Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

article: the pc is making consoles obsolete (incline?)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You missed the joke -- read the name of the first website.

Yeesh

Magister
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
bhlaab said:
yeah well consoleauthority.com believes otherwise

Surprising. I'd never have guessed consoleauthority.com would beg to differ.
OK, that was pretty funny.

But as to the article, it's just about advanced graphics. So yeah, that's just where we like our games to be ahead of the curve, right?

torpid

Liturgist
Yeesh said:
bhlaab said:

But as to the article, it's just about advanced graphics. So yeah, that's just where we like our games to be ahead of the curve, right?

Yeah, it's sad that graphics are the sole reason why the PC might return to the forefront. I dream of a developer stating, "our primary platform will be the PC because of the complex AI we want to implement in our game, and the real-time calculations that would bring consoles to their knees." Dwarf Fortress needs to go next-gen so Tarn Adams can make that statement.

Destroid

Arcane
torpid said:
Yeesh said:
bhlaab said:

Yeah, it's sad that graphics are the sole reason why the PC might return to the forefront. I dream of a developer stating, "our primary platform will be the PC because of the complex AI we want to implement in our game, and the real-time calculations that would bring consoles to their knees." Dwarf Fortress needs to go next-gen so Tarn Adams can make that statement.

DF would probably run alright on a console.

Raapys

Arcane
RAM is pretty much the only real problem though. It'll be interesting to see where things are heading with the 'next-gen' console games. I hope/expect the next consoles to have at least 4GB of RAM, hopefully more like 8GB considering how cheap it's become. That should allow games to have more open worlds, less loading zones, etc. If we're lucky they'll also use at least 2GB of video memory, so we'll finally have some decent-quality textures. And if Sony goes for another IBM CPU, it'll likely beat most if not all high-end desktop CPUs when it comes to gaming. At least for a year or so.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
torpid said:
Yeesh said:
bhlaab said:

The "cutting edge" is the cause of the decline, not consoles.

Things are alright again when a developer says that "I didn't give a fuck about the hardware, and instead decided to make a good game, and chose this platform because I personally like playing games like this on it."

If it's all about "pushing the envelope" like it is nowadays, it doesn't matter jack shit if the dominant platform is the PC or a console. The decline is in placing the hardware before the good game.

Raapys

Arcane
At least 'pushing the envelope' is a developer wish. Which is much better than these days' marketing departments practically designing the games being made so that they'll cater to every single being, human or otherwise, on this planet.

Basically, capitalism ruined gaming.

Vaarna_Aarne

And pushing the hardware envelope is one of the basic things the marketing guys are convinced sell games.

Raapys

Arcane
I'm not so sure anymore. It seems to have fallen in priority in these multi-platform days. Take pretty much any recent titles and see how practically none of them are impressive graphics-wise; the original and now old Crysis is still the benchmark really. At best you've had games which have approached it, but mostly you've just been getting completely average-looking multi-platform games the last few years.

Destroid

Arcane
I think they have discovered that they can simply claim to be pushing the hardware envelope and no-one can tell the difference. I'm sure each iteration of CoD etc has touted improved graphics over the last, but I'm doubtful that there was really much change considering they each run on the same hardware.

Vaarna_Aarne

Oh, there is definately improvement between them, since it's really a matter of getting more out of what you've got.

However, it just means loads of money are dumped into optimizing and fine-tuning shit and making new expensive assets.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yeesh said:

We want the PC to be ahead of the curve as a platform. That in itself would bring massive incline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom