Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline All of this can be yours!

Ninjerk

Arcane
I wouldnt give my address to a Codexer. :M
The real purpose of the thread is revealed

EDIT: ^ thirsty ^

Destroid

Arcane
There are plenty of "geek girls" now so you can still pull some ass even if you like pnp, comics, and other fantasy shit.

It's largely a joke, although I have to say that I tend to find "geek girls" intolerable.

That's why I don't blame normal women at all for feeling the same way about geek guys—except in the case of guys, it's even worse, because geekery is a heart shot to serious notions of masculinity.

Anyway, we're getting off-topic here.

>plebeians not having their own corporation for the express purpose of receiving mail at an address other than their own

There's nothing wrong with men or women who have geeky hobbies, it's people who put that identity front and centre that are annoying.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There's nothing wrong with men or women who have geeky hobbies

Typical+found+it+funny_584fa0_4942104.png

Don Peste

Arcane
You live in Spain, right? Or was it Andorra or Portugal? I work for a shipping company, I can pick up everything for 5€.

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
I'd like those WEG Star Wars books, but fuck if I'm going to pay gazillion potatoes for the shipping. Besides, there have been few here who are willing to get the whole shebang, so it's kind of moot anyway. (Nice gesture though, as said.)

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
Aren't you coming to Sydney Blaine? You can just bring it and I can buy all that shit off you.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Put me in for the Blue Planet books.

As the GM for a 1st ed. AD&D retroclone (Hackmaster 4e *wink* it's the first ed), which is crunchy beyond belief, would you recommend any of this? I really like the sensibilities, mostly aesthetics and world-building, of Shadowrun 2E. That character generation system is total shit though.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Well, I discarded class-based rules systems in the very early 2000s. The crunchiest system I have is almost certainly GURPS 4e. I also have very little fantasy, other than Talislanta 4e, which is non-Tolkienesque ("No Elves!") and is summed up nicely here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talislanta

Talislanta 4e is one huge book and is generally considered to be the best edition. This isn't surprising, since after the early 2000s, everything started turning to shit.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
How much for the lot of it?

If you're going to flat-out buy it, then make me an offer.

I'm not even remotely hard-up for cash, so chances are it will end up given away regardless. I just want them to go to someone who will use them.

My immense cousin and her equally immense husband are out-of-the-closet dweebs and obsessed with Star Wars. They attend dweeb cons yearly and all that nonsense. She's also probably a mild SJW, but it's hard to tell, so that's nice. They have a kid now though, and despite my offering them any and all of my old RPG books (in which they did express interest upon my offering), there they still sit, including WEG Star Wars.

Misconnected

Savant
Well, postage's probably gonna be murder so how about I start with a bid of 10$ for the lot?

- I'm in really fucking far-away Denmark.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Well, I discarded class-based rules systems in the very early 2000s. The crunchiest system I have is almost certainly GURPS 4e. I also have very little fantasy, other than Talislanta 4e, which is non-Tolkienesque ("No Elves!") and is summed up nicely here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talislanta

Talislanta 4e is one huge book and is generally considered to be the best edition. This isn't surprising, since after the early 2000s, everything started turning to shit.
I read that link and did some other research.. that sounds great. Please put me down for Talislanta 4e as well as the blue planet collection. The systems don't have to be crunchy, but that's the experience my table has at the moment. Good atmosphere and setting are also important to us, and it sounds like Talislanta has that in spades. Plus I like the idea of a classless system, I've only used class-based for PnP (thought I enjoy classless in crpgs like fallout and bloodlines).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Well, postage's probably gonna be murder so how about I start with a bid of 10$ for the lot?

Well, if the UPS calculator I've been tinkering with (from my city/postal code to 1473 in Copenhagen) is any indicator, it could run up $1,000 or more converted from DKK. I entered 60kg of weight into the calculator, as well as an estimated declared customs value of $200. Minimum, even if the weight estimate is high, would be $500-750.

Thing is, anyone who wants these has to pay shipping too, so if you're buying them, then what you're doing in essence is buying first place in "line." I don't think $10 is enough for that.

Misconnected

Savant
Holy shit... OK I'm backing down then. I'd guessed it would be 2-300$

Oh well.

EDIT: you should consider selling your stuff somewhere though. You can definitely get money for some of that stuff.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yeah, books are heavy. I just now went and weighed a stack (there are approximately four stacks of similar height, plus extras lying about), and it weighed right around 25 pounds. With more accurate information entered into the calculator, cheapest estimate comes to $716.58/4,674.20 DKK:

c1ae0c1c99.png

I've thought of selling them, but retailers (online or brick-and-mortar) might offer $1 a book, or possibly $2, so they can fuck off. I have no desire to hand any merchant almost completely free profits, so I might as well give them away. I could parcel them out on eBay or whatever, but I'm really not sure it's worth the hours of taking pictures, creating auctions, keeping an eye on email for updates, processing payments, shipping the books, etc. for, at most, around $1,000, more likely $500.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, books are heavy. I just now went and weighed a stack (there are approximately four stacks of similar height, plus extras lying about), and it weighed right around 25 pounds. With more accurate information entered into the calculator, cheapest estimate comes to $716.58/4,674.20 DKK:

c1ae0c1c99.png

I've thought of purchasing them, but retailers (online or brick-and-mortar) might offer $1 a book, which I'm not going to take. I could parcel them out on eBay or whatever, but I'm really not sure it's worth the hours of taking pictures, creating auctions, keeping an eye on email for updates, processing payments, shipping the books, etc. for, at most, around $1,000, more likely $500.
Obviously I'll happily pay postage. I'm in Texas.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, don't UPS or FedEx for anything larger or heavier than your butt.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hmm, says it would cost me $150 for shipping.

I put 16 X 10 X 16 inches and 106 lbs for package. Definitely within a reasonable price range.

Honestly, just put your stuff in a box and take it over to your moms house and store them with the rest of your old pnp books.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Thanks for suggesting that, Flunkle. I never would have thought of it otherwise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom