Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol

Modron

Arcane
^ keep in mind you played the best possible version of AP's gameplay (pistol). That puts the problems in perspective IMO
AR was every bit as strong and had stealth options, is kind of sad the various pre-order weapons on the consoles never got added into the pc game because there was a silenced smg in those as well. Granted smgs are pretty much the worst it would still have been interesting to see.

Sannom

Augur
Granted smgs are pretty much the worst it would still have been interesting to see.
I liked SMGs. Their critical hit mechanic was noticeably different from the other weapons and their special ability was suitably empowering.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Bwahahahaha! :lol:

Goodbye Leland. <shoots Leland in the eye>

Only boss in the game I killed. Told him I would from the get go, didn't want to be a liar.

Let Mina die... Troubling, as I don't know the truth there.

Incredibly replayable game... I went full derp Bruce Lee ninja build, barely used the gun at all and was a terrible ninja, so had to fight my way thru like a bath salt nutter.

Figured out the game (got gud) about 3/4 way thru. Thats when I sprinted by accident and was like... Oh, you can sprint!

Gameplay is annoying to bad at parts. Will go full gun build now, to see if having gun skill actually lets you hit what you shoot.

Dialog timer is mildly infuriating at first.

Graphics and animations are absolutely ridiculously bad for the time this game was released - for the VO budget alone, I can't believe this is what they released using UE3. Sad.

8/10, will replay the shit out of this for a minute, lots of things I missed and different choices to make, only banged 2/4(5?) chicks, for muh superspy that is weaksauce.

:slamdunk:

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Figured out the game (got gud) about 3/4 way thru.

I never tried a melee build, but with assault rifle and pistol your abilites get way over-powered about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through. It's definitely a matter of them not having the time to tune it well.

Let Mina die

There's some conversation near the end where she confesses to you and you're supposed to understand what she's saying and make a big decision in about 4 seconds. I felt this was the only time that the timed dialogues really let me down. I had to savescum to tell her that at least she's better than white women.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Alpha Protocol certainly wasn't friendly at all to ESLers, this is true.

I understood what Mina was saying the first time. She had nothing against you, but called Alpha Protocol on you so you'd be in a position to stop Halbech. Save her if you find her actions understandable, let her die if you hold a grudge.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Mina is hypocritical bitch and deserves to die.

From 7:09

That was my suspicion, but I'll see for myself.

I skipped a mission at the get-go, that I thought might give me some insight on her or Westridge. Maybe on one of the other douchebags. Alpha Protocol reminds me of my workplace - people smiling at you all day, trying to make sure you get the job they need done done, and then die. I need to save more money before I go full Thorton on the production office (DGAF smartass, not pycho killer).

Need to bang Scarlett. Would like to bang Sis, and of course SIE. Ideally, I smash them all and then they die, but only Mina got that treatment so far.

A spy needs to get it in when he can, it's a hard life.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I understood what Mina was saying the first time.

There's a scene IIRC in a hotel where she tells you that she betrayed you with no foreshadowing, and it takes about 3 seconds. If you aren't some kind of genius savant you can't process it in time to respond to it. I'm guessing you just never even noticed this happened because it was so quick and are getting this confused with the conversation where you're rescuing her.

It really bothered me because why am I out here being a spy if it's not to let some asian chick abuse the hell out of me? What are we even fighting for?

RaptorRex888

Learned
I've replayed this game so many times with so many variations but have not once deviated from picking all aggressive options with SIE every time.

Modron

Arcane
Imagine going through a route to align with G-22 and having Sis come rescue you, queue Business Time, then she just rolls her eyes at you, record scratches.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There's a scene IIRC in a hotel where she tells you that she betrayed you with no foreshadowing, and it takes about 3 seconds. If you aren't some kind of genius savant you can't process it in time to respond to it. I'm guessing you just never even noticed this happened because it was so quick and are getting this confused with the conversation where you're rescuing her.

It really bothered me because why am I out here being a spy if it's not to let some asian chick abuse the hell out of me? What are we even fighting for?
When Mina was in the hotel room I was fixated on kissing her asap so she could say pretty much anything and Thorton would just nod. :M

(in fact, I recall on replays that she gives you more exposition if you don't immediately hammer that "kiss her" option as soon as it pop up)

Raskens

Learned
Patron
So I thought I should play this game, but there's seems to be some issue with saving. I can enter the menu and press save, but no save will show up in the "load checkpoint" menu. In addition to this there exist no save files in any folders (documents, Alpha Protocol folder etc.). I 've googled the issue and has done the following after reading some other threads: Tried creating my own Documents/Alpha Proctocol/Checkpoints/Metadata folder, but it doesn't solve the issue; tried reinstalling the game on the same hard drive where the documents folder is located; tried running as admin, no success; and tried different windows profile. Anybody have any solution to this?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
So I thought I should play this game, but there's seems to be some issue with saving. I can enter the menu and press save, but no save will show up in the "load checkpoint" menu. In addition to this there exist no save files in any folders (documents, Alpha Protocol folder etc.). I 've googled the issue and has done the following after reading some other threads: Tried creating my own Documents/Alpha Proctocol/Checkpoints/Metadata folder, but it doesn't solve the issue; tried reinstalling the game on the same hard drive where the documents folder is located; tried running as admin, no success; and tried different windows profile. Anybody have any solution to this?
Find a pirate version of the game that isn't broken?

Raskens

Learned
Patron
Find a pirate version of the game that isn't broken?

I've tried that. Are you sure that this has something with pirated games? Looking at the forums it seems to have been an issue with legit copies including the steam version.

tony3290

Literate
Such an underrated game in my opinion. It was rough around the edges, sure, but there are not many games where there were so many permutations to how the story could play out based on your decisions.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
I've tried that. Are you sure that this has something with pirated games? Looking at the forums it seems to have been an issue with legit copies including the steam version.
You should just buy a physical copy, pretty sure you can get it for cents on Amazon. It's worth it, I have a copy of my own and the manual has a foreword from Avellone (RIP).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's worth it, I have a copy of my own and the manual has a foreword from Avellone (RIP).

What, you mean the "Welcome to Alpha Protocol" introduction that lies about how you can use stealth and persuasion to solve all your problems?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
What, you mean the "Welcome to Alpha Protocol" introduction that lies about how you can use stealth and persuasion to solve all your problems?
There's actually two manuals in my DVD case, the regular manual and one called the Field Guide. I just checked Mobygames and apparently the latter is only included in the UK edition, for whatever reason. Got my copy from Amazon.co.uk without knowing this, so I apparently lucked out.

Here's the foreword, in any case.

Choice is an important part of an RPG - in the case of Alpha Protocol, the consequences are equally important.

And the choices are many. There's no one way to build your character, no one weapon superior to another, and even in the case of people you encounter during your mission, you'll find friendship and hatred can have different benefits. Out in the field, you may need additional intel to consult when approaching a mission - or if you're hiding in a corner of an embassy, waiting for the right moment to sneak past a guard. Or if the guard's been warned, and the bullets are flying and you need the right weapon and fast.

That's what this manual is for. SEGA and Obsidian are pleased to provide this field guide to the weapons, skills, and abilities in Alpha Protocol to help you reach your objective - consult it when building your character, use it as a roadmap for what weapons, skills, and abilities to employ in the field.

...and as a last reminder from a designer and fellow game player - be sure to use Thorton's Spatial Awareness, it can save your life many times over.

Freelancer Chris Avellone
Creative Director, Obsidian, Lead Designer, Alpha Protocol

Smerlus

Educated
In the Obsidian discord I mention Perfect Dark Protocol once in a while to drop hints.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom