Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any opinions on Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein?

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
Good find, I will definitely be getting this.

Anyone try the Warhammer 40k mod yet? I think itsa pretty cool change from the standard unit types, the gameplay is the same though. It is fun though as the 40k minis game would be a perfect translation to the CC game engine.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I hope next will be a remake of of CC2 A Bridge Too Far, maybe i would get that. I had the original CC4 and I didn't like it. The differences were subtle but crucial.

Is there a demo? If not: do they think I will get a remake of a 10 year old game I already had - and didn't like - without even trying?

Burning Bridges

but buccaroobonzai, please post your experiences. Especially interested if it runs in 1280*1024.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
GlobalExplorer said:
Is there a demo? If not: do they think I will get a remake of a 10 year old game I already had - and didn't like - without even trying?

They probably are not specifically aiming for you. The game really seems targeted at the old cc fanbase, just like Cross of Iron was.

Anyway, after lurking their forum and reading what the cc fans think of it, it does look worth my while. The ai is claimed to be much improved both on the attack and defense. Although the defensive ai is as usual a bit better. Tanks seem to work a lot better because of improved pathfinding. Combat is a bit more brutal, with teams in buildings being particulary hard to dislodge. The large strategic map offers lots of depth. Graphics are mostly the same, allthough a lot of work went into detail like camouflage and the different markings. Nobody really likes the sound department. Guns and engines are okay, but voice acting is rather bland. Shame really as the older cc's had great voice acting and the Cross of Iron's voices were awesome.

All in all it looks like the old fanbase really likes it, so I'll probably get it. I always had a softspot for these games. Lets hope they'll do a remake of cc2 next. The battle for Arnhem has always been one of my favs.

Korgan

Arbiter
buccaroobonzai said:
Anyone try the Warhammer 40k mod yet? I think itsa pretty cool change from the standard unit types, the gameplay is the same though. It is fun though as the 40k minis game would be a perfect translation to the CC game engine.
LINK NAO

Burning Bridges

Trash said:
They probably are not specifically aiming for you. The game really seems targeted at the old cc fanbase, just like Cross of Iron was.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I bought CC2 in 1997, CC4 three years later, and it was a major dissapointment.

Trash said:
Shame really as the older cc's had great voice acting and the Cross of Iron's voices were awesome.

CC2 had great voices (even the poles had correct accented english), however in CC4 it sounded like in some stupid Hollywood movie.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
Korgan said:
buccaroobonzai said:
LINK NAO

The Warhammer 40k mod can be found at the Close Combat Series website. Search the mods under CC5 Normandy.
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Excellent. I just brought out my Invasion Normandy CD and I'm downloading the Warhammer mod right now.

Should be interesting. Thanks.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
Sovard said:
Excellent. I just brought out my Invasion Normandy CD and I'm downloading the Warhammer mod right now.

Be sure to follow the directions very carefully on installing the 40k mod. I thought I did, but I had a problem with it loading the new maps. I was only able to play the game using 40k units & rules, but with only the maps from Normandy. It would not load the new sci-fi terrain maps. I played this over a year ago so I don't have all the details, but you could search some threads on the mod on their forums at Closecombatseries and find out the right way to get the new maps going.

Tag

Novice
How is the AI? Can it do anything more than randomly moving units around?

A question for CC playing public: is it just me, or do others think that Fallschirmjaeger troops repeatedly outperformed US AB troops by a long shot?
(CC gamewise)

...of course, in certain situations that is partly explainable by greatly superior weaponry of FJ troops, such as FG 42's (or FJ?) , MG 42's, Panzerfausts, and later, StG 44's, but still FJ troops always seemed more reliable as well.

Mad_Dog

Liturgist
buccaroobonzai said:
Sovard said:

Be sure to follow the directions very carefully on installing the 40k mod. I thought I did, but I had a problem with it loading the new maps. I was only able to play the game using 40k units & rules, but with only the maps from Normandy. It would not load the new sci-fi terrain maps. I played this over a year ago so I don't have all the details, but you could search some threads on the mod on their forums at Closecombatseries and find out the right way to get the new maps going.

Invest in a good uninstall program and registry cleaner before you install/uninstall a bunch of mods, because the mod maanager program creates a lot of 'temp' files that can permanently alter your CCV installation. I had Italian weapons for my Easy Company and all sorts of other strange things going on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom