Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are you going to play Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Role Playing Game

Are you going to play Colony Ship?

• Yes

• No

• I don't play video games, not even good ones (kc)

Results are only viewable after voting.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Didn't like the structure of AoD but I bought Colony Ship anyway and will play it, just to see what direction Vince went into with this one.

Sibelius

Novice
Yes, started a new character last night. Fnished BG3 yesterday, perfect timing for CS release, so I took that as a sign that I should give 1.0 a try.

Beans00

Augur
I kind of liked AoD. Ok game but pretty big design flaws. Good setting, bad writing, good combat, bad cyoa shit, good amount of choices but not much freedom when those choices are made.

Overall it was enough that I will eventually play colony ship, but not so good that I'm rushing to play it like I will/did for trudograd, underrail infusion, the next game from atom.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Didn't like the structure of AoD but I bought Colony Ship anyway and will play it, just to see what direction Vince went into with this one.
In general it seem way easier and less "metagamey" for me than AoD so far. AoD required quite a bit of reloading and trial and error regarding what to level up when due to "low margins for error" regarding how the skill check difficulty curve rose as the game progressed, even if you went the obvious path for your build archetype like Thief or Legionaire. Possibly CS is easier because the skill system is (mostly?) level-by-use - you can tag skills (which increases learning gains/skill exp) and increase their level by 1 at chargen but besides that it's all by use, so for example there seems to be a large enough pool of early game easy locks to pick, to allow you to level up the related skill even if it wasn't tagged (at least it's enough for me so far, could be the 10 INT and mastermind feat granting exp bonuses also for skills). Not sure if you get a point every few levels as a bonus or something. FYI I'm playing it blind.

Also the combat encounters seem easier than in AoD, by easier I mean I don't need to retry them 10 or 20 times (more like 3), but maybe because I went with pistols (on a scientist 10 INT character with that 10 INT requiremed feat chosen at the start, so not that much of a combat oriented build I imagine) which work good from close range.

On top of those two you can have companions which can help both in combat and with shit like lockpicking.

Last edited:

xuerebx

Erudite
I really liked AoD, and I had pre-ordered CS if only to support Vince and Oscar. I'll play it one day.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Started playing. Positive first impression so far. I can actually explore, talk to people, do sidequests, rather than being railroaded into tight paths that teleport me from place to place.

The skill gain by use seems to work fine so far, already gained some lockpick and streetwise.

Tenebris

Scholar
Yes. It got me reading Orphans of the Sky again too. I really wish more books used this setting, because I've started to run out of them.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Sell me on it.
Did you enjoy AoD?
>no - what the fuck are you doing on this site

To be honest many people did not enjoy AoD. Plus AoD does not play very conventionally. You are teleported around the gameworld, from one dialogue to another, essentially like reading a CYOA novel. So it is not quite traditional CRPG gameplay and cannot serve as a metric for that.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Sell me on it.
Did you enjoy AoD?
>no - what the fuck are you doing on this site

To be honest many people did not enjoy AoD. Plus AoD does not play very conventionally. You are teleported around the gameworld, from one dialogue to another, essentially like reading a CYOA novel. So it is not quite traditional CRPG gameplay and cannot serve as a metric for that.
Dungeon Rats has more traditional RPG structure and party management.
Pity it didn't get the attention it deserved.

0wca

Learned
If it at least somewhat lives up to the hype.

BG3 was also full of hype so I'm cautious at this point.

Oropay

Educated
Just here to add support, yes I'll play after I finish Signalis and Alan Wake II

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I bought a copy, if only to support games like this being made. I have no idea when I'll get around to actually trying it, though.

Camel

Scholar
Yes. It got me reading Orphans of the Sky again too. I really wish more books used this setting, because I've started to run out of them.
I learned yesterday that Orphans of the Sky has a sequel and I gotta read it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Maybe one day when I got no other games to play. AoD was crap so I hope this shit is better and plays more like a real game.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
Need to play age of decadence first. Also the game is a bit too expensive for me right now (nothing to do with the price I'm just poor ATM) and I'd feel a bit shitty for pirating an indie CRPG so gonna wait a bit. Will play eventually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom