Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Arcanum Multiverse Edition

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Is multiverse bad? Have never tried it. Does it change anything? There steam page is pretty vague:

Partially modified gameplay.
The main changes concern dialogues and scripted scenes, namely the ratio of words and actions of NPCs. Also, the parameters of NPCs, items, spells and schematics have been revised.
They relocated all OP items from early locations, like Hand Cannon from Halfling in Tarant

Liviu

Barely Literate
Firearms were severely underpowered before. You need to raise In, Pe and Dx for a viable gunslinger, it's balanced now.

Eselter

Novice
Hello, People!

I have prepared something for you :)

So, recently I've worked with Arcanum Multiverse Team to implement Supa-Dupa High Quality Videos into the game...
... and it works! :)
Also it should work for any other Arcanum compilation with resolution mod.
(...)
Video 02112.bik have only one audio track it should have 2.

Metracryg

Novice
Hello, People!

So, recently I've worked with Arcanum Multiverse Team to implement Supa-Dupa High Quality Videos into the game...
(...)

Indeed.
Is second track used in the actual game? If it is, then I shall add it to the videos in google folder and update my torrent release.

Also good news everyone - 1.7.1.1 version of AME will be released untill the end of August as a tribute to the 20th Anniversary of "Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura" release in North America.
Many are the fixes and numerous are the additions, I sayeth :)
Those pesky problems with dialogues will be fixed in English version, as wel as some QoL improwements - like possibility to turn of the annoying sound effects of buffs and summons - will be implemented.
An much more... soon...

Eselter

Novice
Hello, People!

(...)

Indeed.
Is second track used in the actual game? If it is, then I shall add it to the videos in google folder and update my torrent release.

Also good news everyone - 1.7.1.1 version of AME will be released untill the end of August as a tribute to the 20th Anniversary of "Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura" release in North America.
Many are the fixes and numerous are the additions, I sayeth :)
Those pesky problems with dialogues will be fixed in English version, as wel as some QoL improwements - like possibility to turn of the annoying sound effects of buffs and summons - will be implemented.
An much more... soon...
I think so in "01093KanHuamovie.scr" you have this line:
Code:
0. fade: pass 0 seconds, play 1 sound, and play 4 movie, with 0 seconds during fade

PS: I made optional polish subtitles to your hd cinematic using bikmod which allow using srt subtitles in game and I add script to installer which add this missing audio track.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/spolszczenie-arcanum/downloads/arcanum-hd-cinematics-pl
Code:
Filename: "{app}\BikMod\temp\binkmix.exe"; Description: "Dodaj brakującą ścieżkę o ID 1 do 02112.bik"; Parameters: """..\..\modules\Arcanum\movies\02112.bik"" ""02112_00000001.audio.split.bik"" ""..\..\modules\Arcanum\movies\02112.bik""  /L0 /T1 /I0 /O";

Last edited:

Metracryg

Novice
Polish subtitles are cool! I think I will do Ukrainian subtitles in that case too.
I shall tell others about this bikmod, and maybe they will implement it in the next update, it may allow to choose combinations of audio/subs...

Also I have already added missing tracks to the videos (both EN & RU)
Here is the updated google-folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zCgfQx3viY7OAx44jGBHkNOouW_WlR8Y?usp=sharing

Now we need to test it in the game before I update torrent release at rutracker.

Eselter

Novice
I test this additional audio track after adding it to your hd cinematics using script in installer by editing other scr file and changing it to play movie 4 with audio 1 and it play 2nd audio track. But maybe someone has save in this point of game where this video and this audio track should normally play and can share it here ;)?

Edit:
You can read more about this cinematic and 2nd audio track in this topic:
https://terra-arcanum.com/forums/threads/english-subtitles-for-videos.17130/

Edit 2:
I try yours updated cinematics and 2nd audio track for me is not working (I try 720p and 1080p) when I try play this video in rad video tools 1.0m using advanced play to pick up 2nd track. I also try Russian version and I can't hear sound on 1st and 2nd audio tracks (only tested on 720p).
It seems that is only a case in updated 02112.bik movies in others audio works fine.

You can grab tools, script and English audio track from here to add missing audio track to cinematics:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jXQ2u17Mc8ancUTyWHFasnsxNCTX8Qr9/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Metracryg

Novice
I test this additional audio track after adding it to your hd cinematics using script in installer by editing other scr file and changing it to play movie 4 with audio 1 and it play 2nd audio track. But maybe someone has save in this point of game where this video and this audio track should normally play and can share it here ;)?

Edit:
You can read more about this cinematic and 2nd audio track in this topic:
https://terra-arcanum.com/forums/threads/english-subtitles-for-videos.17130/

Edit 2:
I try yours updated cinematics and 2nd audio track for me is not working (I try 720p and 1080p) when I try play this video in rad video tools 1.0m using advanced play to pick up 2nd track. I also try Russian version and I can't hear sound on 1st and 2nd audio tracks (only tested on 720p).
It seems that is only a case in updated 02112.bik movies in others audio works fine.

You can grab tools, script and English audio track from here to add missing audio track to cinematics:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jXQ2u17Mc8ancUTyWHFasnsxNCTX8Qr9/view?usp=sharing

I'm not strong at scripts, but I've added tracks to 02112.bik with the latest version of RAD Tools (08.2021) and "Advanced Play" plays it well. Have to remind, that track 1 (Nasrudin voice) is track "0" in the player, and track 2 (K'an Hua voice) is "1". Also both tracks can be selected and play well in VLC and MPC players. Why do you use 20-years old tools? Modern version works fine, I've encoded all videos with it. There is only one thing with audio: you have to set compress level more than 100 (103, 104 etc).
So now I think we need the save of evil player just before the video start, to test it directly in game. Can anyone share?

jackofshadows

Magister
Is there a features' list for Multiverse Edition? For some reason some modders seem totally disinterested in saying what its features actually are.
The main feature has always been that you could switch languages how you like (Russian/English text-audio) without breaking this modded version of the game into oblivion. With the usual muddle-headed idea about how Arcanum could've been released in far 2001 if things were perfect. In practice, similiarily to Wesp's patchmod, the list of changes has crossed boundaries of "fixing stuff" long, long time ago. There's tons of little things, really. The cinematics rework is the first major feature, as far as I'm concerned.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Is there a features' list for Multiverse Edition? For some reason some modders seem totally disinterested in saying what its features actually are.
1. High Res
3eb632c63d74d5bed84cf41cb294febb.png

2. Engine Patches, many of which are either fur debugging purposes or require an explanation that isn't forthcoming.
58e242b7826aa9c496335c592b1bb750.png

764853ed16504014ec289190735cebbb.png

27e52f6ecc05c7aa5dd7bf4a9388db3d.png

And then there's the SirFaggot pack, which adds spells and ... some quests? I googled and I couldn't find a list of changes. The spells are nice, though, e.g. you can walk through walls, which is useful for stealing.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
It also does other things though, doesn't it? I remember it made inn doors lock and changed NPC schedules in Shrouded Hills. This led to my character getting locked into his room at the inn and not having the change to rob that guy with the bank safe combination.

At least, I *think* this is the patch that did that. Don't remember.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Just got an automatic update. After the update:
- If I use ddraw 0.2.1, everyone's reputation with me is 860000000+
- If I use ddraw 0.3.1, everyone goes hostile and their reputatation with me goes -8600000000

Don't update, these guys are real assholes. Broke my game mid-way. Fuckers, absolute fuckers.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Any of you try to make your own areas via the construction set packed with the game? I had a horrible time with that. The few modded areas I dl'd way back were god awful.

Ethaliel

Novice
Just got an automatic update. After the update:
- If I use ddraw 0.2.1, everyone's reputation with me is 860000000+
- If I use ddraw 0.3.1, everyone goes hostile and their reputatation with me goes -8600000000

Don't update, these guys are real assholes. Broke my game mid-way. Fuckers, absolute fuckers.
Don't play this game - it's clearly bad for Your health.

Poseidon

Educated
So there has been a minor update as mentioned by Bester and that hasn't been listed either here or on Steam.

There is no changelog of that update on their "official" thread - https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5213556 And I cannot ask them to update their shit because you can't post on there unless your account is 30 days old...

If it wasn't for that thread, I would've thought this has been dead/abandoned.

I re-played Arcanum about a year ago and I was torn between latest UAP and ME, but I remember not being able to run ME at 720p without issues. Also UAP has a book that makes your followers catch up to your level, which is really handy. I have an itch to play it again, and I might just stick to UAP unless people here have other recommendations.

My last playthrough was "No red text" run meaning I avoided Madam Tussauds (siding with either "psychic", fails the other's quest, no way to avoid that) and I also killed Don Throgg (cause fuck workers unions if I'm running things), but it turns out Tarant basically goes to shit if you kill Don Throgg, so I want to "do it right" this time. I also wasted some skill points cause I didn't plan for the Allfather Blessing accordingly.

Sin2x

Scholar
So there has been a minor update as mentioned by Bester and that hasn't been listed either here or on Steam.

There is no changelog of that update on their "official" thread - https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5213556 And I cannot ask them to update their shit because you can't post on there unless your account is 30 days old...

If it wasn't for that thread, I would've thought this has been dead/abandoned.

I re-played Arcanum about a year ago and I was torn between latest UAP and ME, but I remember not being able to run ME at 720p without issues. Also UAP has a book that makes your followers catch up to your level, which is really handy. I have an itch to play it again, and I might just stick to UAP unless people here have other recommendations.

My last playthrough was "No red text" run meaning I avoided Madam Tussauds (siding with either "psychic", fails the other's quest, no way to avoid that) and I also killed Don Throgg (cause fuck workers unions if I'm running things), but it turns out Tarant basically goes to shit if you kill Don Throgg, so I want to "do it right" this time. I also wasted some skill points cause I didn't plan for the Allfather Blessing accordingly.

It's quite actively developed but the news are here and not on Rutracker: https://vk.com/another_arcanum

Poseidon

Educated
It's quite actively developed but the news are here and not on Rutracker: https://vk.com/another_arcanum

The only way I could access that was through a TOR relay with a Russian strict exit node, but you are right, that is the main hub for updates.

Google Translate of the 1.7.1.1 Update:
// Arcanum Multiverse Edition v.1.7.1.1
// Update 1 for AME v.1.7.1.0

Version 1.7.1.1 is based on a modified configurator, modified gameplay and an updater attached to the case.
The main difference from Arcanum Multiverse Edition versions 1.7.0.0 and 1.7.1.0 is the significant impact on the art part of the game as part of the optional add-on Sir's Expectations Modpack.

e296aa.png
Settings and Optimization (Config.exe)
√ Added 3 new options in General settings.
- Added checkbox "Repair Alt key in windowed mode" (removes window sticking when pressing Alt key. Works only when launching the game via launcher or configurator).
- Added checkbox "Turn off the sounds of some spells" (removes cyclic sounds from the spells Air Energy, Earth Strength, Fire Speed, Water Purity and Time Flies).
- Added checkbox "Turn off sounds of summoned creatures" (removes sounds from the Elemental of air, fire and water, as well as from the Familiar).
√ Added 5 new engine patches.
- Added a checkbox "With an initial gift of fate" (the character will receive 1 fate point at the beginning of the game).
- Added checkbox "Magical Affinity: +5%" (character will get an additional 5 points to Magic Affinity, regardless of their race and background).
- Added checkbox "Technological Affinity: +5%" (character will get an additional 5 points to Technological Affinity, regardless of their race and background).
- Added checkbox "Intelligence requirements for circuits" (to study standard technological circuits will require 5, 7, 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 points to Intelligence,
- Added "Always day" checkbox (disables lighting changes without affecting game time and NPC sleep mode).
√ Added "ddraw.dll version" selector in "High-Res" tab.
- The list includes release versions 0.3.1 (from 05/16/2021) and 0.2.1 (from 05/04/2016).
- XXX - any other version that you put in the root folder with the game ( github.com/narzoul/DDrawCompat/releases ).
√ Added function to import/export backgrounds in .bckg (background) format.
√ Added the ability to edit an already created background effect ("<->" button).
√ Minor changes have been made to the design of the configurator.
- The checkboxes of the main settings are displayed in a separate block with a scroll.

- Renamed buttons for adding, deleting and resetting the background in the English layout.
e296aa.png
Basic Gameplay (Arcanum Multiverse Edition)
√ Eliminated dialogue with the leader of the dark elves in the Elven ruins, if the protagonist is under the influence of the invisibility spell.
√ Fixed the Magic Affinity value of 18 NPCs: Warp Bunny, Ghoul, Blood Guard, Rotten Corpse, Mummy, Half Lich, Large Mummy, Stinking Corpse, Ghost Spirit, Ore Golem, Storm Soldier, Dark Champion, Blood Spirit, Shadow Warrior, Cursed Paladin, Stone Spirit, Ragged Combatant, Undead Champion.
√ Fixed issue with Percival Thun's "ritual self-immolation" near the fireplace.
√ Solved the problem of Hervor being near the steam engine around the clock (the ability to do without bloodshed).
√ The Weak Draft Bar in Ashbury no longer stands up for an agent of the Hand of Moloch when he attacks the protagonist.
√ Edwin Wallows has been assigned the Mage of Movement development scheme. Level raised from 1 to 24.
√ Replaced the standard portraits of Wuriden citizens with racial icons.
√ Eliminated defect in the transmission of the Ring of Gilbert Bates, losing the description of the initial G.B. at the next meeting with William Radcliffe.
√ In the Dungeon of the Scientists, the malfunctioning Fire Barrier was replaced, from which it was impossible to assemble the Pyrotechnic Bow.
√ Richard Leakes' Tempered Shield is now neutral instead of magical.
√ Updated 3 .art files of technological schemes: Lightweight Mail, Regeneration Armor, Gorse Conqueror.
- Unlike previous art, the current ones were created using a neural network (comparative difference in quality).
e296aa.png
Enhanced Gameplay (Sir's Expectations Modpack)
√ Fixed dialogue structure issues with Simon Farkus and Sogg Honey Mug causing missing lines in the English version of the game.
√ Expanded dialogues with Murgo and Edwin Wallows.
- Now the game provides the possibility of joining Murgo as a permanent party member.
√ Expanded dialogues with Sir Garrick Stout and Dernholm Dungeon Guard.
- A duel for the title of Melee Master has been implemented at the new location "Entrance to the Dungeon of Dernholm".
√ Expanded dialogue with Lloyd Gurlos.
- When you re-apply, the branch with services will be brought to the fore.
√ Expanded dialogue with the Dog.
- Added an introductory part of the dialogue, in which the NPC receives the nickname Gourmet (Gourmet).
√ Now in Ashbury you can find a unique creature associated with a gift of fate.
- The variability of the dialogue with this NPC will be determined by certain actions of the protagonist.
√ Fixed the Russian description of the Rifled Mortar scheme, in which instead of Dwarven Ore (according to SEM), Pure Ore (according to AME) was mentioned.
√ Added 16 .art files for alternate scroll colors (1 color for each school of Magic).

// Compatibility

√ The updater checks to see if Sir's Expectations Modpack is installed before extracting related files.
√ Cleaning up temporary files, necessary to accept most changes, is also under the control of the updater.
√ Support for saved games remains in effect if they were recorded on build version

The v.1.7.1.2 update is out (https://vk.com/another_arcanum?w=wall-72911622_8331), among the fixes and changes the highlights for me are:
New armour for half-ogres
More "pop-up phrases" from Sogg Mead Mug
More dialogue options for the first encounter with Agent of Molokh and Jongle Dunn
Some changes on offerings to gods
Ability to keep playing after the ending with easter-egg dialogue
Maybe I'll try to translate changelog tomorrow

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Should this be the only mod used for another Arcanum replay?

bah! Nevermind! I can't read Cybertronian Sigils the Transformers use.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom