Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are graphics whores all bad?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
racofer said:
Some more, weird paranoid shit

Dude, I'm not sure what your problem is, but you seem to have me confused with someone else.

The_Pope

Scholar
Hand in your graphics whore badge. Fallout 3 looks worse than plenty of games from last year, like Crysis, UT3 and CoD4.

The Dude

Liturgist
IMHO, and most gamers I know IRL agree, you really don't need to go beyond the graphics of the source engine when it comes to 3d. Beyond that it all comes down to art and content. I really enjoy good artwork as much as the next guy, but spare me the all the annoying eye candy postprocessing bloom of ultra lense flares and 4096x4096 facial textures that lets me see the bloody bacteria in some ugly dude's face. Instead give me gameplay that isn't just another iteration of the same old tired formulas, only dumbed down and repackaged. Fucking surprise the angry old cunt I am and do something new, or at least expand and build on the ideas that are already there in a new and good way. I also guess that some people (me included) are a bit bitter about the fact that while the budgets of games have increased exponentially the extra resources seemingly go first and foremost to voiceovers and graphics instead of the stuff that really matters: gameplay and content. Hopefully this will change when procedural graphics (and content) generation techniques mature, but you never now.

And yeah, FO3 isn't even that much of a graphics whore's wet dream.

mondblut

Arcane
Nothing wrong with appreciating superior graphics per se.

It is the "this gaem has no bloom and shaderz 3.0? what a crappy gaem!" mentality which signifies generations of inbreeding and would secure a warm spot in Auschwitz in an ideal world.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Sigh, this racofer guy is a tad bit...I don't know.

His range of subjects to speak about is limited to "Oblivion/Bethesda sucks", TSLRP, "NWN2 is unoptimised" and...well that's about it.

And even within those matters, he says only the generic stuff because he doesn't say much that hasn't already been said. Really, his sole contribution to any - ANY - NWN2 topic is "This game is poorly optimised and has a bad camera". Yes, those are legitimate complaints, but for god's sake, they have already been said a million times, and have nothing to do with the discussion going on about NWN2.

But hey, not posting anything interesting is one thing. This guy also has been trying too hard to fit in here or something. Scarcely had he come here that he went overboard with all the local memes like "butthurt detected" in any random situation. And now he is trying to stigmatise a guy for supposedly liking Oblivion.

What the hell is up with this guy? Jesus.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Wyrmlord said:
Sigh, this racofer guy is a tad bit...I don't know.

His range of subjects to speak about is limited to "Oblivion/Bethesda sucks", TSLRP, "NWN2 is unoptimised" and...well that's about it.

And even within those matters, he says only the generic stuff because he doesn't say much that hasn't already been said. Really, his sole contribution to any - ANY - NWN2 topic is "This game is poorly optimised and has a bad camera". Yes, those are legitimate complaints, but for god's sake, they have already been said a million times, and have nothing to do with the discussion going on about NWN2.

But hey, not posting anything interesting is one thing. This guy also has been trying too hard to fit in here or something. Scarcely had he come here that he went overboard with all the local memes like "butthurt detected" in any random situation. And now he is trying to stigmatise a guy for supposedly liking Oblivion.

What the hell is up with this guy? Jesus.

What the hell does this have to do with you? Are you feeling butthurt for your butt-buddie Crispy?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
fizzelopeguss said:
FO3 looks like every other bethesda game, overuse of jizz mapping, atrociously modelled and animated characters and creatures.

BSW is a lot like jackoffher or whatever his name is; they try way too hard. It's like they've got this complex about not knowing how or when to stop. They make their game, they kind of stand back and cock their head sideways, judging just so with their brush aimed ahead, then step back forward and keep adding more and more. They still manage to make a good-looking game, IMO, but they've never mastered the ability to sweeten the pie just so much as to make it delectable. It winds up being overloaded with empty sugary calories, hence the premature you-know-whatting of someone like me who admittedly is initially very attracted to those purdy grafixxx...

I think I'm the one with the complex, though. That's because I keep going through the same cycle with these games: I buy them, I crank up the details, I marvel at their glory, but then I start to actually play them and almost inevitably realize the enjoyment is short-lived. I am a notorious non-finisher when it comes to them. Yet sure enough, once the next beauty starts hitting the sites with its awesome screenshots, I'm all over it. The cycle begins again.

How can I stop? Why do I waste my time?

Someone help me.

I feel so dirty.

Xi

Arcane
Crispy, you are merely a weak spirit in comparison to the game-play lovers @ the RPGcodex. You gaily dream that graphics are the the soul of video games because they are what your eyes can perceive, but it is your mind that is weak and your soul that lacks any substance for the reality of what gaming has become because of such weak, bloom-loving fools as yourself!

Repent! Repent and sacrifice your graphical games to the game-play gods before it is too late!

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I've tried that. I've tried! But I just keep going back to what I know best. It's just that it's... so easy to obtain, you know what I mean?

I wish the GPU had never been invented. :sob:

---

The first computer game I ever played was 'Adventure' on a PET back in about '82 or so. I didn't know shit about computers back then and the amazement and wonder that I experienced just figuring out through trial and error what I could and couldn't do in that game has never been rivaled since.

Is it ever going to be possible to recreate that feeling?

I guess a crack addict ponders the same thing all the time.

The Dude

Liturgist
Is it ever going to be possible to recreate that feeling?

For me, at least a shadow of that feeling comes from exploring some of the more involved rougelikes and not looking at spoilers. Being a graffix whore that venue might be sadly closed to you though.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Crispy said:
I've tried that. I've tried! But I just keep going back to what I know best. It's just that it's... so easy to obtain, you know what I mean?

I wish the GPU had never been invented. :sob:

Holy shit, what a fucking emo. You looking for consolation or something in here? Just cut your wrists and begone.

I guess a crack addict ponders the same thing all the time.

ffs.....

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I really couldn't care less about a game having the newest best looking graphics engine. Having the best art direction is a whole other ball game though. Even with a mediocre or seriously outdated engine a game can look awesome when the art direction is spot on.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
JarlFrank said:
Crispy said:
racofer said:

Hardly. Those cards are already obsolescent.

What? Is that even a word? Last time I checked it was spelled obsolete. Your stupidity is so high that it's already fluorescent.

Main Entry:
ob·so·les·cent Listen to the pronunciation of obsolescent
Pronunciation:
\-sənt\
Function:
adjective
Date:

: going out of use : becoming obsolete
— ob·so·les·cent·ly adverb

He used the word entirely correct, vollkoffer. There must be something with Germans about telling other people how to speak their own language; you fell right in line with Jasede on that one.

Kaiserin said:
There must be something with Germans about telling other people how to speak their own language; you fell right in line with Jasede on that one.
It's called being nazis. It's rather simple.

aleph

Arcane
Xi said:
Crispy, you are merely a weak spirit in comparison to the game-play lovers @ the RPGcodex. You gaily dream that graphics are the the soul of video games because they are what your eyes can perceive, but it is your mind that is weak and your soul that lacks any substance for the reality of what gaming has become because of such weak, bloom-loving fools as yourself!

Repent! Repent and sacrifice your graphical games to the game-play gods before it is too late!

QFT!

Shannow

Waster of Time
Kaiserin said:
There must be something with Germans about telling other people how to speak their own language; you fell right in line with Jasede on that one.
Well, if no one else will... ;)
But seriously, who of the native english speakers here knew the word obsolescent?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I think Fallout 3 looks worse than Half Life 2. The screenshots make it look like the original UT engine sometimes.
But seriously, who of the native english speakers here knew the word obsolescent?
I did. I think it's a pointless word, like "utilize."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom