Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone want to try DarkFall ?

goatvomit

Eau de Rapax
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's still down for patching due to the desync issue. Most people couldn't make gold etc at all but some guilds had tons of it which lead to a suspicion that there were exploits but afaik nothing has been proven yet.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Word is that the game is more or less dubbed "Darkfail" now. Maybe it will pull an Eve Online and rebound but, ehh...

sabishii

Arbiter
Sovy Kurosei said:
Word is that the game is more or less dubbed "Darkfail" now. Maybe it will pull an Eve Online and rebound but, ehh...
I haven't found any third party impressions on the game. Besides the horrible launch, what else is wrong with the game?

Fenril

Scholar
Ahhh darkfall online, open ended mmorpg with a pvp focus, skill based char development, full loot, no artificial boundaries on agression ( hopefully) brutal, lovely.

Hyped to shit by obscure, manipulative and lying devs that have been jerking off their pvp nostalgic community for over 6 years. Or is that 7? 8? Quite a feat when it started with 4 guys in a basement.

EDIT/CUT: WTF its gold? or in some kind of open beta stage claiming to be gold?

*takes off boot, chews on boot*

If any of you are into the community by now say Fenril says "Hi". Some of the cool kids that endured will remember for sure.

Even if I wanted to try the game to pass judgement im not sure if I could, rumor was after my personally driven and justified dev slander campaign my IP would be blocked even for the game xD

Im not that interested in trying it myself, but would like to hear some descriptions and thoughts from someone who played it regularly for week or so. If it is truly in a playable state that is. Could be the devs managed only to make another Shadowbane gold release.

I do think ill go check some forums to see how the community is reacting though, or whats left of it. I honestly didnt think darkfall could break out of eternal vaporware status.Ever.

sabishii

Arbiter
Hm supposedly orders will be opening up in a few hours. Hopefully I'll see some of you in game. What race are you guys?

goatvomit

Eau de Rapax
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So far I'd say that when out in the boonies keep your head up (almost like in hockey) or you'll get ganked. Fighting mobs and losing your stamina / situational awareness can be quite lethal. It makes life more interesting that's for sure but I don't think it would be everyone's cup of tea. Safety in numbers would work but that would require someone more social than this hermit finn.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
flabbyjack said:
cause they've got ~8k customer accounts and they are not accepting any more :/
they only let a handful of people register each day to supposedly prevent hammering of the servers. or so the shitty website told me.

sabishii

Arbiter
SuicideBunny said:
flabbyjack said:
cause they've got ~8k customer accounts and they are not accepting any more :/
they only let a handful of people register each day to supposedly prevent hammering of the servers. or so the shitty website told me.
Yeah.

So far I like it. I'm not very far into the game, because I haven't decided on a clan yet (and you do need a clan for such a dog-eat-dog world) so I've just been practicing on Goblins, and exploring skills and areas. And, yes, I can confirm that even the lowliest of mobs is hard because they will call their friends and switch off on you.

The skill system makes Darkfall feel like an Elder Scrolls game - in a good way, without hand-holding. It makes me feel that I can play the game my own way without the pressure having to level and gain experience in order to keep up with my peers. With smarts - or trickery - I can loot good gear off another's corpse if I need to.

On the other hand, it is not the most polished game out there, besides being pretty stable server-wise. Siege hammers - which are the main way of damaging "clan stones" (the life meter of a clan city, basically) - are bugged so that they do negligible damage. Skill balance, skill variety, and skill gain rate is quite a bit funky at the moment. And of course, most people are playing Orderfall, not Darkfall. The problem is that the dev of the game, Aventurine, is a really small company, with not a lot of money (thus the small number of players allowed in). Hopefully, the income from launch will start showing up soon... Otherwise, I don't think the game is fucked up enough to die, but it may have a very long growing phase before it reaches some sort of notoriety, a la Eve Online.

Btw, my character is an Ork named "Professor Mangoose." Come join me, gank me, whatever.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
I havn't managed to get in yet - though I'm not sure I want to at this stage. This is basiclly a paid open beta from what I can tell browsing the official forums.

I do think that it shows a lot of promise, kind of an updated UO, so I might give it a crack in 6-12 months (if it's still around by then)....

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
There's no strategic combat to speak of. Please take a look at youtube combat videos and tell me if you see anything strategic about circle strafing and left click to swing.

sabishii

Arbiter
RK47 said:
There's no strategic combat to speak of. Please take a look at youtube combat videos and tell me if you see anything strategic about circle strafing and left click to swing.
Please tell me what has to do with military and resource strategy?

Shannow

Waster of Time
No tactics then. That is even worse from my standpoint^^

So, who's all in and did you play enough to give some more impressions? While I don't really like anything I've seen/heard about the game yet, maybe I simply heard about the wrong stuff...
And I'm sorta looking for an MMO to dick around in with as little grinding as possible.

sabishii

Arbiter
Shannow said:
No tactics then. That is even worse from my standpoint^^

So, who's all in and did you play enough to give some more impressions? While I don't really like anything I've seen/heard about the game yet, maybe I simply heard about the wrong stuff...
And I'm sorta looking for an MMO to dick around in with as little grinding as possible.
Can't really be bothered to give more impressions atm... but it's really like Eve on the general level. You can dick around on your own and decently far, but if you get a clan you'll be a lot more stable and you can participate in the political/military aspect of the game. However the world is a lot smaller than Eve's so I suppose if you were a solo pirate in Eve you may find it harder to stay hidden in Darkfall.

Combat-wise, yeah, it's a little button-mashy. Note though that there are skills such as knockback you can buy at certain weapon skills, just that skill increases slowly (intended for one to not just become a super-powerful hero within a month), so most people only have a basic attack now.

Don't take that to mean there's a grind though (albiet magic is a bit of a grind atm)... It's not necessary at all to level your skills - it helps, but you are competitive from the start. You don't have any severe strength gap between levels such as in the typical MMO, and you don't even need certain skills to wear certain weapons & armor as was the case in Eve. If you're smart, you can take out the strongest person in game if he made a lapse of judgment, and take his gear.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
sab, you must have a lot of patience to tolerate this sort of mediocre paid beta. A lot of my pals who went to beta didn't bother going to paid stage. A few of them who did said nothing changes, it still has a shit ton of bug and don't believe the hype. I read one guy's post on F13.net forum who skimmed the FAQ page and compared it with the 'LIVE' features, conclusion? 90% of promised feature isn't there or improperly implemented. Bravo!

Strategic resource management with shallow gameplay is simply zergfest at its finest.And comparing it to EVE is an insult. The game isn't done. Those who are playing it are either exploiting the shit out of the bugs and flawed system or just 'hardcore' enough to brave bugs to be 'the world first achievers'.

No need to bullshit about it being a good 'MMO'. it's not even remotely average.

Darksign: go check youtube vid and see all those pvp vid. Everyone is 'jousting': Run past target, swing and hope you hit & don't get hit in return.

Resource management: you mean afk-mining eh?

sabishii

Arbiter
There are a few bugs in sieging, but what else do you mean? Bugged mobs were pretty much gone by the first week, lag and queue problems were fixed last week. There's still some bugs with mobs not spawning at certain times past midnight, I suppose.

Yes, AV sucks at giving news and updating the site, but in interviews and previews I think they have mentioned taking certain features out despite forgetting to take them out on the website.

As for comabt, there's a block button which I use liberally. If someone hits you while you're blocking, they lose a lot of stamina. And there's more to jousting than just "hoping" you don't get hit. E.g., feint getting into range so your opponent wastes his swing (and thus also wasting stamina), and then going in for a hit. After leveling your magic skills you can use spells such as "Mana to Stamina" to regain stamina. Note, yes, so far combat is hugely a stamina-management game.

I fail to see how Darkfall's resource gathering is more afk-mining than Eve's.

And why exactly does a simple combat system = zergfest? You might as well say the same about a game such as Medieval Total War, because none of the units have "special attacks." There is strategy and tactics on a general scale - look at the big picture, not just from the perspective of a single soldier.

Edit: I don't quite understand your "patience" comment. Other than queue times being absurdly long (over 2 hours) last week. They're gone now, btw instant log in over the weekend. I encountered no significant bugs yesterday, logged in, distributed armor amongst the clan, went on a small mounted raid to enemy lands and totalled about 20 kills by the clan. Not sure what bugs you are suggesting I should experience.

Edit2: I see you also totally ignored how I explained there are more combat skills to be gained at higher skill levels. You see only basic attacks in PVP videos because everybody is essentially a newbie. There is a knockback attack, a power attack, and a whirlwind attack, IIRC.

Zakhal

Liturgist
The game got really bad rep at start but in real it doesnt seem that bad at all. The game has many features (implemented) that I like in mmo games. There are some nice big rpg clans too. The game suits me well. It brings back the shivers that only UO and SB have ever been able to give.

I have been waiting to get to buy the game for week now, but they are not selling.

Poltical map of DF - kind of like the on in Eve:
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1295/dar ... p1800g.jpg

Combat video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNJs79Ik6eY&fmt=22

Lots of people gathering for siege:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn-bloV4QR4&fmt=22

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom