Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Any good simultaneous turn based games out there?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Other than Frozen Synapse and the Combat Mission series, in struggling to find any.

I'm ideally looking for some kind of Wargame, where you can have a meaningful battle with a relatively low number of units (think 3-10 per side). Turn based orders, simultaneous execution. A scenario editor and an ai that isn't too dense would be a huge boon.

I guess I'm basically looking for a combat mission game that isn't combat mission. :P

Any suggestions?

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Doors kickers might fit into that category, but it's real time with pause, I think.

laclongquan

Arcane
UFO Afterlight is slightly similar to your request.

In combat, it's real time with pause. You can stack your orders during pause and maximum 7 combatants will perform 7 separate set of order in real time.

Unit A: move to Rock B, set a mine in front of, then move back to Rock A, get shotgun out and ready.
Unit B: move to behind Rock B so that it hide you from mine's blast, ready your captured Beastman Cannon in a crouch position (slightly harder to hit, better accuracy but slightly slower to act).
Unit C: Run ahead toward estimated enemy position farther than ROck B, and return when you recognize hostile (this one is need real time control).
Unit D to G: ready your scoped sniper rifle at Rock A.

After turn back to real time, you only have to monitor Unit C, change course when needed, and command to turn back after identify hostile.

Formation of defense position, with less use of mine, and more use of sniper guns.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Door kickers is fun, but RTWP is not what I'm looking for. I was hoping to make some LP where people could give orders to a limited # of units (say, 5-6), then run a turn. Post the new map, get orders for surviving units, repeat until game over. Combat Mission is pretty much perfect for this, but too espensive for my tastes. I was considering the new graviteam tactics game, but I'm not sure how well it'll do if you only give orders to units every X minutes.

(actually, this was my source of inspiration and what I hoped to emulate: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/15/the-flare-path-welcomes-combative-commenters/ )

Will have a look at UFO Afterlight, but I'm thinking missions may take too many turns to make fo ran interesting LP.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Frozen Synapse's system is virtually identical to that of Laser Squad Nemesis, but I'm not sure if that game can still be played in its current state.

laclongquan

Arcane
Door kickers is fun, but RTWP is not what I'm looking for. I was hoping to make some LP where people could give orders to a limited # of units (say, 5-6), then run a turn. Post the new map, get orders for surviving units, repeat until game over. Combat Mission is pretty much perfect for this, but too espensive for my tastes. I was considering the new graviteam tactics game, but I'm not sure how well it'll do if you only give orders to units every X minutes.

(actually, this was my source of inspiration and what I hoped to emulate: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/15/the-flare-path-welcomes-combative-commenters/ )

Will have a look at UFO Afterlight, but I'm thinking missions may take too many turns to make fo ran interesting LP.
Depend on how you run it. Afterlight can be surprising fast and heavy if you consciously choose to do so.

Earlier runs I use ambushes and room defense a lot. But this Impossible run I use run and mine, and only a few ambushes. Run and gun is seldom. It make for fast battles.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Ooooh! That looks almost *exactly* like what I was after! :salute:

Is it simultaneous turns? A quick skim of the features while pooping was inconclusive.

Mustawd

More of a large scale strategy game with simultaneous turns if anyone else is interested:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/306630/

Civil War 2 is the definitive grand strategy game of the period. It is a turn based regional game with an emphasis on playability and historical accuracy. It is built on the renowned AGE game engine, with a modern and intuitive interface that makes it easy to learn yet hard to master.

This historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

Last edited by a moderator:

ColCol

Arcane
Frozen Synapse's system is virtually identical to that of Laser Squad Nemesis, but I'm not sure if that game can still be played in its current state.

In what sense? Last time I tried it laser squad single player worked on my windows 7 pc.

Ooooh! That looks almost *exactly* like what I was after! :salute:

Is it simultaneous turns? A quick skim of the features while pooping was inconclusive.

panzer command ostfront was very fun, played it for a long time. Has randomized missions that can go on for ever and your battle-group gains experience and medals and special abilities, so it is meaningful when you lose people. The scripted campaigns were pretty good as well. Not sure what I would think of the graphics nowadays since it has been a number of years since I played, but I personally liked the system and rules much better than combat mission because it is based on table top rules instead of trying to calculate each shot with a physics engine like combat mission. I think the diced based rules actually work much better for a simulation and to me make a more understandable and fun game.

Also liked the group action mechanics better, they seemed more 'realistic' than the individually assigned orders in combat mission. You can give individual orders in pamzer command as well, but initial orders are given to sections or groups most of the time (llike a section of 3-5 tanks), or a group of infantry split into 3 squads..anyway, I really enjoyed the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom