs out these days.

But I agree that the combat is terrible. The previous one was clunky and hard to learn, which created the impression that you had to rely on your keyboard skills rather than stats, BUT, this system proves that it was more fun that way in the long run.
I don't think the quests are any better than G2, but they aren't worse either. Gothic games are action based, so I never expected any real depth in that department. Quest wise compare G3 to Bloodlines and they are completely different games, although both action CRPGs.

I'm also getting tired of "poor performance". Name a graphics rich game that's really well optimized these days. If you want that, go get a fucking console and stop whining already.

Elias_Maluco

Novice
Wow, that was a very hostile anwser to a very polite comment. Anyway:

Links? Quotes? Proofs? In other words, please be kind enough to show when I "got too defensive" when someone had a legitimate complaint about the game.

I could, but I dont have that much free time. Anyway, this entire post is very defensive and proves my point.

Not really. Maybe that's why you suck at it and can't kill two wolves. Try button mashing when your enemies lunge at you (a slow impaling attack, easy to avoid, but quite deadly if you ignore the signs of it coming and keep on mashing), and you are dead

Ok, maybe I suck, but then, why can I kill so many orcs and bandits so easilly, just clicking the right mouse button like crazy? The fact that 2 wolves are harder to kill then an entire patrol of orc soldiers is just a good sign of how unbalanced combat is.

I'm level 27 and I can kill wolves and anything else (snappers, lurkers, lizards, etc) in packs.

So what? You are missing the point, read above.

Now you are just being silly
Now you are being stupid.

Care to explain why? For me, the game is being silly: a "patrol" should be looking for rebels, some guy wearing armor and WEAPONS past by and they just dont care. What are they patroling for? Deers? Hey, you wanted a quote of how defensive you get when someone criticizes the game, right? Well, you just gave a perfect example.

once THE choice was made the game will railroad you straight to the end, expecting you to destroy a fucking orcish army all by yourself when a paladin army inside the fortress is powerless to do anything

Err, no. if you talking about Gothic 2 (I never played the first), you were never expected to kill the orcish army. You could do it, if you want, but it wanst required, it wanst part of the plot.

However, I can see why fans of the series will prefer the former approach. It doesn't mean that G3 is a bad game though.

I disagree, but then I havent finished Gothic 3 yet, so I might get more found of it later. Anyway, I respect your opinion.

Because there is a huge difference between G3 and Oblivion, see my review for details.

I never played Oblivion, so I dont care.

I dint read it. Maybe I will do it later.

Oh, please. Just read your own forum.

Why? Because you and your whiny friends didn't like it?

I think I already gave my reasons. And actually, I do like it, I just think Gothic 2 was a much better game (and my "whiny friends" never played it, so dont drag then into this). Again: stop being so defensive about it, you are giving people reasons to call you a fanboy.

Solaris

Scholar
I wasn't impressed with Gothic 3 initially, mostly because of the bugs and it always crashing on my system etc. I gave up on it but have recently started again with the latest patch. Now it has a fair few things fixed its pretty decent and I'm enjoying it. I feel I should defend it now, rather than trash it, lol....hence, that reviewer is a cocksucker and hasn't got a clue :)

But really, the standard of reviewing these days has gone to hell. Even If I still had issues with the game that review is fucking ridiculous....game journalism has never been at such an all-time low :?

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I haven’t played Gothic 3 yet, but I can only say that click fest combat would be an improvement over the crap combat Gothic 1 and 2 provided. And I also believe this site should only cover rpgs, which the ultra twitch combat of the Gothics nullifies the games as being rpgs. Or at least put a statement into the review that it isn’t an actual rpg, like a review of a strategy game here would get.

I think Gothic gets a free pass for things it should get slammed for. Oblivion got slammed by this community for having stupid side games, like the talking to people thing or the lock picking. I don’t remember in G1, but the lockpicking in G2 was retarded beyond belief. Was I picking a lock or entering a cheat code for Contra? Who knows? Not me. All I know is that it was retarded.

I think Gothic should be praised for the way it implemented the towns and interaction with npcs and factions, and how the quests weren’t the usual crap most “rpgs” dish out, but there are some huge flaws that require a harsh critique of the games.

No character creation? What the fuck? I’m forced to play a pre-made character, with a preset attitude, with really limited choices in game-play beyond who to side with? That equals bullshit.

Craptastic character development implemented retardedly? Dungeon Siege had better character development. Yes, skill point allocation mattered, but not as much as player skill. I would get my ass kicked by a lvl 1 no matter what lvl I was that had any sort of coordination.

Etc.

If I were to review Gothic 1 and 2 as action games I would give them an 8.5 or 9 out of 10. As far as rpgs go I give them a 2 out of 10.

I’m not even wasting my time with the G3 demo, even though it seems like the killer of G1 and G2 for me was fixed (being the impossible combat).

Now, I respect what Gothic did. If you are going to make an action game for the Twitch community, you might as well make combat challenging and engaging to that community, which G1 and 2 did. But I have always been and will always be an rpg fan, and that sort of combat is the antithesis of rpgs, along with preset characters, and no roleplaying options that support the character you created.

I love Bloodlines, but if I were to rate it as an rpg I would only give it a 4 or 5 out of 10. As an action game, due to mostly ridiculously easy and poor combat, I would give it a 5 or 6 out of 10 (also because it had too many rpg elements to be a great action game).

I somewhat agree with Volourn that VD takes a stand and you are with him or against him. But I do the same thing, as does everyone. If someone doesn’t like the RoA series I think they are retarded. If anyone wrote a negative review about it and I had the ability to pick it apart, I would. I’m defensive of the games I like, and vocal about the games I don’t. We’re all fanboys really. I think threatening a ban for someone being stupid is a little silly, personally.

Seeing as this site is an rpg site and reviewed Gothic 3 as just another game, and not in a purely rpg context, VD’s review of the game is invalid in my opinion. If it was stated in the beginning of the review that the game was not going to be review with an rpg context as a narrative I would be fine with it, but there was no such statement.

Let me give an example, if there was a site for comedy movies, and that site decided to review a drama that had some comedic elements, I would expect the review to focus and use a comedy narrative throughout the review, or else the review is invalid as a comedy review and is just a regular movie review.

Independent of everyone’s opinion of what a good rpg is, there is a set criterion for a game to be an rpg, and all reviews of an rpg by an rpg site should focus on what an rpg is and if the game excelled at those qualities. If the game is a hybrid game, such as Gothic, the review should not leave out or not criticize what rpg necessities were left out, even if left out on purpose or implemented a hybrid system on purpose. Did Oblivion get a pass on there talking mini-game or lockpicking mini-game? Did Kotor with its silly shoot the soldiers coming towards the ship or space fighter mini-games? A game is an rpg or it isn’t. An rpg review is an rpg review or it isn’t.

What would Doom score in an rpg review? 0. Would that matter? No. Because it isn’t an rpg. What would ToEE get if reviewed with an FPS narrative? 0. Would it matter? No. Because it isn’t an FPS.

Does the mainstream consider Gothic an rpg? Yes. And the mainstream is stupid. Years ago the mainstream believed dinosaurs and humans lived together at one point, and that didn’t make it true. Before the Iron Curtain fell, the people in Albania believed they were the most well off people in the world (because the government told them so), and they believed it. But it wasn’t true. I could point out 8 bazillion things that the mainstream consider, or considered, true that never were true. And when it comes to rpgs the mainstream is as stupid as ever.

But I don’t see how Volourn could blame VD when almost every review written nowadays is just chock ful’o stupid. These people are spoon-feeding VD ammo, whatever side of the fence VD is standing. Reviewers are just retarded at this point in history. And not just for video games. Look at most of the reviews of Nacho Libre. Stupid people are in power who write stupid shit that is supported by stupid people and non-retards have a duty to call them on it. If you don’t, you are just adding to the stupidity of the world.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Elias_Maluco said:
I could, but I dont have that much free time.
You seemed to have enough time to post long posts and make numerious accusations, but clearly not enough time to back them up.

Anyway, this entire post is very defensive and proves my point.
Obviously.

The fact that 2 wolves are harder to kill then an entire patrol of orc soldiers is just a good sign of how unbalanced combat is.
A fact noted in my review. Am I being defensive again?

So what? You are missing the point, read above.
You claimed that wolves are almost impossible to kill. I replied. Short attention span?

Care to explain why? For me, the game is being silly: a "patrol" should be looking for rebels, some guy wearing armor and WEAPONS past by and they just dont care. What are they patroling for? Deers? Hey, you wanted a quote of how defensive you get when someone criticizes the game, right? Well, you just gave a perfect example.
*sigh* Stop screaming "defensive" every 5 min. Your point was silly and your arab example was stupid, because it's a game and you can't expect real-life realism from it. Friendly NPCs react to drawn weapons, like they always did in Gothic games. Expecting anything else like why won't they arrest me, beat me up, and torture me to tell them where the rebels are is plain fucking silly. You talk about realism, yet the fact that you can destroy an army when another army can NOT doesn't seem to bother you at all.

Err, no. if you talking about Gothic 2 (I never played the first), you were never expected to kill the orcish army. You could do it, if you want, but it wanst required, it wanst part of the plot.
I said expected, not must.

I disagree, but then I havent finished Gothic 3 yet, so I might get more found of it later. Anyway, I respect your opinion.
[Borat] Great success![/] Let's leave it at that then.

Then what the fuck are you doing criticizing my position if you don't know what my position is?

Oh, please. Just read your own forum.
You are making a very disappointing first impression.

sabishii

Arbiter
Well...

Lol at the graphics paragraph.

I agree with the combat paragraph... sort of. I didn't really find it clunky or non-responsive. Just have to get used to the timing if that's the problem. But there was a lack of variety in it, and that made it poor for me.

I agree with the quest paragraph as well, though it's annoying to read.

NPCs paragraph... I have to disagree. Hostile enemies spot me from a reasonable distance away. Perhaps he walked up to some non-hostile orcs with his weapon out.. thus they aggroed him at a much closer radius. I dunno, but NPC aggro wasn't a problem with my game.

Saying Oblivion has a living, breathing world? Lol.

VD and most of you just keep ignoring the obvious and huge problems this game

Rofl.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Roqua said:
No character creation? What the fuck? I’m forced to play a pre-made character, with a preset attitude, with really limited choices in game-play beyond who to side with? That equals bullshit.
What about Torment?

Seeing as this site is an rpg site and reviewed Gothic 3 as just another game, and not in a purely rpg context, VD’s review of the game is invalid in my opinion. If it was stated in the beginning of the review that the game was not going to be review with an rpg context as a narrative I would be fine with it, but there was no such statement.
From the review: "Needless to say, this and other conflicts create a great role-playing situation where you are given motivations to join different sides and play the game in different ways, which is what I believe role-playing is all about. "

In other words, I disagree with you.

Did Oblivion get a pass on there talking mini-game or lockpicking mini-game? Did Kotor with its silly shoot the soldiers coming towards the ship or space fighter mini-games?
There are no mini-games in G3. Lockpicking is skill-based now.

sabishii

Arbiter
Also, you mocked the reviewr for feeling surprised by not being attacked by orcs, but I just felt the same thing. I just walked into a patrol of orcs (one of the quests of Reddock), expecting to be attacked, or at least aproached, stoped, anything. But they just acted like any friendly npc and ignored me. That doest not make much sense to me: why are they patroling for, after all, if a heavilly armed human can walk across their post without being bothered? There is a rebelion going on and a they let suspicius armed guys roam freely around the country? Thats bullshit. Is like a if an arab bearing an ak-47 on his back would just walk into an american patrol on Iraq and the soldiers just ignores him and only do something when the guy starts shooting at then.
The orcs don't freaking attack every human they see. In case you didn't notice, there are "heavily armed" human mercenaries walking around freely. The orcs are trying to coexist with the humans; much good they would do if they started killing off their own paid mercenaries. So the patrols aren't looking for random humans; they're looking for a specific rebel camp. Why would they care if some friendly human just walks in with his weapon sheathed? But notice what happens once you unsheathe your sword. They get angry; wow, how unrealistic.

KreideBein

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
Roqua said:
What about Torment?

Torment was a bit different. First of all, you could choose what your begining stats were, which you can't do in G3. Second, TNO is basically a blank slate when you take control. Yes, he has a past established by the game, but the personality of the particular iteration that is controlled by the player doesn't have any preconcieved notions. (I'm open to correction on that last part, since I'm not actually sure if the main character in G3 has an already-established personality. I didn't get very far into the demo before it crashed horribly on me, so I'm pretty much going by what Roqua said.)

sabishii

Arbiter
KreideBein said:
Vault Dweller said:
Roqua said:
What about Torment?

Torment was a bit different. First of all, you could choose what your begining stats were, which you can't do in G3. Second, TNO is basically a blank slate when you take control. Yes, he has a past established by the game, but the personality of the particular iteration that is controlled by the player doesn't have any preconcieved notions. (I'm open to correction on that last part, since I'm not actually sure if the main character in G3 has an already-established personality. I didn't get very far into the demo before it crashed horribly on me, so I'm pretty much going by what Roqua said.)
You can choose your stats in Gothic 3. Yes, you start out with predefined stats, but just consider them a "blank slate" (as you consider TNO's personality) which you can freely add points to as you will. Second, G3's character is just as much of a "blank slate" in terms of personality. Yes, there are some bouts where you see some "attitude" but that's just some flavor in select few conversations, whereas in general you're not imposed upon any specific personality that limits your choices in normal conversations.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Volourn said:
The Codex didn't want that Volourn so they got suck with this Volourn.
I like this Volourn better. :)

r00fles!

@VD - You can't ban Volourn! The Codex wouldn't be the same. How could we go on without hearing 'Moron...r00fles!'?

Data4

Arcane
OccupatedVoid said:
Volourn said:
The Codex didn't want that Volourn so they got suck with this Volourn.
I like this Volourn better. :)

r00fles!

@VD - You can't ban Volourn! The Codex wouldn't be the same. How could we go on without hearing 'Moron...r00fles!'?

Quite well, I believe. Sure, some of you may get a kick out of laughing at him to yourselves, but I find the guy absolutely useless. Unless he gives in and finally blows his own brains out or chugs down a bottle of Tylenol PM, a ban would be an acceptable alternative.

-D4

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I think your review of G3 was a great review, it almost, almost made me buy it.

I can't knock your review as it was a great, comprehesive review. A review that other reviewers should try to emulate if possible. But, a non-rpg would of got a number score of 80-85 (if I recall that was said at the end?) from an rpg site? Come on? This was a great review, but the narrative wasn't crpgs.

PS:T=Same critisism. But PS:T had far less options for the character to make. The only big decision was mage, thief, or fighter. The rest was superficial. PS:T excelled at story telling and fanbtastic dialogue. Book quality. Far superior to most games. And it brought party interaction to a new level. I would say only Bterayal at Krondor compares storywise. And Betrayal at Krondor was a great game, but no rpg. I would say PS:T is an rpg, just a week one. I would give it a 5 or 6 out of 10, due to very, very limited character creation, preset character, somehwat preset attitude, lack of choices, etc. But the real killer was the god awful IE combat that was far too easy and repetetive. Rated as a game (minus the combat, which has to lower the score of any review of it) and not a crpg, I would give it a 10 (again, not considering the combat). Once I consider the combat in the review, the score will fall back down to a 5 or 6, no matter the narrative.

The RoA series is hands down my favorite crpg series, and I would only give them an 8 out of 10, because there are some blatant areas that need to be criticized. I would give Darklands a 7 or 8, and FO 1 and 2 a 7 or 8, for agian, some much needed critism. But thats neither here nor there. I've never reviewed anything and this isn't about what I would review anything. My sole point is that it is impossible for G3 to score an 80 or 85% when reviewed with an rpg narative, even if, as almost every comment I've seen on your review, your review was the fairest and most comprehensive of the game.

From the review: "Needless to say, this and other conflicts create a great role-playing situation where you are given motivations to join different sides and play the game in different ways, which is what I believe role-playing is all about. "

In other words, I disagree with you.

I believe role-playing is about roleplaying. You can role play in oblivion. My wife can role play a french maid. I can role-play a teradactyl. But a roleplaying game is a seperate thing independant of beliefs. A lot of people belive the world was made in 7 days 4 or 5 thousand years ago, doesn't make it true. A lot of people think a tomatoe is a vegitable. Agian, this is where belief and actuality collide in a brilliant cascade of belief not mattering.

The reviewer this thread is about believes Orcs should attack him from afar. A lot of reviewers believe Oblivion is the grandmaster rpg. A lot of people even believe Zelda is an rpg. Some people believe the holocaust never happened. Some people believe adding ROOFLES at the end of posts is funny and endearing. A lot of people believe a lot things, and a lot of people ingore fact that contradict with their beliefs.

In other words, I can't disgree with your belief as that would imply there is a debate. And what happens when beliefs and actuality collide?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"In other words, please be kind enough to show when I "got too defensive" when someone had a legitimate complaint about the game."

The problem my 'good buddy' (R00fles!) VD is that according to you there pretty much no legitimate complaint about the game unless it's one of your view dislikes. In fact, you white wash the stuff you don't like about G3. You yourself state that the game is 80% combat and basically say that's a-ok. But, you completely trash other games when you (mis) calculate them as 80% combat (KOTOR has many weaknesses ala too much combat); but it doesn't take up 80% of the game most likely.

Anyways, I'm about to play the demo so I cna post about it then you can call me dumb lololol for any criticism aboyt it. I could post 'the game has too much combat (at 80% accoridng to YOU) and you'd likely claim that was a dumb complaint at this stage.

Your threats of bannage are just hilarious. Either do it or don't. I've been banned elsewhere. Soemhow I managed to survive just fine.

p.s. Those arguing over whether not the Codex would be better off with me or not? Does it relaly matter? I'm one random poster. The Codex will survive. I will survive. It's one forum.

If VD needs to show his manhood by banning someone for calling him a fanboy than so be it. Then again, I thought SP's old quote of mine in his sig summed up the Codex. Maybe not.

ps2 'Good buddies' don't ban their 'good buddies' nor do they threaten them with it. So, stop spreaidng lies about us being 'good buddies'.

L0L0L0L0LLIPOP

Off to play Gothic 3... Yayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!! :twisted:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
sabishii said:
The orcs don't freaking attack every human they see. In case you didn't notice, there are "heavily armed" human mercenaries walking around freely. The orcs are trying to coexist with the humans.

Not really, they killed most of the nobility and enslaved the peasants, from what i've played of the game the only reason they're hiring mercs is because they're outnumbered and deep in a foreign land.

sabishii

Arbiter
fizzelopeguss said:
sabishii said:
The orcs don't freaking attack every human they see. In case you didn't notice, there are "heavily armed" human mercenaries walking around freely. The orcs are trying to coexist with the humans.

Not really, they killed most of the nobility and enslaved the peasants, from what i've played of the game the only reason they're hiring mercs is because they're outnumbered and deep in a foreign land.
They want to rule over the humans, not kill them all.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
sabishii said:
fizzelopeguss said:
sabishii said:

The slaves are alive because they're needed to dig for artefacts, i'm thinking these orcs are like the mongols, they'll work you to death, and when the land is depopulated they'll bring their families over to freshly purged pastures.

I've not played the game in a while though, that's just what i've observed in a handfull of towns. (nwn2 instead)

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Since when does being a complete moron and an asshat constitute a ban on the codex? I mean, christ, kingcomrade's still around for fuck's sake. You gotta draw the line somewhere pal.

sabishii

Arbiter
fizzelopeguss said:
sabishii said:
fizzelopeguss said:
sabishii said:

The slaves are alive because they're needed to dig for artefacts, i'm thinking these orcs are like the mongols, they'll work you to death, and when the land is depopulated they'll bring their families over to freshly purged pastures.

I've not played the game in a while though, that's just what i've observed in a handfull of towns. (nwn2 instead)
Well I finished the game and that's the impression I got. If you don't kill the rebels or the orcs they end up coexisting peacefully. But I guess the only way to find out for sure is to see the orc ending, but I never did that... Anyone care to spoil it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom