Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aleph the RPG needs your help!

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
If you feel like being a patron of RPGs then here is your chance. Aleph is an independent RPG currently in development and the dev needs your help.

Some excerpts describing the game:

"It is a large open world, meaning everything is to scale and persistent. There is a day/night cycle which can effect a number of game elements, as well as a weather system. Townsfolk do not exist just to spout one-liners and are highly interactive. In fact, the whole world of Alpeh is interactive. If something is not nailed to the floor, you can pick it up and bring it wherever you wish. This offers a large myriad of opportunities for you to create housing, bases, storage areas for your equipment, and so forth as you see fit. Although you do get an official housing area, there is nothing stopping you from taking any number of locations in the game as your base of operations. Libraries are overflowing with books, many of which offer relevant or helpful information to the player who can utilize it right. Aleph is a living, breathing world, but only if you can protect it from the scores of hideous creatures out to destroy it!"

Link:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1726132015/aleph-remember-what-made-games-great

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
But I have to say I'm impressed he already made that much money, including 3 donations of $175.

Do people at least get the alpha clients to play around while he's running this scam developing this game?

Fens

Ford of the Llies
i've seen worse but what's with naming it after the first letter in the hebrew alphabet and having a celtic cross on the title screen ?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
What are you spending the money on? Those are the default RPG Maker graphics and the engine only costs like $40.

circ

Arcane
Hookers and blow.

Thinking of saving up to a Ferrari because that's free pussy right there. Free coke too? Yeah, buy a nice car and save a shitload of money is what I always say.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
ANIMETSU~~~DUSEKAWAIIII

I'd rather support Islam and terrorism.

*knock knock*

bigstockphoto_Business_Man_In_Black_Suit_640491.jpg

Excuse me, would any of you gentlemen be interested in making a donation f-

ku-klux-klan-meeting.jpg

3896927-a-black-man-in-a-nice-business-suit-on-a-grey-background.jpg

12w_kkk.jpg

Back in MY day, trolling meant somethin'

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Wow, that's all the effort it takes to get people to pledge 4,000$ for your game?

Flatlander

Liturgist
Excidium said:
But I have to say I'm impressed he already made that much money, including 3 donations of $175.

Do people at least get the alpha clients to play around while he's running this scam developing this game?
Indie JRPGs seem to be hot these days, with the Nintendo generation aging up and getting nostalgic.

Might make sense to build Codex Approved :incline: RPG masqueraded as a Final Fantasy ripoff.

Edit: Fuck, over $4000 with something that looks like your generic RPG Maker game :retarded:

LordDenton

Augur
Who finds it fun to play as a 6 year old kid who fights other kids? Fucking pedophiles.

sirfink

Scholar
PorkaMorka said:
Wow, that's all the effort it takes to get people to pledge 4,000$ for your game?

I know, right?

Hey Codex, I'm making an RPG called Choices & Consequences. It will be 2D isometric, turn-based combat and include tastefully done rape. Now accepting donations.

PVGames

Novice
Hello everyone,

I was made aware that someone posted my project here with the intention of raising awareness. This is my first time visiting here, so please allow me to clarify some things regarding Aleph.

Aleph is an open-world, exploration-driven RPG. It is greatly inspired by the Ultima series, and to a lesser extend the early Final Fantasy games, particularly the battle system. It is a large, persistent world and the player can go about playing the game in whichever way they choose. This is not a JRPG, as the player does not bounce between plot point to plot point on a narrow, scripted path. Although there is an overarching story, it does not prod you along any set path. Morality figures prominently into the gameplay as well; the player's decisions will carry great weight. The game also comes with a companion book which will offer insight into the game world, its creatures, locations, and much more.

@Excidium: There would be little point to having people play with the Alpha client simply because the game is developed in distinct pieces. One piece has the game world, one piece has the entities, one piece has the coding, and so forth. Once all of these pieces are finished and assembled so that the game is fully playable, it will be time for Beta, where people can play test the game.

@JarlFrank: I am not sure precisely what you are indicating - if it is the pluralization of Zelda, that would be because I played multiple Zelda titles growing up: The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II: The Adventures of Link, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. I could have said "the Legend of Zelda games" but figured the short-hand pluralization of Zelda would suffice. If you are referring to the fact that I played Zelda games when growing up in the 80's and 90's, then one must understand that we did not have the plethora of games (especially RPGs) that we have now.

@Fens: This was a deliberate desicion. The cross is specifically a cross of Redemption (the inner circle symbolizing the circle of redemption), something that plays a fairly central thematic role. Aleph itself, although the first letter of the hebrew alphabet, is generally thought of to mean "the first", which bears a certain meaning to the game itself, and also serves a slightly personal role in that it is my first release. However, that explanation is incidental - I originally came across the notion from reading Jorge Luis Borges' "The Aleph", in which the title object was a device which allowed the user to see every single point in the universe from every possible angle with clarity and no confusion or disorientation.

@Cboyardee: The default graphics are there because they were licensable. Original art is being made by a talented artist and the licensed art will be replaced (only the trees and grass and such are from the Maker license, the rest is customized). The engine itself, while being a paltry $60, is so limiting and only fit to make Dragon Quest clones. I have had the privlidge of receving the help from a couple of coders who have really vamped up the engine and its possibilities, giving me a wide range of features that I can implement from a Fallout/Oblivion style inventory system, dynamic items/item placement, mouse support, higher resolution, and much more. There are also external applications being used to develop the game, so it's not like just anyone can get a Maker and whip this up, there are tens of thousands of lines of code written specifically for this game. Additional costs come in the form of music - the composer is extremely talented and deserves more than what I can give him out of my own pocket. Other costs include production of the accompanying book.

@Zed and anyone else thinking this is an anime JRPG: Aside from the current character sprites, which may change if I ever find a decent sprite artist, there is absolutely nothing anime about this game. As mentioned previous, the greatest influence is the Ultima series which, to me anyway, is the founding father of the western RPG.

If there are any questions, feel free to ask, I will stop by this forum again and check. Thank you kindly.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
As of right now you have about 2,500$ more than your goal. What else do you need?

P.S - I watched the trailer. This is literally RPG maker shit. Grats on scamming retards.

Destroid

Arcane
Why would an indie want to produce a physical version of their game at all, let alone with a book?

Fens

Ford of the Llies
PVGames said:
@JarlFrank: If you are referring to the fact that I played Zelda games when growing up in the 80's and 90's, then one must understand that we did not have the plethora of games (especially RPGs) that we have now.
oh boy... it really is your first time here... quick summary: there was a lot of games in the 80s & 90s, zelda is not considered an RPG and most 80s & 90s RPGs are considered superior to (nearly) everything post 2000

@Fens: ...
ok... thanks for explaining

@Cboyardee: The default graphics are there because they were licensable. Original art is being made by a talented artist and the licensed art will be replaced (only the trees and grass and such are from the Maker license, the rest is customized).
care to show some examples ?

@Zed and anyone else thinking this is an anime JRPG: Aside from the current character sprites, which may change if I ever find a decent sprite artist, there is absolutely nothing anime about this game.
so you will change the battle system ? because that looks very JRPG

PVGames

Novice
Destroid said:
Why would an indie want to produce a physical version of their game at all, let alone with a book?

There is a rather rabid niche market hungry for new old-school style games. Part of what I loved about the Ultima games was that they came with books, written from the perspective of an in-game character. To me, this created immersion. And honestly, I think I enjoyed flipping through the pages of the books a bit more than playing the actual games themselves. I wanted to recreate that experience for those who want to experience it, but don't want to retread games they already played 10-20 years ago.

I realize that the forum users here are most likely not the niche market I am reaching out to, but keep in mind that I did not post this topic here nor did I solicit it. The person who posted it did so with good intention, but it is not my goal to try and have everyone make a purchase. The places I have posted (and where the original poster of this topic saw) are generally geared more towards the people who just want something akin to what they had 'back in the day' while still experiencing something new with more modern capabilities. My goal was to make something for people to enjoy.

Concerning the 'how much money do I need' remark: If I could do this for free, I would. I have no control over how many people pay, and to be perfectly honest, I never expected to even reach the minimum goal. But, it is not like it is going into my pocket. The more people that order, the more books I need to have produced and shipped (along with whatever other physical products that accompany). Not to mention Kickstarter and Amazon take around 10% combined off the top. And then there is paying the help - the composer, the coders, the artist (going to bring on one more artist who can do sprite art) who is in the process of making original graphics. With whatever is left, it is going to go towards Unity so that future games can be produced cross-platform. It was never my intention to profit from this (for the first year of making the game, I paid the composer out of my own pocket), and I do not plan to do so now. I am using this as a platform to create better games in the future.

And for the RPG Maker comments: I am not sure if you read the project or above post, but this is not something you can whip up in RPG Maker as is. What you are seeing is some of the licensed art, which is understandable because that is what I am using as a placeholder until the original graphics are finished.

Edit: Sorry Fens, didn't see your post while I was writing mine. The battle system, as I said (though that might have been somewhere else) is the only aspect of the game inspired by games like Final Fantasy. The rest of the gameplay itself, the inventory system, attribute system, crafting system, book system, and pretty much everything else is very western RPG, more inspired by games like Ultima, Oblivion, Fallout, etc. Anyways, regarding the art, I will show a sample. Here is the first draft one set of trees:

supergodjesustrees.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom