Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Asking for a favor from the Hivemind

Hormalakh

Magister
Josh should be annakin surely? "The one who will bring the balance" and all that.

gif possibilities include:

-Josh killing younglings with codex troll heads saying things like "muh immersion" or "such balance" as they die
-Josh choking Padme with the PoE logo replacing her head
-Feargus as emperor telling Darth Josh his next project will be based on D&D rules leading to "Nooooooooooo" etc
-Avellone/Obi Wan asking Fargo/Yoda for permission to train young Sawyer, Fargo says "know anything about mobile games do you?"

Is Josh an immersion guy? He seems like a 'gamey' is better than realism person.
No. he's a game-ist.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Kinda puzzled how badly people here of all places understand how IE (or BG2 mostly) combat works, tbh
QFT

Yes, it is surprising how many shitty players are among the codex, even old members.

Most blatant examples I've seen:

- Talking about how awesome JA2 combat is, than bringing up some detail about it that makes it obvious they only played the game for a few hours.
- Praising Fallout Tactics as an awesome tactical combat game.
- Discussing BG2 mechanics while obviously not playing it beyond normal difficulty and usually only once.
- Bashing Gothic1/2 for its controls.

It's not the majority but it is a surprisingly large segment.

And then there is Roguey and the Roguey clones who have supreme confidence in arguing theoretics while not actually having played shit. But that's just teenage hormones I guess.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What does BG have? At least:

(Improved) Invisibility vs. detection spells/skills
Various spell protections (Globe of Invulnerability, Spell Trap, ...) vs. various spell protection removal spells (Ruby Ray, Spell Thrust, Secret Word...)
Protection from Magic Weapons / Normal Weapons / Fire / Cold / Acid / Electricity / Magic Energy, Mantle, Improved Mantle, Absolute Immunity, Chaotic Commands, Resist Fear, Free Action, ... vs. relevant effect - then Breach against said spells.
Or Dispel Magic against any of above.

Cutting down the amount of these various damage- and effect types would be sensible, different elements were not that different in IE.

Kinda puzzled how badly people here of all places understand how IE (or BG2 mostly) combat works, tbh

You seem to have misunderstood. I said Baldur's Gate, not Baldur's Gate 2. The vast majority of PoE will be somewhat-reminiscent of the BG and early-to-midgame IWD 1/2 experience, considering those are the levels it's covering. Revise your list please.

- Discussing BG2 mechanics while obviously not playing it beyond normal difficulty and usually only once.
There's no reason to play BG2 beyond core (with convenience tweaks because fuck random HP and spell learning failure) because anything above is just more-damage crap.

Johannes

Arcane
What does BG have? At least:

(Improved) Invisibility vs. detection spells/skills
Various spell protections (Globe of Invulnerability, Spell Trap, ...) vs. various spell protection removal spells (Ruby Ray, Spell Thrust, Secret Word...)
Protection from Magic Weapons / Normal Weapons / Fire / Cold / Acid / Electricity / Magic Energy, Mantle, Improved Mantle, Absolute Immunity, Chaotic Commands, Resist Fear, Free Action, ... vs. relevant effect - then Breach against said spells.
Or Dispel Magic against any of above.

Cutting down the amount of these various damage- and effect types would be sensible, different elements were not that different in IE.

You seem to have misunderstood. I said Baldur's Gate, not Baldur's Gate 2. The vast majority of PoE will be somewhat-reminiscent of the BG and early-to-midgame IWD 1/2 experience, considering those are the levels it's covering. Revise your list please.

Most of the spells mentioned might be out but the concepts are still in. (Improved) Invisibility and detection is. Spell protections - Minor Glove of Invulnerability is in (and used by a fair amount of enemies). Elemental protection spells are in. Paralysis, Charm, Hold Monster, Web, Horror etc etc are very much in, as are Remove Paralysis, Resist Fear, Chaotic Commands, Free Action, and so on. Dispel Magic is in. Then there's a large variety of potions and arrows that do similar effects.

Of course BG1 is not the best thing to fully emulate, Dispel Arrows for example ease the game way too much. If you want the best possible game, you don't directly emulate that but take BG2 and bring its concepts to a lower level environment.

There's no reason to play BG2 beyond core (with convenience tweaks because fuck random HP and spell learning failure) because anything above is just more-damage crap.
The hard difficulties may only adjust HP's but it's still interesting to play since due to the hard counter nature of the game, you can usually avoid taking any damage at all if you play well. The difficulty setting changes how many mistakes you're allowed per combat.

Then there's mods like SCS, which is obviously a totally different story altogether - makes the enemies smarter.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Really, BGT with SCS is by far the most enjoyable way to play the series. I can't remember the last time I played vanilla BG/BG2. In that sense, a lot of PoE combat will probably be improved with mods provided the game gains enough popularity to support modders. However, the banal shit boring nature of magic, leveling, itemization won't be and that's a shame.

UglyBastard

Arcane
I never understood the bitching about the Gothic controls.
Yes, they are a bit unusual, but once you get the hang of it they do just fine and actually feel pretty good. The only exception is when facing multiple enemies (which should be avoided anyway, if possible).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
(Improved) Invisibility and detection is.

Reload metgaming garbage. Who bothers to waste a spell slot on detect invisibility or invisibility purge on the off-chance that you'll run into a wizard who casts it?

Spell protections - Minor Glove of Invulnerability is in (and used by a fair amount of enemies).

Minor Arcane Reflection – Spells are deflected back to the caster.

Elemental protection spells are in.

Bulwark Against The Elements – increases the caster's damage threshold for burn, freeze, corrode and shock.
Fire Shield – Increases the freeze damage threshold of the caster and inflicts burn damage to any enemy that hits the caster.
Woodskin – Creates a thick layer of bark over allies in the area of effect, affording them a Damage Threshold bonus to Pierce, Burn and Shock.
Seven Men, Onto the Deck They Went – Allies in the area of effect gain a bonus to Freeze and Shock Damage Thresholds, and a bonus to defense against the Prone affliction.
Not Felled by Axe, Nor Broken by Storm – Increases allied Slash and Shock Damage Threshold.

Paralysis, Charm, Hold Monster, Web, Horror etc etc are very much in, as are Remove Paralysis, Resist Fear, Chaotic Commands, Free Action, and so on. Dispel Magic is in.

Paralyzed
–40 Deflection
–40 Reflex
–100 Dexterity

Chanter At the Sound of His Voice, the Killers Froze Stiff
Cipher Mental Binding
Druid Hold Beasts
Wizard Arkemyr's Capricious Hex
Fetid Caress

Charmed
–25 Melee Accuracy
Alliance flipped
–25 Will
–25 Deflection
–25 Reflex
–25 Fortitude
x0.75 Attack Speed
–25 Ranged Accuracy

Chanter The Lover Cried out to the Beloved, "I am Yours!"
Cipher Ringleader
Whisper of Treason
Druid Charm Beast

Dominated
Alliance flipped

Cipher Puppet Master
Ringleader

Stuck
–20 Deflection
–20 Reflex
–5 Ranged Accuracy
–5 Melee Accuracy
–2 Dexterity
Immobilized

Cipher Mental Binding
Priest Halt
Ranger Binding Roots

Frightened
–2 Dexterity
–2 Resolve
–10 Melee Accuracy
–10 Ranged Accuracy

Barbarian Barbaric Yell
Chanter Lo, Their Endless Host, the Harbingers Doom
Cipher Tenuous Grasp
Secret Horrors
Druid Venombloom
Priest Divine Terror

Terrified

Barbarian Barbaric Shout
Chanter Reny Daret's Ghost Spake, "I'll Catch You, Ben Fidel"
Druid Nature's Terror
Wizard Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage
Ryngrim's Enervating Terror

Arcane Dampener – Suppresses all beneficial effects to all enemies in the area.

Prayer against Fear – Grants a bonus to resist any attack containing the Frightened or Terrified afflictions. If those afflictions are already on the target, their durations are reduced.
Suppress Affliction – Hostile Effects are suspended for a short duration.
Prayer against Infirmity– Grants a bonus to resist any attack containing the Weakened or Sickened afflictions. If those afflictions are already on the target, their durations are reduced.
Prayer against Restraint – Grants a bonus to resist any attack containing the Hobbled or Stuck afflictions. If those afflictions are already on the target, their durations are reduced by 10 seconds for Hobbled or 5 seconds for Stuck.
Prayer against Bewilderment – Grants a bonus to resist any attack containing the Dazed or Confused afflictions. If those afflictions are already on the target, their durations are reduced.
Prayer Against Imprisonment – Instills a spirit of liberation in allies in the area of effect, granting a bonus against attacks with Paralyzed or Petrified afflictions and reducing the duration of any such afflictions currently on the target.
Prayer Against Treachery – Galvanizes the devotion of the party, granting bonuses against attacks with Charm or Dominate afflictions as well as reducing the duration of any such afflictions already on the target.

Liberating Exhortation - Commands an ally to temporarily ignore existing hostile effects for a short duration. After a short duration, the effects resume with the duration they had before they were suspended.

One Dozen Stood Against the Power of the Saint – Decreases the duration of and defends against Frightened and terrified on allies.
Shatters their Shackles, Cast of their Chains! – Decreases duration of and defends against Hobbled, Petrified, Stuck and Paralyzed.

Yeah, you can't be completely immune to anything. Too bad. High-level D:OS is a pretty good example of why that's a bad thing, and they agreed as far as player characters go, patching it out themselves.

Of course BG1 is not the best thing to fully emulate, Dispel Arrows for example ease the game way too much. If you want the best possible game, you don't directly emulate that but take BG2 and bring its concepts to a lower level environment.

In the history of D&D no one has ever tried to do that despite the grognards' love of godking spellcasters, because it's a bad idea.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'm sorry but what was the point of that post? I missed it.

Sure there are debuffs, but it's usually IME always pointless to bother trying to suppress them. Things die faster and you take less damage by simply pouring on the DPS.

Shevek

Arcane
(Improved) Invisibility and detection is.
Reload metgaming garbage. Who bothers to waste a spell slot on detect invisibility or invisibility purge on the off-chance that you'll run into a wizard who casts it?

Lol, didn't read after that. The answer is - anyone who is not a complete shithead.

I didnt bother with detect invis in a spell slot. Why would I? I always bring an inquisitor (true sight!).

Shevek

Arcane
One of the reasons I didnt play as evil is that I couldnt use some of my favorite classes. I used an inquisitor, archer and cleric/ranger in all my custom parties.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Josh should be annakin surely? "The one who will bring the balance" and all that.

-Josh killing younglings with codex troll heads saying things like "muh immersion" or "such balance" as they die
-Feargus as emperor telling Darth Josh his next project will be based on D&D rules leading to "Nooooooooooo" etc
-Avellone/Obi Wan asking Fargo/Yoda for permission to train young Sawyer, Fargo says "know anything about mobile games do you?"

muds_animal_friend

Weasel

Like the sound of those, but think I'll leave the gifs to the gif-master, muds_animal_friend
Still, I couldn't help doing more Sawyer and Roguey in space:

1xiA2Ju.jpg

A lonely hipster gazed to the horizon, dreaming of better things
zFdywmE.jpg

JS: "There's got to be more to life than moderating a forum and criticising every RPG in existence.."

---

But plans were in motion which would change his life forever:
JkBeDIU.jpg

Roguey: "You've served me well, my faithful bot. Seek out Josh Sawyer on the planet of Blackisle and deliver this vital message."

Continued in spoiler:

Josh had to deal with a lot of bots in his line of work, but this one seemed different somehow
uSfDZ92.jpg

JS: "Ah, now what is this, an Easter Egg? Oh wow, a beautiful transvestite!"
Roguey: "You were bred for a higher purpose Josh. Seek out Obi-Tim Cainobi, he has much to teach you. This bot contains a message which will tempt him away from Blackisle. Go with him and be ready to seize power when he falters."
JS: "Old Tim Cainobi?. What a weirdo, dude doesn't even have any tats."

---

But Obi-Tim lived in a dangerous area
5dgfyRH.jpg

---

qWD8xDT.jpg

JS: "Thank God you were here to save us Tim, those Sand-Andhaira's sure fight dirty. Look, the rest are running away."
O-T: "We'd better get inside, they'll be back soon. Your forum passcodes are irresistable to them."

---

53lPM2S.jpg

Roguey
: "You must save me, I'm trapped on the Grognard Death Star, besieged by hard counters. Help me Obi-Tim Cainobi, you're my only hope."
O-T: "We must do our duty. Come, I have sufficient bitcoins to charter a fast ship."

---

Obi-Tim's arcane powers were enough to get them into the spaceport
ooeIzAm.jpg

---

VfGySzb.jpg

O-T
: "They say your ship is faster than she looks, Captain Avellone. We are in need of urgent passage off-planet."
MCA: "Sure, we can take you. But not today. Today is a drinking day."

---

XBP3o6Z.jpg

JS
: "Anyone for a pnp session? Got some awesome new houserules for muscle wizards."
MCA: "Shut it kid, nobody cares. Make yourself useful and grab me a beer."

---

After Obi-Tim sacrificed himself to save Roguey..
9omCJCF.jpg

JS: "Are you just happy to see me Roguey, or is that a lightsaber in your robes?"
Roguey: "Transphobic pig! I shall be quoting you on that."

---

But dark forces moved against them. Dark, twisted and depraved forces.
4j1YDep.jpg

Darth Gayder: "Where are you my son? I can feel your presence, the Balance is strong in you."

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm sorry but what was the point of that post? I missed it.

Sure there are debuffs, but it's usually IME always pointless to bother trying to suppress them. Things die faster and you take less damage by simply pouring on the DPS.

As I've said, the numbers haven't been tuned.

Additionally you're complaining about what Brennecke has referred to as "~5%" of the game in terms of content. No, they're not going to show you all their tricks in that one area. More extreme myopia from Sensuki.

muds_animal_friend
I've 24 days o' shite to finish first, but Josh will return to menace the free world with his deadly orbital game balance ray of doom in the new year.

joshfeld-1.jpg

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
So it looks like Anthony Davis left this thread with his tail between his legs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom