Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anno 1800

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been told Anno 1800 is the most complex out of all of them, so I'm not sure where this talk of dumbing down is coming from.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I've been told Anno 1800 is the most complex out of all of them, so I'm not sure where this talk of dumbing down is coming from.
Basically the final entry in the series started by Anno 1404. Nu-Anno games are very similar, and this one has everything from the previous ones.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Feature-wise 2070 was the most complex for a long time, with an entire metagame layer (helping individual factions, getting XP and rewards from them) sitting on top of the base production chain management. Plus a bunch of other features like scenarios, skirmishes, upgrading your platforms etc.

Anno 2205 was stripped of all this, it was a very barebones game when it came out plus it was way more macro then previous games and people missed little carts and people milling around.

Anno 1800 is an amalgam, basically the "best of" the previous games, but it lacked the metagame layer too and initially even scenarios. It was pretty stripped down on release too. They added both, kindda, only years later. I still prefer 2070 and even 2205, I really loved the futuristic setting. Unfortunately I'm in the minority.

VerSacrum

Educated
Basically the final entry in the series started by Anno 1404. Nu-Anno games are very similar, and this one has everything from the previous ones.
"Nu-Anno" (with Related Designs as devs and not Max Design) started with 1701.

I'd greatly appreciate the series going back to its roots of being a 17th century colonialism sim, including its less savoury aspects, proper military units etc., but I suppose that won't happen.

Gerrard

Arcane
Anno 1
An Anno game set during the early Roman Empire would be neat.

We have an Anno game set during the early Roman Empire at home. It's called "Caesar".
And it's 30 years old. From what I've seen most people don't want yet-another-slightly-different-flavor-of-medieval game, and neither do I. The peak of Roman Empire's expansion with all the colonies set around Mediterranean Sea is a perfect stage for an Anno game.

A fantasy game would also be an interesting option, but then the "Anno [year]" title wouldn't make much sense, it would have to be some kind of a spinoff.

mondblut

Arcane
Anno 1

We have an Anno game set during the early Roman Empire at home. It's called "Caesar".
And it's 30 years old.

Only 17 for Caesar IV, and we all know the games stopped evolving a while before that date. I mean, it's only slightly older than nu-Fallout :smug:

From what I've seen most people don't want yet-another-slightly-different-flavor-of-medieval game, and neither do I.

As opposed to slightly-different-flavor-of-a-game-that-already-exists?

Gerrard

Arcane
Anno 1

And it's 30 years old.

Only 17 for Caesar IV, and we all know the games stopped evolving a while before that date. I mean, it's only slightly older than nu-Fallout :smug:

From what I've seen most people don't want yet-another-slightly-different-flavor-of-medieval game, and neither do I.

Was Caesar IV even any good? I haven't played it so I can't comment on how close it is gameplay wise to Anno.
I think it's a fair assumption that the next game will have some mechanics that were pretty much tested in the scenarios, seasons probably being the most likely one.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

They really need to come up with something at least partially novel now, by this point their formula is utterly played out, it needs freshening up badly.

Making the exact same game again but in Rome or Greece or Japan or some such would be the career ending mistake for this studio.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Speaking of Anno 1800, the complete edition or whatever they are calling it is 40 Euro. Is it worth it? How are the scenarios?

Gerrard

Arcane
How are the scenarios?
The scenarios have new game mechanics that do not exist in the normal game and objectives that revolve around them, plus new/modified buildings and items.
It's possible that the devs were using these to test new mechanics, like seasons, for the next game.

Gerrard

Arcane
is the game sjw ?
If you consider engineers being represented by a woman with incredibly annoying voice and demeanor that complains about being mistaken for an engineer's wife as "SJW", then yes.

Also
PUARaPS.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
is the game sjw ?
Sort of, but it's not insufferable about it.

It's definitely a long shot from back in Anno 1602, where the cotton harvest was done by Aunt Jemima.
Eh...there are stronk independent powerful beautiful wahmen NPCs that don't need no man but you can also play as a straight white male and colonize a bunch of places.

It's more like a 2010 old librul feminism than anything else.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
Ive been playing this last week and it is decently good to play. I was on 1404 for a bit which is also good and better in a few ways, at first I thought wtf 1404 is way better but getting into it, 1800 has double or triple the production chains which I do like.

One thing for sure is only buy the base game and then use this tool to unlock all dlcs:
https://github.com/acidicoala/UplayR1Unlocker

In my case, I guess during holiday sale, the base game was 20 cad and the 'complete' edition was 160 which is disgusting so definitely dont do anything like that. The unlocker works perfectly and requires no configuration just a single file swap.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Ubisoft has ridiculous pricing across the board. Typical French mentality. I don't think they properly understand capitalism.

Regardless, I do enjoy the fact that 1800 has so many production chains. That's really what sets it apart from other Annos.

Gerrard

Arcane
Look a few posts above, you could buy the complete version (not the one that also includes all the cosmetic packs) for $40 during winter sale.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pretty sure Ubisoft prices their shit to capture people with FOMO and then when they slash the hell out of their prices to sell more, that's basically their actual competitive pricing. If not, they should've gone belly up by now with the way their prices drop like rocks any time a sale comes up shortly after release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom