Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Are video games contemporary art? DISCUSS!!

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ask me nicely then. For why I'm talking about painters and shit I can point you to my first post where it all started: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ld-where-evil-won.107576/page-31#post-4440181
Fair enough. I take back my "you're an idiot" words. Still, why it has to be abstract painting though?

Contemporary art has a lot of other movement and abstract isn't something that is comparable to the visual style used in Tranny.

Give me proof that, for example, a photorealistic painter doesn't give a shit whether rocks look like rocks or cocks.

Unwanted
Fair enough. I take back my "you're an idiot" words. Still, why it has to be abstract painting though?

Contemporary art has a lot of other movement and abstract isn't something that is comparable to the visual style used in Tranny.

Give me proof that, for example, a photorealistic painter doesn't give a shit whether rocks look like rocks or cocks.

Fair enough. But funny thing is that your own criticism applies to you as well. I used the Newman example just to show that not all artists necessarily attempt to reproduce an object as realistically as possible. And I have to take your criticism seriously: I intentionally picked out Newman to back up that claim.

You're right that there's also a movement called photorealism that seems to be in opposition with my claim. Photorealists aim to reproduce an object as realistically as possible, you're right.

So, I dunno, had we reached an impasse? I would say Tyranny is not going to be a photorealistic game, and this leaves open the possibility that it's okay that rocks don't looks like rocks. Some people say the rocks in the pictures look like chocolate, and while I see why some people don't like the pictures (they look like Diablo 3), there's no reason to be mad -- there's a sense in which "chocolate rocks" are visually appealing and consistent with the rest of the depicted world.

Unwanted
contemporary "art":

Genuine question: what's wrong with this work?

(I assume that you're just an ignorant that is not willing to read into the work, and simply assumes that the artist "promotes wrong ideology [feminism]" or is simply "lunatic". Prove me wrong).

tormund

Arcane
This is somehow legit worse than that FPS thread.
I still enjoyed you postmodernist deconstructive critical analysis of metastructuralist transmosphic tendencies within the field of interactive entertainment and its related constructs OP. You should consider starting a YT channel.

Thanks, but I have to say no. My specialization is a lot more realistic in philosophical terms, but I do appreciate the opposite side and in a sense that's why I'm confident of success: I know the field very well. Some niggers on this forum haven't read a single book in a long time, for real.
Wait, did you just take that seriously? As in, "it actually means something" seriously? I just strung together a bunch of random words guys like you tend to use...

contemporary "art":

(I assume that you're just an ignorant that is not willing to read into the work, and simply assumes that the artist "promotes wrong ideology [feminism]" or is simply "lunatic". Prove me wrong).

Don't matter what kind of shit you see, there is always people who call it art and fap on it.

Unwanted
I still enjoyed you postmodernist deconstructive critical analysis of metastructuralist transmosphic tendencies within the field of interactive entertainment and its related constructs OP. You should consider starting a YT channel.

Thanks, but I have to say no. My specialization is a lot more realistic in philosophical terms, but I do appreciate the opposite side and in a sense that's why I'm confident of success: I know the field very well. Some niggers on this forum haven't read a single book in a long time, for real.
Wait, did you just take that seriously? As in, "it actually means something" seriously? I just strung together a bunch of random words guys like you tend to use...

You clearly missed a deprecating sense of my post. One of the reasons why I chose my specialization is because people on my side pay attention to concepts they use. This doesn't mean that the other side has nothing interesting to say. I can defend the other side, but I would prefer to use my own words than quote some of prominent representatives of that side.

Unwanted
contemporary "art":

Don't matter what kind of shit you see, there is always people who call it art and fap on it.

We have another ignorant, it seems. Guys, you have a simple task: tell me what was the intention of the author :D Let's see how eloquent you really are :D

tormund

Arcane

You clearly missed a deprecating sense of my post.
No, I think you genuinely acted as if there was some sense behind that.

Or were you making a comment on how words and language in general have as much meaning as we give to them? :millennial: Or was it that my words, even if they are senseless babble within my own subjective reality, posses worth and meaning within your subjective reality? :millennial:

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Fascinating, isn't it?

The individual could do anything they want with their time. Some, choose to join internet forums to stir up arguments purposefully. They choose topics that go against the common belief of that community (defending underrated artists, mentioning feminism and other hot topics), and then challenges those beliefs purposefully, in the most infamous manner possible. They'll use terms as "nigger" or "faggot", they'll call those who disagree with them "ignorants" and other names. The objective, clearly, isn't to promote a debate and reach a mutual conclusion between individual and community. What is the intention, then? Is it perhaps to train rethorics? Or is it a way to gain attention?

What kind of individual sits on their computer and tries to "fight" an internet forum? What kind of individual thinks proving they're better than strangers on the internet is a good way of spending their time? What kind of individual thinks using "nigger" is a funny and trendy thing to say, if not an attention-seeking edgelord? Perhaps they wish to justify that spending their time studying those fields wasn't wasted? Are they arguing with others, or are they arguing with that voice in their head that says, "You should've studied engineering like your brother".

Notice how frequent the individual tries to show itself as smarter than others. What's the source of this online narcissism, if not insecurity?

I take it back. It's not fascinating at all. Just sad.

laclongquan

Arcane
If you start out with some high brow strict definition of the art, then no, Video games are not art. For one thing, greatest artists sometimes die penniless. Greatest game developers are not recognized yet because it's too early for that, so we dont know if any great devs will die penniless.

However, broadly defined, video games are art. "something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings". They are art.

Broadly defined, you're a human being. However, under more scrutiny, you possess an overwhelming amount of mongoloid features. "a person with Down's syndrome". You are a mongoloid.

Unwanted

You clearly missed a deprecating sense of my post.
No, I think you genuinely acted as if there was some sense behind that.

Or were you making a comment on how words and language in general have as much meaning as we give to them? :millennial: Or was it that my words, even if they are senseless babble within my own subjective reality, posses worth and meaning within your subjective reality? :millennial:

I just told you where the problem lies. You can't simply deny what I said or at least don't expect that it will push the discussion any further.

Riskbreaker

This forum needs grow out of its base origins and break away from the shackles of past standards, retrograde conventions; it needs to develop and reach its full artistic potential. It could become a medium thru which a potent social message can be sent.

Unwanted
What kind of individual sits on their computer and tries to "fight" an internet forum? What kind of individual thinks proving they're better than strangers on the internet is a good way of spending their time? What kind of individual thinks using "nigger" is a funny and trendy thing to say, if not an attention-seeking edgelord? Perhaps they wish to justify that spending their time studying those fields wasn't wasted? Are they arguing with others, or are they arguing with that voice in their head that says, "You should've studied engineering like your brother".

... you just described 90% of users on this forum. Good job. Including yourself.

Anyway, that's just bad pseudo-psychology and you have nothing to back it up.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Anyway, that's just bad pseudo-psychology and you have nothing to back it up.

You keep telling yourself that. What a smart boy you are! What funny thread you created! Oh wow, you sure riled up those guys on the internet when you called them "niggers". Oh dude, you're on a roll!

Keep it up, let's see what new tricks you'll bring. Let's see what new way you'll find to prove to eeeeveryone on the internet, just how smart you are. No, really. Go on. We're dying to find out!

A shame because the thread topic is actually kind of interesting ; If videogames are art. Is music art? It's considered to be. Does this mean Nicki Minaj is art? Is Justin Bieber art? Videogames are very broad, and oscillate between mere commercial crap, to really intriguing. If a game's story draws you in enough to care about a character, enough to cry because of their death, isn't that art? Connecting with your feelings?

Unwanted
I didn't create this thread. My post and succeeding posts were moved by a moderator.

I prove you wrong, nigger.

contemporary "art":

We have another ignorant, it seems. Guys, you have a simple task: tell me what was the intention of the author :D Let's see how eloquent you really are :D

Oh yeah i am so ignorant. Art is different for different people and it is not something you can simple "learn". Art is something you know then you see it. Since definition of art is so vague plenty of shit being made just for money.
Biggest problem with "learning" art it can make you lose your own opinion, as example you're now see art in everything. Even in games and shitty shows. Don't worry it can be cured easily. Just get taste of some RL.

Unwanted
Dude, have you ever seen a history of art book. It's not something "you know then you see it" (original spelling), and you would know that if you read more. Also, there's the whole discipline called aesthetics and they wrote a fuckload of theories what art is and how we can know when we experience art and these theories are far more complicated than "you know then you see it".

So yeah, in a way art tests your mental capabilities. Embrace it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom