Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol new screens

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Kingston said:
http://www.shacknews.com/images/image-o-matic.x?/images/sshots/Screenshot/10290/10290_487ceaab0cc95.jpg

Facial hair ain't ever been so well designed!

Starwars

Arcane
The combat screens are boring to look at, but they really seem to be getting some nice personality into those characters faces.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I really can forgive Obsidian poor graphics and a one shitty game because they've made two nice ones and trying to deliver the next one (SoZ). Yet when I look at ME in Middle-East it makes me really sad.

Shoelip

Arbiter
These pics don't really show much of anything except an apparent emphasis on pointing guns at people.

Texas Red

Whiner
Am I the only one repulsed by the idea of playing a young, superman glocks n cocks spy? They could have gone with something more interesting, say a bot bellied older man with a cynical attitude.

Also, since when do the developers began thinking that being forced to play a particular role instead of choosing to play yourself and immersing in escapism, is better? Jesus Christ, the popularity of tabletop games is that you CHOOSE a role. How hard is it to put 2 and 2 together and get 4?

AP will not sell. It doesn't have any allure. A gamer, based on screens, can't really identify it. It just looks like a mediocre modern shooter. Because they have abandoned the RPG elements in false hope of getting the attention of FPS whores, they left their game completely empty. The only "attraction" is a generic setting and art style and lame combat, with an addition of basic RPG elements.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Also, since when do the developers began thinking that being forced to play a particular role instead of choosing to play yourself and immersing in escapism, is better?"

PST
FF series
DW

Just to name a few...

Starwars

Arcane
Preview from E3: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/alp ... id=6194184

Best bits:

Our demo began with Michael Thorton, the former spy protagonist who's been cast out of the CIA, overlooking the United States embassy in Moscow. With the story still mostly under wraps, we didn't get much information on what brought Thorton to this location, or what his ultimate goal is once inside, but we were given a look at some of the gameplay basics involved in getting there. It begins with the guard at the front door. You can stroll up to him and try to smooth talk your way in using the game's "Dialogue Stance" system, which is essentially a way of choosing basic emotions over pre-set lines of dialogue, but a few other options exist. If you're the sneaky type, you can try to make it around to the back entrance using stealth, and if you're the straightforward type, you can simple shoot the guard where he stands. That last option carries a penalty, however, because one of the many factions you have to do business with over the course of the game is the Marines, so when they get wind of you killing their own, they're les inclined to cooperating with you later on.

Finally, Obsidian finished off by giving us a look at some of the ways your decisions in the game carry consequences that affect you throughout the rest of the story. This time, Thorton was sent to a level in the Middle East to find a weapons dealer named Nasri. When you get to him, you're given the option to let him go, turn him in, or just kill him. If you let him go, you'll lose reputation with the agency that sent you on the mission, if you let him go, you can buy weapons from him whenever you like, and if you kill him, you'll unlock a perk called "Any Last Words." We couldn't pry an explanation out of Obsidian about this perk, but they did tell us it affects your dialogue abilities. Of course, that can't help us from wondering if it might be a technique to help you intimidate people. They know you've killed in the past, so they'll be more willing to dish out information to you--that type of upgrade.

Bad news is still the twitchy combat.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Looks pretty cool actually. The combat does not look boring and the levels seem to have alot more personality than what I've seen before. I also like the characters,

Oh, and DI, quit projecting your own insecurities and hangups on game persona. It's ridiculous.

Texas Red

Whiner
Volourn said:
"Also, since when do the developers began thinking that being forced to play a particular role instead of choosing to play yourself and immersing in escapism, is better?"

PST
FF series
DW

Just to name a few...

In PS:T you could choose absolutely any alignment you wanted. FF is a completely different market. No idea what DW is.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"In PS:T you could choose absolutely any alignment you wanted."

You still play the role they give you. You are still TNO. NOTHING you choose changes that. Your chocies in PST are ultimately an illusion. You are still TNO. Period.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So, if you could type your own name in the start and choose gender and facial hair , you could really roleplay. It doesn't matter if you truly have choices in the game, the problem is that your name is noname.

Please change your name VO and roleplay someone that doesn't have R00fles! in his vocabulary.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, look. One point of RPGs is to play a role, isn't it? I like an RPG already a lot more if it allows me to select these things: race, class, voice, skills, abilities, talents, background, name, portrait, gender.

That just belongs. RPGs without that don't tickle my fancy much because, well... you're still the same dude.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, Deus Ex is not an RPG, but an FPS/RPG hybrid (and not much RPG at that), so it would be outright silly to apply the standards to it you'd apply to Wizardry or Might and Magic.

And besides, I never said that the lack of such an option makes a game worse; I just said I don't really like it.

Am I really that unclear?

In before someone says you always have to play the Avatar in Ultima.

Edit: In before someone says that Deus Ex is an RPG and nothing else because you play a role; just like you play the Master Chief in Halo, my favourite RPG.

RainSong

Scholar
Ye I also like to choose the length of my tentacles and the breast size and hair color of my prey, but I can overlook the lack of it if there is a great story behind it all.

And let's face it, it's easier to put a good story in a game when you have a predefined hero.

Raapys

Arcane
I don't know, I think it has its good sides too. Thing is that when you're playing a pre-generated character it's easier to make the storyline around that character.

The few games I can remember having it( PST, The Witcher ) have all been good, too.

Doesn't Deus Ex fit most the 'definitions' of RPGs though? It's not any less of an RPG than, say, Arx Fatalis?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom