Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Another Poll] Let's gauge excitement levels for PoE's release

How excited are you about Pillars' imminent relase?

• Total voters

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I think it's pretty hard to deny the general feeling that PoE, despite how much you personally look forward to it, is an important release and that it is one that could shape the future of fantasy computer RPG's for years to come.

If you had to gauge your level of excitement or interest in the game, what would it be?

Gremius

Augur
Only slightly excited. I have a feeling it's going to be a let-down, but I'll still play it.
Definitely I'm going to be let down by music. Yeah, you can call me a music-fag (in terms of music I like more japanese approach, even if I don't like their games). Music for me is like 60% of game atmosphere. And Bell created music in vein of modern AAA-games. You just don't care about it. It's just a shitty ambient-ish background (or rapist to your ears, like that battle theme from beta) without melody or any feelings in it.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'm very excited, as much so as I am for underrail or AoD.

Despite many obvious flaws, I see it as a good base to grow the franchise, like BG2 generally improved on BG

Zeriel

Arcane
Looks pretty awful from where I'm sitting. Infinity Engine's charm had a metric fuckton to do with the D&D license, add in Sawyerism and this is Dragon Age: Inquisition tier for me.

I am really pumped for Torment 2, though.

Greatness

Cipher
Assuming it will be shit. Will torrent and hope to be proven wrong.

I've found that's the safest option as someone without much disposable income whose been burned too many times over the last couple decades by the masses of shitty games. This way I don't get my hopes up and don't end up wasting my money supporting lazy/incompetent developers.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think it's pretty hard to deny the general feeling that PoE, despite how much you personally look forward to it, is an important release and that it is one that could shape the future of fantasy computer RPG's for years to come.

It's a niche tactical party based nostalgiafaggotry that will shape diddly squat as far as the future of the genre is concerned.

Athelas

Arcane
It's a niche tactical party based nostalgiafaggotry that will shape diddly squat as far as the future of the genre is concerned.
computer RPG's
Unless you count console ports as computer RPG's, in which case you're right that it won't shape anything.

Greatness

Cipher
Well if it is super successful, like say Skyrim or Mass Effect numbers, then it could really shake up the whole publisher/developer relationship dynamic that everyone's become accustomed to. Sure there's already been a lot of relatively successful kickstarter games, but (as far as I'm aware, maybe I'm totally wrong) none of them were *huge* hits and none of them were from established developers of same renown as Obsidian.

In that respect it might change how future crpgs are thought of. Maybe if publishers see that it only takes a minuscule 4 million to make a successful rpg they will stop giving so much money to Bethesda/Bioware and then their games will crash and burn even worse than they already are.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Despite many obvious flaws, I see it as a good base to grow the franchise, like BG2 generally improved on BG

Completely agree.

I pretty much know it will be a good story, setting, characters and RPG mechanics. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Even though I am so fucking sick of generic fantasy. But I kind of like this setting.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I chose the top option because I knew no one would be that excited for the game. I think combat won't be its strongest point, but I don't give a fuck. It's an isometric party based rpg.

The rest will probably be great. I also want to meet my NPC say hello and then have nothing else to say. I will then proceed to kill him if he is as pointless as I think he will be. Seeing the Inn I pledged for was also a bit amusing.

Shevek

Arcane
Everything released thus far suggests the game will be worth the wait.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Definitely I'm going to be let down by music. Yeah, you can call me a music-fag (in terms of music I like more japanese approach, even if I don't like their games). Music for me is like 60% of game atmosphere. And Bell created music in vein of modern AAA-games. You just don't care about it. It's just a shitty ambient-ish background (or rapist to your ears, like that battle theme from beta) without melody or any feelings in it.
Yeah, I couldn't agree more. There was a thread where everyone trashed PoE's music and then Justin Bell came in and posted this:

bb98316a6a2bd36ebd446c48d81eb16d.png

He thinks it's okay that only 30% backers like his music, he thinks it's a solid success.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I agree about music being hugely important for game atmosphere, and unfortunately I believe this is an area that the game will fail in.

Jezal_k23

I'm hoping that experiencing the music in game will help with how it feels, and also that some of the tracks we haven't yet heard will stand out more. I actually heard very little of it so far.

Zeriel

Arcane
As I've said elsewhere on the codex, How can anyone not vote kingcomrade in every poll.

This is also my MO but in this case I feel the option is warranted even if I didn't always go KC or bust.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Kind of weird, was super pumped to begin with then the beta combat and "balance" really put me off, but after Sawyer's video I saw combat much more improved and gasp! Even balanced...
It is not like the release of Dark Souls were I took the day off and played like 12 hours straight but yeah now I am looking forward to it
Also there are fags...combat fags story fags larp fags but music fags? the fuck out of here you can manualy add the IWD soundtrack and whack off to that ffs

Shannow

Waster of Time
I check this subforum every once in a while. So I must be looking forward to it. Right?

Inb4: "You only hope it'll be so shitty that you have further amunition against OE. You're a hater!"
To which I'd reply: "OE has a thoroughly mediocre track record and DS3 is all the amunition against OE anyone could ever dream of (in their worst nightmares). I'm genuinely interested what comes out if OE produce a game in a genre that I should (at least theoretically) like."

made

Arcane
He thinks it's okay that only 30% backers like his music, he thinks it's a solid success.
Guy's probably right though. Audio doesn't get nearly as much attention as graphics. Good chunk of players probably mutes the music in games anyway and listens to skrillex or w/e instead.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Guy's probably right though. Audio doesn't get nearly as much attention as graphics. Good chunk of players probably mutes the music in games anyway and listens to skrillex or w/e instead.
In RTS/FPS games maybe, not in RPGs, jesus christ.

Starwars

Arcane
I'm liking the music so far, bar that combat track that plays in the BB. I kinda wonder how much of it will be played by live musicians, wish they could talk about that a bit. Main thing that spoke against the tracks I've heard was the horrible synth sounds so I'm hoping that will go away.
Tthe IE games soundtracks are loaded to hell and back with nostalgia. I like 'em quite a bit, but they're waaaay overrated. They've grown extremely iconic but come on... I'm listening to the BG main theme atm and it's almost lol-worthy.
Some of the tracks are really nice though. Exploring the Plains is especially nostalgia-ridden and "adventurous" but my god does it get fucking old when you play the game.

I'm pretty damn excited for the game. I've been more excited by games in the past but it's been a long while since I wanted to get my hands on a game as badly as with PoE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom