Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anybody heard of Seed?

Balor

Arcane
http://www.seedthegame.com/features.php
Sounds like a 'Roleplayer's MMORPG'. A few quite interesting concepts.
Not that I'll be able to play it (or any MMO) in remotely near future, yet it does sound interesting... if 'comicbook' approach is rather strange, if you ask me.

Section8

Cipher
Alex K. Uth said:
A bit of ranting first: IMO, an important and fundamental concept of roleplaying is the choice, what you DO as a character. When I can express my character through actual gameplay - how I do stuff, if I do stuff, who I do it for - AND my choices have consequences, THAT'S where I think roleplaying gets interesting. Applying this to Seed, stories have to offer interesting choices, respect my choices and throw me interesting consequences, no matter what I choose. At least that is the vision.
Alex K. Uth said:
]An interesting point about quests is how and why they're offered. In Seed, the small stories trigger when something happens in-game, something that the players have started or are responsible for. It's all about actions and consequences again.
Alex K. Uth said:
]Example of player-triggered story:

You heard that Borm, an NPC administrator in ringlab alpha, is a bit of a pushover. It's late, your ring is waiting for those grid test results, so you decide to try threatening him into giving you quick priority access. It seems to work, and you make it to the ring meeting with test results in hand. You left Borm in a really bad mood, however, and his personality profile calls for revenge. Borm 'links around until he finds a PC friend willing and able to help out. The week after your ring is assaulted by a barrage of PC poll attacks. You also discover that all priority access with another admin has been mysteriously revoked - she suddenly doesn't seem to like you. Seems Borm had a larger network than you thought. Now what to do?

An example of a story triggering on an in-game event or situation:

For some time, damages have been spreading in the loading bays. Seems nobody has the time or energy to handle the repair jobs. Ruger, an NPC with a specific interest in how well his environment works, launches one or more templates based on the amount of damage. He starts 'linking his PC friends and bugging them about it. He tours the location urging people to get their hands out of their pockets. He tries to get repair crews to handle it. He makes sour comments about how everything's going to pieces. He won't shut up or leave it alone until something is done, and if you burn him favor-wise, he'll make sure to send trouble your way.

Well, their heart is certainly in the right place. Emergent quests based on shifting world and NPC dynamics sounds promising enough to warrant a beta sign up. It's piqued my curiosity.

Balor

Arcane
Glad to be of help, heh.
Perhaps now their beta-test participants will read two-digit numbers, with my shameless PR, he-he-he.
I hope they'll be successful... yet, I also hope they don't have high hopes, too (oh, the tautology!).
I can emagine WoW players reading:
WTF? No combat and phat l00t? Fuck it!

Section8

Cipher
I spent a while reading the forums, and here's another thing that struck me as amusing:

some guy said:
What are you going to do on your first day of Seed?
Lead Programmer said:
You're going to experience your first total server crash, and getting your first apology mail. :D

In any case, it sounds somewhat like "A Tale In The Desert" which held my interest for a while, but the player numbers for my timezone meant social interaction was pretty limited for me. Let's hope Seed attracts enough players to make the beta interesting.

dunduks

Liturgist
This one sounds really interesting, guess I'll give it a spin.

Section8

Cipher
Well, I'm following this one pretty closely, and aside from the fact we don't really know what the basic "bread and butter" gameplay is like, it's sounding exceedly promising.

Plus, the devs are pretty fucking down to earth.

HateTank said:
As a graphics artist, I can definetely see what you mean - smooth is nice. I've passed Xmentor's workstation on several occasions, and commenting on how nice it looks with AA (I don't run it myself either - don't even know if I can).*
But as he correctly says : Qube does not support it, so it would not be fair to those (probably many) for whom AA will not be posible, to show screens with AA. It seems a bit dishonest to me - kinda like when Microsoft ran a game demo on a couple of PowerMac's, and claiming it was in-game on the Xbox360, even though the thing was nowhere near finished. And Sony pulled a similar stunt with P3. That's just rotten tomatoes.

* nVidia cards can use their control panel to enforce FSAA in games that don't natively support it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom