Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol preview-interview

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?optio ... 9&Itemid=2

“We’re used to giving players options as to dialogue and how to approach missions,” says Avellone, explaining that Obsidian’s aim is that the world will react to what you do, both changing the story around your choices (who lives and who dies, who you win over and who you alienate) and providing feedback for your actions via television and radio. All of this raises immediate concerns about the butterfly effect – early whims unwittingly locking you into a certain path later down the line – but Avellone is confident he knows how to play fair.

He certainly seems to be taking such choices seriously: we’re shown a mission’s flowchart and a sample dialogue tree, and they both look like master documents for a space shuttle launch. It remains to be seen whether this dangerous complexity will result in an engaging story.
So far so good.

The freedom of approach becomes even clearer in our second demo level, a dusty Middle East canyon. While there’s no doubt the player’s being tightly funneled towards the objective, a rescue raid on an enemy base, once the base itself appears a number of approaches are available: a slow crawl through cover, sniping your way inwards, or an explosive free-for-all followed by some frantic zip-lining.
Sniping or gun-blazing? How very Far Cry. Let's hope the game will offer a bit more tactical options than that.

The second distinction is the extent to which the game wants to welcome you in, giving you the superspy world of headshots and flying kicks, but without the brutal admin of dragging bodies out of sight and tidying up after yourself – the espionage equivalent of being told to make your own bed. Guards will trigger alarms on finding corpses, and Parker admits that if further playtesting reveals players want to shunt their victims around then it may be implemented, but it’s a sign of how streamlined an experience Alpha Protocol is willing to be in order to find an audience.
Most admirable.

Central to that answer is the Dialogue Stance System, or DSS. Working a lot like the Mass Effect dialogue wheel, it has a few crucial additions. The first of these is a Fahrenheit-style time limit for each response. “We want to force decisions in dialogue to preserve tension,” explains Parker....
"What could be worse than the Mass Effect dialogue system?" question has finally been answered.

There’s no playing back through dialogue trees to get a better outcome. (Avoiding the potential for frustration this may cause, there is no wrong answer in most circumstances, just different consequences and different rewards.)
Very promising.

The team has still made some potentially controversial choices, however, such as offering unlimited ammo...
Because it always works so well.

... and an inability to pick up guns from enemies.
Now THAT sucks. Nothing breaks realism faster than killing a bunch of well-armed guys and being unable to pick up their guns.

Obsidian is explicit that it really wants players to get to the end – or ends – of their game, but there’s a danger that this streamlining of resource management, coupled with Alpha Protocol’s brand of simplified stealth, may result in a game that has removed too much of the challenge for some of its audience.
Which is a popular trend these days and if there is one thing Obsidian games are missing, that would be challenge.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Ah true. I hope they modify the combat to be slightly challenging. I mean, unlimited ammo just encourages reckless gaming. Make it an option at least.

MetalCraze

Arcane
and providing feedback for your actions via television and radio.
lifts from mass effect
I only hope that there will be much more consequences to every action that will get reported on tv/radio besides... being reported

The team has still made some potentially controversial choices, however, such as offering unlimited ammo...
hello mass effect

... and an inability to pick up guns from enemies.
hello mass effect

I'm starting to really really dislike this game. I would've preferred the game to give me a gun with a very limited ammo on a mission and if and after bullets end - to look for other weapons (which would be more silent or more loud and that affected the game. like any normal stealth game)
but nooooo. we must please these retarded console kiddies with 1 dimensional thoughts: take a gun and shoot those nasty enemies, who can't be bothered with such hardcore micromanagement as reloading/looking for another gun

and what's worse - Avellone works on it
well guess the message is clear - the game is for casual players. k.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
How disappointing.

I still might pick this up, depending on the story and dialog. Those first few points were very positive.

Dark Matter

Prophet
Meh. But hey, if it keeps Obsidian from going out of business and allow them to make good games like MOTB on the side, then I can live with it.

This decision to put the focus on what the team is calling ‘action skills’ is defining Alpha Protocol

Ehhh....this could be a bit disconcerting. Most developer's first forays into the action-side after strictly RPGs are...less than great. Jade Empire for one. That game was awful. Bloodlines was okay....but Ming Xiao's place and the sewers were some of the worst "dungeons" ever created and left a really sour taste on what could have, in keeping with the metaphor, been quite a tasty game.

“We said you can’t really find a treasure chest in a lair,” laughs Parker. “Then we thought, well, maybe you can, as long as it’s a safe filled with heroin.”

Ugh...an opportunity to bounce away from traditional RPG tropes and Obsidian goes crawling back to them. How about your choices open up "supply points" from differing suppliers? Maybe if you kill a lot of one faction, you close off the availability of supply requests from them, but perhaps open up bonus supplies at a reduced price from a happy enemy faction? It fits a hell of a lot better into the spy theme than looting and selling stuff too.

Even more than that seen in Mass Effect, Obsidian is working to turn dialogue into something of a puzzle rather than just a means of switching the pace and getting boring story out the way

That's encouraging....or perhaps it's just gaming critics being foolhardy as always.

So instead we immerse them in the world

but we wanted to immerse the player in the story rather than get involved in the super nitty-gritty.

Yay buzzwords! Obsidian can bullshit with the best I suppose.

Some will say that with a move towards shooting and a dialogue system similar to Mass Effect, Obsidian is still following in the footsteps of BioWare, but that would be unfair.

Why? Even if it's wholly coincidental, it is rather true. Same general structure when it comes to combat. A slightly similar skill system, with the main difference being Mass Effect's classes dictating the skills available to be used. Not to mention the idea that dumbing down dialogue is the best thing since sliced bread....

Things got better with Neverwinter 2, but I do not consider it to be an A product. More of a B-.

Sorry man, Neverwinter Nights 2 was pretty awful. Any more than a D+ would be pushing it.

Obsidian is explicit that it really wants players to get to the end – or ends – of their game, but there’s a danger that this streamlining of resource management, coupled with Alpha Protocol’s brand of simplified stealth, may result in a game that has removed too much of the challenge for some of its audience.

And this is what will sink the game. If the action is boring and mindless with some super special awesome cinematic immersive bullshit, it really won't be worth playing. The absolutely idiotic dialogue system seems as though it will keep the player completely in the dark, and stumbling around not knowing what sort of role they are trying to play (yay vague blanket "stances") with a bunch of boring twitch combat seems like a no-go for me.

But hey, if it keeps Obsidian from going out of business and allow them to make good games like MOTB on the side, then I can live with it.

Sorry, but I've already been Herve'd once over. That's what they said about Tactics and PoS in regards to Interplay making good games like Fallout 1 and 2. Where's Fallout 3 now?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, to be fair, this doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as FOBOS.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Vault Dweller said:
"What could be worse than the Mass Effect dialogue system?" question has finally been answered.

I found this an odd statement from you. Have you actually played Mass Effect? Not that I think MA dialog system is teh greatest system of all teim! Just curious.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
ME's dialogue system is pretty good. It's, imo, just a minor step down for the traditional BIO/BIS/Troika/Obsidian system.

If this game can improve on that just a tad, go for it.

The game should be fun. In expect it to be so no worries. Can't be worse than TOEE's shitty dialogue or Bl's shitty combat, anyways.

R00fles!

Korgan

Arbiter
Hmm. In fact, all this sounds OK, quite promising, even. If only they mentioned Deus Ex somewhere, I would've been assured that MCA is going to make us his bitch once more. Anyway, it can't be worse that ME, and ME is not very awful.

gamefan

Scholar
This is one of those games I will pick up when it hits $20 for my xbox 360 for some easy gamer score. Not worth playing it on pc or even console at full price.

Very disapointed in obsidian, all there nwn 2 shit is bombing for me and yes ive played motb and i don't like it. All they have done for me is kotor 2 which was average at best.

Hopfully aliens will be better, i like the setting and the films so there is hope there.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"all there nwn 2 shit is bombing for me and yes ive played motb and i don't like it. All they have done for me is kotor 2 which was average at best."

The fact that you think KOTOR2 is better than NWN2 is laughable.

NWN series > KOTOR series

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
I have a slight tingle that this game is gonna tank. Its not gonna do any core aspect better than other games. Sure, it might have great choice and consequence etc. but with mediocre combat, mediocre stealth, a weird dialogue system and average graphics (compared to today's standards) people aren't gonna go for it.

Texas Red

Whiner
Kingston said:
I have a slight tingle that this game is gonna tank. Its not gonna do any core aspect better than other games. Sure, it might have great choice and consequence etc. but with mediocre combat, mediocre stealth, a weird dialogue system and average graphics (compared to today's standards) people aren't gonna go for it.

You're right, sir. With the usual self, they're trying to push in to a market with huge competition. The shitbox crowd has a lot better examples of stealth and combat already available. Its just the regular dumbfucking and greed of publishers.

Lumpy

Arcane
gamefan said:
Very disapointed in obsidian, all there nwn 2 shit is bombing for me and yes ive played motb and i don't like it. All they have done for me is kotor 2 which was average at best.
What RPGs did you like, anyway?

This is one of those games I will pick up when it hits $20 for my xbox 360 for some easy gamer score.
What the fuck? Why would you care about gamer score?

Starwars

Arcane
I agree Kingston, though I still think it will be a more interesting game than many. I just don't feel like Obsidian has the making of a hit here. Even the companys strength of writing and storytelling is not exactly the same as, say, Biowares who can get that "hollywood production" feel to it that can sell it to mainstream audiences.

And while both KOTOR2 and NWN2 got pretty good reviews as far as I can remember, there is still very much a feeling of Obsidian being a lesser version of Bioware. They're not popular enough with the mainstream and gaming media.

It's just a gut feeling so far, but I think Alpha Protocol will try to shoot for more mainstream audiences, but miss. I suppose whether it will fail or not will depend on the budget they're putting into it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Jaesun said:
Vault Dweller said:

I found this an odd statement from you. Have you actually played Mass Effect?
Yes.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Starwars said:
Obsidian being a lesser version of Bioware

the fault is solely Obsidian's.
Alpha Protocol feels more like "zomg, Chris how 'bout we make Mass Effect in Middle East?"

spiwak

Novice
In all fairness, the tactic makes sense. Make a couple Bioware sequels to put money in the bank, then get cracking on original games with an actual budget to make a name for themselves. If they can continue to survive then more power to them, as they've (from their Black Isle days) more than earned success, way I see it. It's still too early to tell for me with this one, but I hope Obsidian is able to make it work for their sake.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"as they've (from their Black Isle days)"

Obsidian is NOT BIS.

Dumbass.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Vault Dweller said:
I found this an odd statement from you. Have you actually played Mass Effect?
Yes.

Allrighty then. Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom