Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good M&B: Warband mods?

Heresiarch

Prophet
Well, right now there seems to be no good games to enjoy - the only game I'm truly waiting for is the English version ofTactics Ogre: Wheel of Fate for PSP but it's coming out one month later - so I think might try a bit of Warband. Is it better than the orignal M&B?

Any good mods to recommend? Magic or realistic is fine.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
The Diplomacy mod is good, definitely makes the late game a bit less banal. Haven't experimented with any others, vanilla Warband has subtle but substantial improvements that make me enjoy it a lot more than the original.

Tycn

Savant
Warband is much better. Most important change for me is that attacking/blocking is based on mouse movement rather than camera direction making the combat feel far smoother.

I'd go with the Floris Mod Pack for close to vanilla gameplay. Includes a lot of content (including Diplomacy) which significantly increases the longevity. I'd disable the new combat animations though since they ruin your manual blocking.

As for total conversions,Prophecy of Pendor is by far the best. There is also a Dark Ages mod that I hear is fairly polished. There are a few other ambitious mods but I don't think any of them are at a reasonable level of completion. Shame, I'd much prefer a medieval setting to the faux medieval vanilla.

mondblut

Arcane
Brytenwalda is p.good.

There is also that weird mod called "Eagle and radiant cross" adding a bunch of new cultures ranging from wannabe 17 century Sweden to wannabe 19 century Prussia to wannabe Papacy with badass warhammerish inquisitors. Sounds like anime faggotry, but there *is* something amusing about Kaiser's dragoons armed with rifles charging into ultraheavy knights armed with huge ass warhammers.

Flanged

Scholar
Tycn said:
As for total conversions,Prophecy of Pendor is by far the best.

It really is. The new sounds somehow give the game a very different feel from Native, and the combat feels a lot more fluid as well (I don't know if combat has even been modded, but it just seems improved). The guy who does the voices for the Ravenstern Lords sounds drunk, though, 'cos I was. :lol:

Brytenwalda is ace as well. The new scenes by Adorno are something to behold, very authentic for the era, and fun to just hang around in, as well as fight over. Plenty of pics here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/ ... 583.0.html

Haven't played any others for Warband yet.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
And the music (except the bagpipe track) in PoP is so great, too.

:mca:

Still need to get some more Qualis gems - kinda lame how that Noldor merchant in Laria won't open his store without one even if you have high rep, and the merchant in Elacrai only has beat-up crappy versions of the Noldor weapons/armor.

Phelot

Arcane
Did they ever get that Polished Landscapes mod to work with Warband? That shit is impressive.

Flanged

Scholar
phelot said:
Did they ever get that Polished Landscapes mod to work with Warband? That shit is impressive.

Apparently if you download Brytenwalda from here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/ ... 886.0.html

then you can download the Polished Landscapes add-on thing from here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/ ... 886.0.html

Then...
"Install: -Unzip this file, open folder Brytenwalda Landscapes and copy all in your Brytenwalda mod folder."

And you get this:

brytpoli2.jpg

brytpoli11.jpg

Fuck Yeah! I'm trying it now. Not sure if they've added collision meshes to the trees yet, which was one of the problems with Polished Landscapes. People and missiles could go straight through them.

It is for Warband though.

Phelot

Arcane
Huh. How about that. Well, thanks for the answer.

As for collision, I'd almost expect them to keep it out since the forests are so dense with PL. Kind of dumb, but whatever I guess

JrK

Prophet
Tycn said:
I'd go with the Floris Mod Pack for close to vanilla gameplay. Includes a lot of content (including Diplomacy) which significantly increases the longevity. I'd disable the new combat animations though since they ruin your manual blocking.

Could you elaborate on the bolded part? What's wrong?

Multi-headed Cow

Misterhamper said:
EDIT: There is also Floris Mod Pack - combining 2 gigs of mods
Mod pack? MOD PACK!? *Begins breathing heavily and clenching/unclenching fists*

JrK

Prophet
Tycn said:
Well, ruin mine.

The new animations look nicer but if you've learned to block in vanilla (or intend to) they can get a bit confusing. Arm position doesn't correspond to attack direction in the same way it does in vanilla so learning one of them might screw you over for the other.

I suppose that is a problem if you use the fully manual blocking. I was mostly concerned with animations preventing you from attacking/defending (like Gothic 3 being attacked by animals).

Flanged

Scholar
phelot said:
Huh. How about that. Well, thanks for the answer.

As for collision, I'd almost expect them to keep it out since the forests are so dense with PL. Kind of dumb, but whatever I guess

New version of Brytenwalda just came out on the 7th. I hope to God they have reduced the speed of bandit and pirate parties, 'cos they make the early game miserable. I also had a bug where pirates abducted me onto a ship after beating me in battle, and after I "escaped" I somehow owned the ship. Hope these bugs are fuxed in new version.

The polished Landscape trees definitely have collision meshes now, but some of them are floating. It still looks great on randomised battle maps, and pretty beautiful in the new towns.

Don't know if the new release is compatible with Polished Landscapes yet - downloading it now, so I'll check.

EDIT: New version can be got here: http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2115

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Brytenwalda also has some 'interesting' design decisions, like the morale and honor hit EVERY time you go to the salt mine menu; even if you do nothing there at all.

And why for the love of all that is unholy won't they get someone to fix the broken english? I mean yeah the mod creators aren't native speakers (or even good speakers, judging by the forum), and that's fine, but why not get some help and sort it all out?

Flanged

Scholar
Don't know, to be honest. They've got at least one guy on the team who writes good English, but... he doesn't get a lot of work.

It's a shame, 'cos it's a great mod.

"Brytenwalda also has some 'interesting' design decisions, like the morale and honor hit EVERY time you go to the salt mine menu; even if you do nothing there at all. "

Maybe... maybe it's because the mines use slave labor? But you can still sell slaves with no hit to either. Must be a bug. Modding is teh hard.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Flanged said:
Maybe... maybe it's because the mines use slave labor? But you can still sell slaves with no hit to either. Must be a bug. Modding is teh hard.

Yeah I understand the reasoning, it's just the implementation that sucks. Probably a limitation of the game, but I'd rather they disable it altogether if they can't get it working right.

kasmas

Educated
PoP is by far the best mod mostly(for me) because they are trying to fix mounted combat and 100% hit rates of NPC archers.
Iit is a mod for veteran players tho.

Polished landscapes is a nice mod but it comes with 2 very big problems:

1.Horses stuck all the time on fallen trees and bushes
2.In some areas vegetation is so lush that you can not see shit, not even the guy hacking your face.

Warband is a big letdown for players who like to fight on horse.

Flanged

Scholar
kasmas said:
Warband is a big letdown for players who like to fight on horse.

Warband was a letdown to me in melee as well. I realise the slower movement is more realistic, but it just doesn't feel right. It's like everybody in Calradia got arthritis overnight, and you never really get the impression that you've delivered a hard hit.

Do your swings and thrusts get faster as you raise agility or weapon skills now?
That would make sense, but it still makes stabbing a guy with a pitchfork in the early game feel totally effectless.

Pendor is by far the best...but some of those 'Hero' armies are pains in the ass. Especially the elves. FUCK YOU NOLDOR!

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah but fortunately you can always lure them to fight each other - just got Wolfbode after he got his ass kicked by a jatu army and was down to like 50 non-wounded fighters. :D

Heresiarch

Prophet
I've played online for a day (cRPG battle servers) and I just got slaughtered. 37 deaths and 4 kills. I just can't seem to touch anyone, and whenever someone touches me I'm dead. My ping is 200+ but it didn't bother me even when I was playing counterstrike or wow.

Tycn

Savant
That's because you're playing cRPG, which consists of being slaughtered as a helpless peasant until you've leeched enough exp to slaughter other peasants. Not to mention ping is even more important than in an FPS, since timing is critical. 200 is pretty much unplayable in melee.

I'd recommend playing on some local vanilla servers. DM/TDM or duels preferably since battle is a bit slow. It's definitely one of the harder to learn multiplayer games, though.

Flanged

Scholar
Just to let folk know, been playing the new Brytenwalda for about a day and it's a big improvement over the last one. Polished Landscapes still works with it, and the ludicrous speed of bandit parties has been reduced a lot - you could technically play as a cowardly merchant now, with a fast enough horse and a few guys in case you get caught. Bandits technically CAN be outrun now, if you're careful.

Some villages have floating houses, possibly due to Polished landscapes, but most village tasks can be done from the menu. Would suck to get a floating village as a fief though.

The often spectacular new castles and towns make up fot it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom