Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aleph the RPG needs your help!

curry

Arcane
FatCat said:
Id rather support Grimoire

Trollface-lol.jpg

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
PVGames said:
Destroid said:
Why would an indie want to produce a physical version of their game at all, let alone with a book?

There is a rather rabid niche market hungry for new old-school style games. Part of what I loved about the Ultima games was that they came with books, written from the perspective of an in-game character. To me, this created immersion. And honestly, I think I enjoyed flipping through the pages of the books a bit more than playing the actual games themselves. I wanted to recreate that experience for those who want to experience it, but don't want to retread games they already played 10-20 years ago.

I realize that the forum users here are most likely not the niche market I am reaching out to, but keep in mind that I did not post this topic here nor did I solicit it. The person who posted it did so with good intention, but it is not my goal to try and have everyone make a purchase. The places I have posted (and where the original poster of this topic saw) are generally geared more towards the people who just want something akin to what they had 'back in the day' while still experiencing something new with more modern capabilities. My goal was to make something for people to enjoy.

Concerning the 'how much money do I need' remark: If I could do this for free, I would. I have no control over how many people pay, and to be perfectly honest, I never expected to even reach the minimum goal. But, it is not like it is going into my pocket. The more people that order, the more books I need to have produced and shipped (along with whatever other physical products that accompany). Not to mention Kickstarter and Amazon take around 10% combined off the top. And then there is paying the help - the composer, the coders, the artist (going to bring on one more artist who can do sprite art) who is in the process of making original graphics. With whatever is left, it is going to go towards Unity so that future games can be produced cross-platform. It was never my intention to profit from this (for the first year of making the game, I paid the composer out of my own pocket), and I do not plan to do so now. I am using this as a platform to create better games in the future.

And for the RPG Maker comments: I am not sure if you read the project or above post, but this is not something you can whip up in RPG Maker as is. What you are seeing is some of the licensed art, which is understandable because that is what I am using as a placeholder until the original graphics are finished.

Edit: Sorry Fens, didn't see your post while I was writing mine. The battle system, as I said (though that might have been somewhere else) is the only aspect of the game inspired by games like Final Fantasy. The rest of the gameplay itself, the inventory system, attribute system, crafting system, book system, and pretty much everything else is very western RPG, more inspired by games like Ultima, Oblivion, Fallout, etc. Anyways, regarding the art, I will show a sample. Here is the first draft one set of trees:

supergodjesustrees.png

You are in the wrong place. Trust me when I say this: leave and don't look back. If you want useful input for game design, this is the last place you want to get it from.

MMXI

Arcane
Why is the combat system inspired by Final Fantasy and not inspired by Wizardry? Perhaps it's because you've only played Final Fantasy, Ultima VII and Oblivion before, yet think you've got the knowledge needed to make a good RPG? Is the combat system REALLY inspired by Final Fantasy or is Final Fantasy the only game with blob-based combat that you've played in your entire life? We need to get to the bottom of this right away!

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
PVGames said:
And for the RPG Maker comments: I am not sure if you read the project or above post, but this is not something you can whip up in RPG Maker as is.

Bro I've used RPGmaker.

Are you going to compensate the programmers who's scripts you're using? I've seen premade scripts for that battle system setup, dungeon lighting, weather effects, etc. As long as you have their permission/are compensating them, then go right ahead. If you tell me that it's all made from scratch, then I'm going to tell you that was a waste of time since almost everything shown off in your video has been done before.

Also, why the hell does Jaesun move Rance 2 to General Gaming and not this. I'M ONTO YOU JAESUN.

Renegen

Arcane
Just go ahead and do it, you should learn a little bit along the experience. I played a few indie jRPGs and they are ok. Personally I don't recommend making an jRPG. Despite how popular they are, I don't think yours will be. I think most people can only digest 1 jRPG a year.

Try something different, and you better have a good idea if you're going to ask money from people. Think about what will make the game different, your trailer looked incredibly generic. For example, instead of generic jRPG, you will now make an jRPG - with mechs!

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Renegen said:
Just go ahead and do it, you should learn a little bit along the experience. I played a few indie jRPGs and they are ok. Personally I don't recommend making an jRPG. Despite how popular they are, I don't think yours will be. I think most people can only digest 1 jRPG a year.

Try something different, and you better have a good idea if you're going to ask money from people. Think about what will make the game different, your trailer looked incredibly generic. For example, instead of generic jRPG, you will now make an jRPG - with mechs!

It's pretty far in development already... He just wants money to buy art and music I'd reckon.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
PVGames said:
@Zed and anyone else thinking this is an anime JRPG: Aside from the current character sprites, which may change if I ever find a decent sprite artist, there is absolutely nothing anime about this game. As mentioned previous, the greatest influence is the Ultima series which, to me anyway, is the founding father of the western RPG.
Anyone who sees the combat with the FF-like sprites doing the walk-animation during combat, or the interface very reminiscent of console ((S)NES) RPGs will think: oh... RPG maker.

Besides the screenshots there is nothing that tells any guaranteed truths about this game.

Some of these things sound great:
there is a rather extensive crafting system which allows you to create your own weapons, armour, potions, food, provisions, and other items
These dungeons are truly a test of skill and ability. Devious traps, mind-bending riddles and puzzles
Townsfolk do not exist just to spout one-liners and are highly interactive.
There is a day/night cycle which can effect a number of game elements
+ The stuff about choices and consequences.
But other than your claims, there's no evidence of this. Is there some sort of demo for all this?

A $4300 budget (and still asking for more I assume?) should produce something a lot more intriguing than something that looks like a RPG maker game. If the world is so open and dynamic as you claim, this and the stuff I quoted above should be able to be showcased.

Pablosdog

Prophet
Phage said:
Renegen said:

It's pretty far in development already... He just wants money to buy art and music I'd reckon.

more likely hookers and blow

Eyeball

Arcane
I am a great patron of independent games and consider several indies to be among the top games of their genre (Soldat and Mount&Blade come to mind), but I see very little in your video that can persuade me to spend money on supporting it. It looks far too generic and too much like all the other FREE RPGmaker games out there in both art style and combat, and I'm not even inherently hostile to JRPGs. Nothing I see makes this title stand out over other free titles such as the brilliant Exit Fate.

If you want to make the Codex love you, do something like Knights of the Chalice instead. JRPG combat is almost universally frowned upon on these boards.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Zed said:
PVGames said:
@Zed and anyone else thinking this is an anime JRPG: Aside from the current character sprites, which may change if I ever find a decent sprite artist, there is absolutely nothing anime about this game. As mentioned previous, the greatest influence is the Ultima series which, to me anyway, is the founding father of the western RPG.
Anyone who sees the combat with the FF-like sprites doing the walk-animation during combat, or the interface very reminiscent of console ((S)NES) RPGs will think: oh... RPG maker.

Besides the screenshots there is nothing that tells any guaranteed truths about this game.

there is a rather extensive crafting system which allows you to create your own weapons, armour, potions, food, provisions, and other items
These dungeons are truly a test of skill and ability. Devious traps, mind-bending riddles and puzzles
But other than your claims, there's no evidence of this. Is there some sort of demo for all this?

A $4300 budget (and still asking for more I assume?) should produce something a lot more intriguing than something that looks like a RPG maker game. If the world is so open and dynamic as you claim, this and the stuff I quoted above should be able to be showcased.

I just want to point out that other people have created scripts that aspiring RPGmakers can copy for crafting, traps/riddles in dungeons, dialogue trees with townsfolk and day+night. The CnC will obviously have to be handmade.

Butcer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Phage said:
Zed said:
PVGames said:

I just want to point out that other people have created scripts that aspiring RPGmakers can copy for crafting, traps/riddles in dungeons, dialogue trees with townsfolk and day+night. The CnC will obviously have to be handmade.

yOU raised $4300 :retarded: God damn i could use such cash for well yeah hookers and blow(well drugs i think coke is a overrated crap drug ) two things i love in real life

Once upon i time i had around 10000$ i spent it litteraly all on hookers and blow :salute: Now im broke

Butcer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Is it going to feature tastefully done rape?

Jrpg's have to feature a tentacle rape under the law :M

That and spiky blue haired anime characters

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
It is inspired by such great RPGs as the early Final Fantasy series, Ultimas, Dragon Quests, and Zeldas.

I stopped reading there.
You stopped at Zelda? Zelda is as much an RPG as Final Fantasy and far more inspiring.

I was thinking about using kisckstarter for a game engine I was working on. I am going to offer free use of the engine to anyone that drops 500+. Might make it 300.

Damn is it this easy to get 4K lol? The Indie RPG movment will be televised

hanssolo

Educated
Kaanyrvhok said:
Zelda is as much an RPG as Final Fantasy and far more inspiring.

yeah bro final fantasy s*x zelda is way more rpg ta
hn fianal fantasy cause you get quests and shizz
and only quest you get in f*gstay is where you
go an kill guys still the game ends f*ck thatr sh
*t every body now rpg are about get chikens
till i say so thats wat i f*cken liked about
ultimas and wizards f*cken hey!

lets f*kn play some rel RPGG!!!ye

The-wizard.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom