Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Asian gamers and RPGs

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wizardry was pretty big in Japan,they even made an anime for it. I also remember seeing "Welcome to the proving grounds of the mad overlord" or something like that in Patlabor, a old mecha anime.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Why don't you join Asia's Finest Discussion forums? I'm not even Asian and I find it very entertaining.

Tintin

Arbiter
Cause they're a bunch of morons.

I've been there a few times, and both times all I saw was losers without girlfriends bitching about how they saw an Asian girl with a White/Black/Hispanic/insert-non-Asian guy.

They also have a fair portion of westernized, white-washed Asians who are undergoing an identity crisis, so they attempt to be overtly nationalistic and anti-Western, despite the fact that if they actually returned to their home country they wouldn't be able to ask where the bathroom is.

Essentially Asia's Finest is the opposite of what it's name promises.

lalilulelo

Novice
Yes, this is my first post, been lurking around for awhile now

No, been an Asian has nothing to do with gaming habits or motion sickness

I'm an Asian myself, I watch animes and I enjoy WRPGs just like every other Caucasian RPG gamer.

I personally find games with crappy camera like NWN 2 to be annoying rather than disorientating.

Saying that being an Aisan makes you more likely to suffer from motion sickness is preposterous at best.

and lets not forget that Asian is a very general word use mainly to describe many different ethnic groups (Chinese, Indian, Korean, Filipino, Japanese, Vietnamese, Sri Lankan, Cambodian and Thai.) in Asia.

Japanese ubernerds on par with Codexers often stick to tactical games made by Koei and other such groups. "RPGs" over there are left to the socially inept dorks.

This is not entirely true, I would assume that ubernerds are refering to the group of individuals who commonly known as Otakus by the west.

instead of tactical games, they love visual novel games, the more famous developers like Type-Moon (Tsukihimei) comes to mind.

these type of games has relatively low production cost compared to WRPG/JRPG and yield quite a profit if successful.

and they usually have at least a decent story unlike many typical JRPGs.

Texas Red

Whiner
"and lets not forget that Asian is a very general word use mainly to describe many different ethnic groups (Chinese, Indian, Korean, Filipino, Japanese, Vietnamese, Sri Lankan, Cambodian and Thai.) in Asia"

You're all the same to us. A race threatening to grab control of the world with your ridiculous breeding.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I don't get motion sickness from most first-person games (though Portal did make me want to puke), but I was bored unto death by Morrowind and Oblivion, does that count?

SanguinePenguin

Scholar
There's fps games in all kinds of cafes in Asia and arcades in Japan.

I'm pretty sure 99% of Asian Finest posters are retarded cracker fags larping.

Tintin

Arbiter
The only thing that sort of makes sense in grouping all "Asians" is Buddhism, which in some way or form has affected the entire continent, from India towards the farthest corner of East Asia (Japan), most of south East-Asia, except the Muslim places, and to some extent in central Asia.

I was looking through the BBC polls the other day on opinions of different countries - the worst scores were between the East Asian countries - in other words they all had lower opinions of each other than any other country in the world.

racofer

Thread Incliner
I imagine looking at a fast moving screen, where the first person camera creates a "fisheye effect", with those small widescreen eyes and approximately 30Âş vertical field of view can induce some strange situations.

Heresiarch

Prophet
I'm an Asian in a country full of tyranny and piracy (bleh, which country isn't so), and not only I started playing FPS since the first Wolfenstein 3D, but also used to frequently play Quake 3 and Counterstrike with friends in cafe with highest mouse sensitivity.

The only games so far gave me motion sickness are Wolfenstein 3D and Halflife 2 (actually Bloodlines at first did that too, head bobbing really really stinks).

Texas Red

Whiner
Lesifoere said:
I don't get motion sickness from most first-person games (though Portal did make me want to puke), but I was bored unto death by Morrowind and Oblivion, does that count?

You're Asian? What's your opinion on the white man, sexually?

desocupado

Magister
The only games so far gave me motion sickness are Wolfenstein 3D and Halflife 2 (actually Bloodlines at first did that too, head bobbing really really stinks

Shit, bloodlines has head bobbing? I was going to play that, and this shit gives me fucking headaches. Stupid fucking developers and their fucking blooms and head-bobbing and stupid fancy stuff.

Radisshu

Prophet
I hope some really demented japanese people make a Koroshiya Ichi-inspired yakuza-BDSM CRPG featuring the SPECIAL system. This will never happen.

racofer

Thread Incliner
desocupado said:
The only games so far gave me motion sickness are Wolfenstein 3D and Halflife 2 (actually Bloodlines at first did that too, head bobbing really really stinks

Shit, bloodlines has head bobbing? I was going to play that, and this shit gives me fucking headaches. Stupid fucking developers and their fucking blooms and head-bobbing and stupid fancy stuff.

IIRC it doesn't, but you can play in third person anyway.

Texas Red

Whiner
Dark Individual said:
Lesifoere said:

You're Asian? What's your opinion on the white man, sexually?

This is a legitimate question, Lez. What do Asian women think of whites?

Do Asian men have an inferiority complex because they're shorter than whites?

sirfink

Scholar
Tintin said:
I originated on the continent called Asia, yes.

I reside in Asia, but did not originate in this dread land. I have no idea what the locals play RPG-wise. Well, they're obsessed with WoW and Starcraft. :roll:

Tintin

Arbiter
sirfink said:
Tintin said:
I originated on the continent called Asia, yes.

I reside in Asia, but did not originate in this dread land. I have no idea what the locals play RPG-wise. Well, they're obsessed with WoW and Starcraft. :roll:

For the love of God, please do not tell me that you are an expat English teacher.

Lemunde

Scholar
Asians get motion sickness? We're talking about the same guys who made F-Zero X right?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Tintin said:
For the love of God, please do not tell me that you are an expat English teacher.

I don't know about where you live, but in my country, there's an amazing number of expats who belong squarely to the stereotype of the condescending, ethnocentric, smug fuckwad westerner. They bring nothing, contribute nothing, and are invariably spoiled, lazy, and in general wastes of oxygen--they're the eternally obnoxious tourists despite having stayed in the country for a decade or more. Whine how things just aren't like they are back home, how the food's too spicy or whatever for their delicate precious innards, how the locals are so uneducated and dirty, not like people back home, wah, wah, baaaawww. I wish they'd get the fuck out or get magically deported already.

(Not saying that all expats are like this, though.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom