Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Any good Civ 5 mods out there?

uaciaut

Augur
Wasn't aware how many re-balancing/custom shit this game had till i started looking into it. Any recommendations here?

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
IMO the community balance patch is 'best', but even then Civ 5 is still waaay inferior to any previous vanilla Civ.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
For Multiplayer most people who give a damn play with NQmod and hellblazers Mappack, you can get both at https://www.reddit.com/r/nqmod/
It's mostly balance changes to certain unique units/abilities/buildings and policy trees have been changed greatly compared to Brave New World.

There's a NQmod steamgroup too where a decent amount of lobbies are being hosted, no quitting allowed unless you lost your capital or everyone in the game agrees that you are irrelevant to the outcome of the game.

uaciaut

Augur
IMO the community balance patch is 'best', but even then Civ 5 is still waaay inferior to any previous vanilla Civ.

By community balance patch you mean this, right: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=528034 ?

Civ 5 is p much my first Civ, the general feeling i got from reading around is that it's the most streamlined but it's not really horrible if you have all DLC, i thought mods would simply improve on its weak points and turn it into a good game on its own.

I take it i should give Civ 4 a go as well, i'll come back asking for mod recommendations for it soon.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Problem with Civ 5 is that its core gameplay elements just don't work together at all. The 1 unit per tile vs. building an empire, the multiple tech trees, the arbitrary ai... That isn't somethin you can fix with a few sophisticated mods and addons. It's like the designers didn't understand their own game.
It might be fun for one or two playthroughs on low difficulty to tickle your instant gratification nerve, but in the long run, or if you have played previous installments, its shortcomings become painfully obvious.
Apart from the really good presentation, I can't think of a single reason why Civ V would be your first choice.
Just get C4 + BTS + BUG mod and watch someone like Sullla to get the gist, my 2 cent.

baturinsky

Arcane

By community balance patch you mean this, right: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=528034 ?

Civ 5 is p much my first Civ, the general feeling i got from reading around is that it's the most streamlined but it's not really horrible if you have all DLC, i thought mods would simply improve on its weak points and turn it into a good game on its own.

I take it i should give Civ 4 a go as well, i'll come back asking for mod recommendations for it soon.

Fall from Heaven or one of it's derivatives. I don't know which is the best/most popular now.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=569944

Zzz

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Fall from Heaven or one of it's derivatives. I don't know which is the best/most popular now.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=569944
There was a Fall from Heaven thread here a few months ago: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...heaven-thread-civ-4-mod-2016-edition™.107443/

rezaf

Cipher
It might be fun for one or two playthroughs on low difficulty to tickle your instant gratification nerve, but in the long run, or if you have played previous installments, its shortcomings become painfully obvious.
Apart from the really good presentation, I can't think of a single reason why Civ V would be your first choice.

While I agree with you completely, the unfortunate truth is that a majority of gamers don't.
They put hundreds or even thousands of hours into this game and praise it to the high heavens.
And especially the part about difficulty is objectively wrong.
The AI is so horrible at playing the game (after a long chain of improvements, earlier it played like a chimp with his arms tied behind his back) that everybody and their dogs are playing on King difficulty at least and still beating the game with relative ease.

Now, I don't begrudge anyone with having fun with games that wouldn't be fun to me, but it's of course very sad for a long time Civ fan for this to happen, because the success of the approach will mean the series will stick to the new gods, so to speak - as already evident by looking at the Civ6 previews.

Hitoshura

Educated
Yeah, I think that's one important aspect to reactions to negative comments on games with "if you don't like it, don't play it" is that they it to understand that if a bad game have a very good success business wise, which is the case for Civ 5 from what I understand, not only the new game will more closely follow 5 than 4 but also smaller 4X developers will more likely attempt to clone the more "successful" 5th than the 4th one.

While I couldn't care less what people read or listen to music wise, it's more of a problem with video games as they take considerably more time and effort to develop so it's harder for an outsider with a great idea to step in unlike literature and music. What other people plays *do* have a significant impact on the future games that will be produced.

To put my wallet on what I like has significant less power when you have millions of consumers. Bitching on forums seems to be the only viable communication channel, hoping that the devs of the games come aware about the negative feedback that otherwise didn't reach them from the suits.

rezaf

Cipher
YBitching on forums seems to be the only viable communication channel, hoping that the devs of the games come aware about the negative feedback that otherwise didn't reach them from the suits.

I don't think all the bitching in the world won't change a thing, unfortunately, as money talks way, way louder, even directly to the developers. To phrase it differently, if something designed in a specific way sells like hotcakes, it can't be bad.
CivIV didn't sell bad either, and we have much reliable numbers because much of these sales took place in a time where they couldn't be tracked with Steam, but I think it's safe to assume Civ5 sold better.

And it's no wonder, either. I keep using the phrase "Civ5 is a civ game for people that don't (really) like Civ games (anymore)". It's a very "gamey" game that's way easier to just derp around in for a couple of turns without investing too much effort.
Minor errors you might make here don't sink your game as they might have done in Civ4 (at least on higher difficulties) since the Civ5 AI is so horrible at playing the game.
And the changes that were required to make 1UPT work at all in a global strategy game (less cities, less production, fewer units) allow for a quicker playing pace as well...

To me, a huge indicator is what this thread is about - the major mods.
Look at Civ4's modding community and the sheer amount of total conversions it developed.
And what's there for Civ5? Almost nothing of note.
The SDK has been out for years (after they released it years later than they had promised to), so what's stopping people?
I think the majority of Civ5 players are those "let's derp around for a few hours" players.
The REAL fans, that loved to minmax their play, explore the possibilities, disassemble the game mechanics to reassemble them in different ways, because they really really liked Civ, those guys don't play/like Civ5. So no mods are made, because there are too few people REALLY invested in Civ5.
But maybe that's all a conspiracy theory. Does someone have a better explanation?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If anyone cares for a free key for base Civ V, I have one available - leftover from a bundle.

- Is there a thread somewhere for these, I might have some other keys as well that someone would perhaps appreciate?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom