Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Asking for a favor from the Hivemind

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
That makes sense for Sawyer IMO. I haven't played Blood Money but I've played Hitman 2. The Hitman games are games where you can muck around and try different things to complete the missions. You can shoot everyone in the level with a machine gun, or kill no one and slowly sneak around and plant a bottle of poison or something. From what I gather that's the type of gameplay Sawyer enjoys, where you can just muck around with the gameplay.

It's probably a shame that he'll overlook that aspect of D:OS because of the system design.

I've also clocked many hours on steam in games by just leaving them open in the menu.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From what I gather that's the type of gameplay Sawyer enjoys, where you can just muck around with the gameplay.

I would say that these are the sorts of games enjoyed by many people looking for a relatively context-free "switch off my brain" escapist experience after a long day at work.

(it's weird how that works - you'd think a more linear/focused game would be easier to get into for somebody who only plays a bit at a time, but it seems like for lots of people they aren't)

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I would say that these are the sorts of games enjoyed by many people looking for a relatively context-free "switch off my brain" escapist experience after a long day at work.
So the mentally exhausted from work type of people, yes, but also the braindead type of people as well.

So which is it in Sawyer's case?? Oh the enigma of it...

Ninjerk

Arcane
There's a quote by a Bioware designer to that effect that annoyed me when I read it. Something about not wanting to make hard decisions because they've been making hard decisions all day and something-something smoke a bowl or something and relax.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Maybe he played it a lot because Blood Money is one of the best games of all time?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Last night JES made a reference to the massive amount of time he's spent on Blood Money at Something Awful. Wonder if it's a coincidence or if he checked out this thread.

There's a quote by a Bioware designer to that effect that annoyed me when I read it. Something about not wanting to make hard decisions because they've been making hard decisions all day and something-something smoke a bowl or something and relax.
You're thinking of Patrick Weekes.
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15098&postcount=32

When I come home from a long day at work, make dinner, clean up after dinner, and help put my little dude to bed, I've got about half an hour to do something on my own time before it's time for me to do evening chores and head for bed. I'm not looking for a sword-holding simulation complete with gangrenous leg wounds and a terrifying fear of combat. I'm looking to be the hero who whacks bad guys. I'm looking for comfort in the realm of the heroic. Yes, it's an indulgence, because I spent $60 Canadian to indulge myself. It's only a shallow indulgence if it's badly written.

Hormalakh

Magister
LOL @ "long day at work."

I make games all day - life's hard.

This is in contrast, by the way, to the "old school" mentality and design paradigms of the 80's and 90's. Computer games weren't a place where people went to turn their brains off.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
LOL @ "long day at work."

I make games all day - life's hard.

This is in contrast, by the way, to the "old school" mentality and design paradigms of the 80's and 90's. Computer games weren't a place where people went to turn their brains off.

Eh. Well, even if the Interplay days, they were basically slaves, and in the broader game industry its only gotten worse.

Stuff Tim Cain and co. had to do to ship Fallout, even truckers would be challenged to match.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh, who knows? Maybe RPG developers in the 1980s went home and played Pacman and Space Invaders.

Though it's equally likely that they didn't play anything at all! I've spoken before about how its only in the second generation of game development where the fans have become the developers.

Last edited:

Hormalakh

Magister
yet I believe pacman and space invaders did much more to further the gaming genre than skyrim.

yeah yea, call me "edgy." These "new school" games will be soon forgotten when it comes to those that are considered "classic" precisely because they're the garbage-bin collection when compared to true masterpieces.

It's rare for games to be much more than "What pays the bills" these days. Old devs really put a piece of themselves in those games. These are just the new pulp of the century.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Skyrim sold over 20 million and is still topping the Steam concurrent players list which is otherwise filled with multiplayer, it's not going to be forgotten.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Or maybe he received as many nuggets of information as he was seeking and decided to spend his time actually programming instead of spending his time on the forums. Cleve could probably take a lesson or two there.
At least Cleve finished his donut game. :ibelieveincleve:

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Skyrim sold over 20 million and is still topping the Steam concurrent players list which is otherwise filled with multiplayer, it's not going to be forgotten.

It's also banal, shit and boring. Wait, why are we even talking about Skyrim on the Codex? Who cares about Skyrim?

Mozart and Salieri all over again. We'll see if people remember Skyrim in 20 years.

Look at this list. According to that list, Rollercoaster Tycoon rapes PST and pretty much every other good, memorable game released in 1999 in the ass. However, RCT is hardly the game from 1999 that people talk about today. You should think about this. :nocountryforshitposters:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Rollercoaster Tycoon is a fondly remembered series with 3 entries that yes people still talk about and play today.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's also banal, shit and boring. Wait, why are we even talking about Skyrim on the Codex? Who cares about Skyrim?

Tim Cain and Josh Sawyer.

Look at this list. According to that list, Rollercoaster Tycoon rapes PST and pretty much every other good, memorable game released in 1999 in the ass. However, RCT is hardly the game from 1999 that people talk about today. You should think about this. :nocountryforshitposters:

Torment came out in December 1999 and it's also a pretty lousy game. Looks like Rollercoaster Tycoon is still considered a classic.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tim Cain and Josh Sawyer.

You know, that really breaks my heart to hear because those are people I respect.

In any case, they are probably doing all they can to try to win additional contracts from Bethesda, which is sensible, I guess. Proven familiarity with Skyrim would be a big plus.

Torment came out in December 1999 and it's also a pretty lousy game.

:killit: 0/10. If I wanted to go to a place where people argue for the lasting qualities of Skyrim while saying Torment is a pretty lousy game I would not go to the Codex. Putting you on ignore for this banal, shit, boring Skyrim stuff.

Rollercoaster Tycoon is a fondly remembered series with 3 entries that yes people still talk about and play today.

The point was not about RCT specifically. In fact, I played it myself only a few days ago and that is why it came to mind first when I thought about sales numbers. RCT is still orders of magnitude less interesting than Torment.

If not the classic Mozart and Salieri example was enough, you could just as well take any of the other games on that list, say, "Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2". Sold far more than PST, but how do they compare in fame today?

Eh, in any case this point should be pretty obvious, I should probably not even bother to give an example.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Maybe he is like everyone else and downloads mods or play Requiem ?
If you're referring to Cain, he bought Skryim on release and completed it within a couple of months, before any big mods could come out. Josh did the same (except he ignored the main quest after the beginning), though he came back for a bit in 2013.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom