Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Adventure games with a lot of books, notes, etc., to read

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Okay so I dunno how to explain this best, but can anyone recommend me some adventure games with a lot of in-game notes, books, letters, etc., to read? Preferably something first-person in the vein of Myst with a mystery plot - but any other kinds of adventure games (including interactive fiction) will do, too. Obviously, the more well-written the game is, the better (and the more obscure the better, too).

Any recommendations?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I must've phrased it poorly. I mean notes, etc., that you can read, not that you keep yourself.

And I've already played Blade Runner.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Have you tried Byzantine: The Betrayal? Fascinating game, has a kind of derpy ending, but the rest of it it's very interesting and reminds me a lot of Last Express. And the live-action is quite good.

There's also Egypt: 1156 B.C and Versailles 1685, both mystery games in 3D historical worlds. I never finished Versailles (got stuck, pre internet-era), but Egypt left a good impression.

All of this games rely on tons of notes your character takes and in-game info that's displayed to you, especially historical info that sometimes are used in puzzles, and they are quite unforgiving, with some annoying death events that took me days to overcome...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Dracula 3: The Path of the Dragon - my mind is a bit hazy on this, but if I recall correctly there is a fair amount of reading and note taking in this one. I really liked this.

Alex

Arcane
Maybe not what you are looking for. It definitely isn't first person, and the notes are there because they are a big part of the puzzles, not just for color. But I really loved Interplay's Neuromancer.

LizardKing

Scholar
Hmm.. If FMV doesn't scare you off, I would say Gabriel Knight 2.
It's very well written and there's books/letters to read.
Acting is hilariously bad at times and some of the characters are very eccentric individuals.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Okay so I dunno how to explain this best, but can anyone recommend me some adventure games with a lot of in-game notes, books, letters, etc., to read? Preferably something first-person in the vein of Myst with a mystery plot - but any other kinds of adventure games (including interactive fiction) will do, too. Obviously, the more well-written the game is, the better (and the more obscure the better, too).

Any recommendations?
Two later Sierra games come to mind: Lighthouse and Rama. They're both basically Myst-clones, I think they fall under the basic style you're looking for. Particularly Lighthouse has a lot of written narrative that you discover along the way without a lot of interaction with characters. It's also ball-stompingly difficult, as is Rama towards the end.

Another one in a similar vein is Timelapse. It's basically Myst, but with travelling through time to different eras of history rather than to different worlds.

The Journeyman Project games might also be of interest, though some of those are a bit hard to get running on modern machines, excepting Pegasus Prime which now should work in ScummVM.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Try both Schizm games, although I highly recommend you to prepare a notebook on the side because they have arguably some of the most contrived puzzles ever put into video games. Also, check out Sentinel: Descendants in Time. There are also some Egyptian themed games that were pretty decent, but I can't remember their titles right now.

Ermm

Erudite
Dracula 3: The Path of the Dragon - my mind is a bit hazy on this, but if I recall correctly there is a fair amount of reading and note taking in this one. I really liked this.

I remember I played Dracula 2 (which is supposed to be in the same series)? It was alright, kinda, but some thing boogled my mind.

Like at the start of the game there are 3 shady looking fisherman dudes, and that I had to spend considerable amount of time to kill them in many insidious ways, like throwing chandelier on one of them.
Why? I don't know. Didn't felt like they followed me. Still, it always cracked me up, because it looked like the main character killed them just because to get the next item for the next puzzle etc.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There is this somewhat recent game that would perfectly fit your requirements I think. It's Lovecraft-themed, Myst-like and with a lot of stuff to read, with puzzles right into the stuff you read (that is you need to find clues in them by underlining the correct lines). Didn't play much of it, though, and can't remember right now how it's called. Will search for it, but maybe someone else knows what I'm talking about.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
There is this somewhat recent game that would perfectly fit your requirements I think. It's Lovecraft-themed, Myst-like and with a lot of stuff to read, with puzzles right into the stuff you read (that is you need to find clues in them by underlining the correct lines). Didn't play much of it, though, and can't remember right now how it's called. Will search for it, but maybe someone else knows what I'm talking about.

Darkness Within and Darkness Within 2. And yeah. These would also fit.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

I remember I played Dracula 2 (which is supposed to be in the same series)? It was alright, kinda, but some thing boogled my mind.

Like at the start of the game there are 3 shady looking fisherman dudes, and that I had to spend considerable amount of time to kill them in many insidious ways, like throwing chandelier on one of them.
Why? I don't know. Didn't felt like they followed me. Still, it always cracked me up, because it looked like the main character killed them just because to get the next item for the next puzzle etc.
Dracula 2: The Last Sanctuary? There are other things I remember from that game. :obviously:

INyRm.jpg

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Have you tried Byzantine: The Betrayal? Fascinating game, has a kind of derpy ending, but the rest of it it's very interesting and reminds me a lot of Last Express. And the live-action is quite good.
Funny story about that game -- when I was first trying to get into the game industry, I interviewed for a job with Sarah Stocker, who wrote Byzantine. (She also wrote the disastrous, as I understand it, Pool of Radiance game from 2000 or whenever it was.) It turned out that I would have to drop out of college to take the job, which I didn't want to do. So we wound up just chatting about her experience as a game writer. The best story was that apparently the actors in Byzantine were Turkish soap opera actors who spoke no English. In order to do their lines, they would basically memorize the phonemes in the words and just recite them without having any idea what the individual words meant. Sometimes they would deliver lines with the syllables totally jumbled. It's pretty amazing, given that, that the FMV was as good as it was, but apparently the actors were willing to work really hard to make it succeed.

@ op
If you can deal with playing a text-only game, I recommend Anchorhead with all my heart. I think you'll love it. The first three quarters of the game are just about perfect, and have a lot of what you're talking about. The last quarter is good, but not nearly as good.

glasnost

Augur
I recommend Anchorhead with all my heart. I think you'll love it. The first three quarters of the game are just about perfect, and have a lot of what you're talking about. The last quarter is good, but not nearly as good.

If Anchorhead scratches the itch you might look into The King of Shreds and Patches as well. It mines a similar space, albeit in a shorter amount of playing time.

Elaborate Elizabethan setting. Get drunk; crash on Shakespeare's couch.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I played it for a while and had various issues with it, culminating with a sequence where I went to talk to Dr. Dee and the game kept telling me that there was something more that I needed to talk to him about, but I couldn't for the life of me find a way to open up any new topics. I got so frustrated that I threw in the towel.

I didn't think there was anything quite as great as the research puzzle in Anchorhead, nor the terrifying -- most terrifying IF ever! -- moment where you hide in the well.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I think I get what you're saying. Kind of like a game where you read a bunch of crap, collect clues, dialogue and resolve "puzzles" through detective work instead of using a rubber chicken or doing a jigsaw puzzle to open a door? I can't think of any games other than the ones you've probably already played like Gabriel Knight and Blade Runner. Even than, it's not the complete package due to technology limits on not using text parsers anymore. I'd love a proper detective (doesn't need to literally be a private dick) adventure game done that way and I'm guessing AI will get to that point relatively soon.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The best story was that apparently the actors in Byzantine were Turkish soap opera actors who spoke no English. In order to do their lines, they would basically memorize the phonemes in the words and just recite them without having any idea what the individual words meant. Sometimes they would deliver lines with the syllables totally jumbled. It's pretty amazing, given that, that the FMV was as good as it was, but apparently the actors were willing to work really hard to make it succeed.
Interesting, since Byzantine was released here in Brazil fully dubbed, I never heard the original audio. However, seeing some of the videos on youtube, you can see some of the actors are having a very hard time getting their text across. But in the end it adds even more flavour to the game, and is still a quite solid adventure game, that probably only gets overlooked due how mindfucked it gets in the end...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Bioforge has a lot of reading and in fact the whole backstory is delivered through logs you find in the computers. It does have some action elements , but it's mostly an adventure.
IIRC Post Mortem also has a fair amount of book/note reading, it's first person and it has an interesting mystery story, so it probably fits your bill, BC.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Zork Nemesis? I seem to remember tons of notes, books etc. lying around. But I could be wrong since it's been many years since I played it. It's first person too, similar style to Myst. And the boxed version includes a little diary/notebook from the previous guy which is p. interesting. (not to mention ominous as fuck)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Alone in the Dark (original) is an obvious choice.

Zork Nemesis is great, though sometimes feels like a Zork in name only. Bizarre as fuck and very well written.

Adam Cadre IFs are more about reading than solving puzzles, but they're extremely well written. Shrapnel and Varicella are both fantastic.

Morrowind obviously :smug:

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I played a demo of Qasir al-Wasat, a sort of stealth adventure game with a perspective that reminds me of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Basically, you are a mostly invisble demon creature that is very fragile i.e. one hit and you die. You are summoned to a castle that is literally in-between day and night and while you explore the castle and work out some of the puzzles contained within you have quite a few documents to read and you can collect alchemy recipes as well.

http://qasir.adugestudio.com/#game

Qasir_07.jpg

Qasir_13.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom