Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone actually played through the SP and MP Mass Effect 3 demo?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Because I'm quite interested to see wether or not ME3 will go the way of DA2. EA usually sucks the life out of a company they aqcuire within one or two games but with DA2 I thought they really outdid themselves. So, anyone tried it?

MisterStone

Arcane
Sorry bro, I got to the point in the demo where it was teaching me how to hide behind cover and shoot at badguys running around in a circle, said "fuck this shit," and quit.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I played the demo and what little I could gather (it was only 2 combat sequences) it doesn't seem much different from ME2. Which is good.

Stinger

Arcane
My friend got me to try it out. Not keen on Origin so I uninstalled it after but from what I played: SP demo was irritatingly linear. The kid dying had me laughing out loud, I played an Adept and managed to run for a while throwing biotics at everyone before a few shots forced me to sit behind cover so it's not as bad as ME2's ridiculous levels of popamole but still pretty tedious. Spacebar being used for virtually every command is fucking annoying- never use the Awesome button again, Bioware.

Dialogue meant shit all as usual but in this case it was particularly offensive in terms of just how little there was in terms of difference between the two dialogue options. Getting Paragon and Renegade points for the most banal things (again, moreso than before) was retarded.

They got rid of minigames which I suppose is a good thing but instead you have to stand around and wait for a bar to automatically fill. This kind of thing is just filler now and a massive waste of time.

The writing never got to the derp levels of Derp Age 2 and I wanna be a Dragon and "Life is always a catch!" but it was still pretty bad.

Multiplayer was actually ok, I got bored of it pretty quickly but those first two playthroughs as a Vanguard blasting around and killing hordes of enemies with my friends was actually pretty fun. I'd say it's the only enjoyable aspect of the demo.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
So, much like ME2 as far as you can see? Combat areas as obvious as before? I loved walking in an area and know an encounter was coming up because obviously placed cover™ was suddenly appearing.

Renegen

Arcane
Anus_Pounder has done nothing for the past week except play the ME3 demo.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
untitled1jijpwbakm2.png

Yeah. Yeah, I know, decline etc. :(
But atleast I am not the one who has to pay for it. :smug:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
90 euros. Money well spent. :roll:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The gift/money must come from somebody? :D
I honestly don't judge though. I bought Settlers 7 for full price on steam. Worst purchase ever.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
No I haven't. I have been playing BF3 however. Where did all these fucking hackers come from?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
So, much like ME2 as far as you can see? Combat areas as obvious as before? I loved walking in an area and know an encounter was coming up because obviously placed cover™ was suddenly appearing.
In the demo there wasn't any cover popping up. Otoh there wasn't any in most missions in ME2 as well. Gameplay-wise it didn't seem worse than ME2, I just hope the dialogues aren't representative of the whole game. Meaningful conversations like
Shepard : Kaidan.
Alenko: Shepard.
James: You know the commander?
Alenko: I used to.

- masterfully presented in emotionally-engaging cutscenes. A child just has died. It's appropriate to weep now.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Many thanks though, as said I am not the one who pays for it, I am glad I can pop some moles with my brother. ;)
Interesting. 2 days ago I preordered the game for 62€ on Alternate, now it's gone. Eh, vielleicht hatten die nur eine begrenzte Anzahl. Oder der Preis war zu billig (aus Versehen).
Versuch das:
http://www.computeruniverse.net/products/90423920/mass-effect-3-n7-collectors.asp?agent=619
Ist noch billiger (wegen weniger Versandkosten als bei Alternate)

Achilles

Arcane
Everything I've seen so far points to another ME2-like experience, so I don't feel any sort of burning desire to play it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah. Yeah, I know, decline etc. :(
But atleast I am not the one who has to pay for it. :smug:

Ich empfinde es als meine Pflicht, dich darauf aufmerksam zu machen, dass das selbe Produkt bei Alternate.de nur 62€ kostet.

untitled1xguer.png

Many thanks though, as said I am not the one who pays for it, I am glad I can pop some moles with my brother. ;)
Add me on origins if you ever come on after 6th :)

'farkov' is my origin nick.

Stakhanov

Augur
If Mass Effect 1 was the slightly ponderous science-fiction noir novel, and Mass Effect 2 was the TV-like series of character sketches, Mass Effect 3 is the big derpy Cloverfield Hollywood film, replete with Inception horns, important-sounding yet empty dialogue, and emotive music meant to give the scenes weight they haven't earned. Oh my god they killed Earth!

The first demo mission is a Call of Duty-style follow Captain Price/Anderson as Earth gets ripped apart by reapers with lots of hand-holding, epic events such as buildings falling apart and holding out against impossible odds until extraction arrives. The second mission has you retrieve some Krogan females from the Salarian planet. That is, until Cerberus attacks, who are now the faceless enemy. Wrex, Garrus, Ashley, and Liara also make their triumphic return. So basically if ME2 didn't happen it wouldn't have effected ME3 much at all? More enemies with slightly better AI are thrown at you, but the combat lacks weight and challenge, the weapons are as unsatisfying to shoot as ever, and the single corridor of ME2 has become two slightly branched corridors so you can flank the enemy.

Tl;dr the singleplayer demo missions are pretty shit. I tried out the MP briefly: it allows you to farm credits to unlock characters, single-use items, weapon upgrades, etc. You can level up a Male Human, Male Female, Krogan, and Turian with all of the different classes so the player can aspie over a fairly bsb, uninspired Horde mode. I might play it a bit more to see how the levelling works but since Bioware can't even do singleplayer cover shooting there isn't much to see in the MP.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
If Mass Effect 1 was the slightly ponderous science-fiction noir novel, and Mass Effect 2 was the TV-like series of character sketches, Mass Effect 3 is the big derpy Cloverfield Hollywood film, replete with Inception horns, important-sounding yet empty dialogue, and emotive music meant to give the scenes weight they haven't earned. Oh my god they killed Earth!

Doesn't keep half the codex from preordering this piece of shit though. Or at least that's the impression you get when you skim over the different ME3 threads. Sometimes I really think skyways rants aren't that wrong after all.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I'll say it again, to say that the ME series are declining in quality after each subsequent entry is pure and utter nonsense. You either have very, very low standards or you just like to complain - which I can understand, of course, but I don't understand why anyone would think any of these games do anything different on any level. It's always been a derp ride with terrible pretentious writing, crammed-down in your throat "subtlety" and utterly mediocre gameplay. There's nothing to call on here, nothing to unmask. I know it's fun to unmask things, it's one of my favourite pastime, but this isn't the right place to do it. And I assume some people get a kick out of going on passionate diatrybes, I sure do, but really I'll say it again, this isn't the appropriate subject, or at least I would hope this isn't the appropriate place. It's not like ME1 was hailed as any good on the Codex when it came out, I don't see any people lining up to defend it. The only people who defend that game are the ones who want to make it sound like ME2 was even worst, but it's just ridiculous. Worst compared to what? I really don't understand the difference.

Furthermore, ME2 already was pretty much on par with DA2. Both games are structured around missions which basically all have the same form, and their content are almost always filler. It's uninspired shit. Bioware doesn't understand that form dedicates content, big fucking news. This is how they do their games - they have their writers create filler, pretextes for moving the action forward. All of it is akin to episodic tv shows where main characters are in interaction with forgettable generic individuals which serve to present said main characters in certain ways, in order to forge stronger recognizable stereotypes. There's no originality whatsoever and everything comes down to a formula and a check list. The ultimate effect is that all created scenarios feel stale and generic. To attempt to balance this, the scenarios are made to be extreme and shocking, but this just blunders the viewers' sensibilities to the point that they find them to be routine. So you have shit exploding and over the top science fiction crap and so on every 3 minutes, and no one notices. It's just all a day in the office.

Worst, the gameplay even follows the writing's predictable patterns. It's all about filler encounters and terrible boss design that was taken out of '90 arcade games. The entire game doesn't make sense and is based on uninspired game tropes. You're a three-man team running around in corridors saving the galaxy with small arms. This is because Bioware cannot make any kind of open environments and everything is pretty much the same shit that allows their stereotypes to fester like infected open wounds.

Still, I'm going to enjoy the fuck out of ME3
:yeah:

Stakhanov

Augur
This thread is now about how Mass Effect 1 is exactly the same as Mass Effect 2.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I haven't played through any of the Mass Effects, or any of the Dragon Age games. Codex fails, while i bring incline. You are all faggots. Fuck you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom