Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is this the kind of game where you can beat it all the way through without much prior knowledge, or do you need a highly optimized build like in underrail? I'm planning to play on the equivalent of 'hard' difficulty for my first run.

The former

Darth Canoli

Arcane
There aren't many Fallout 1/2 fans recently as I knew, good to hear there are still enough for a good game.

You're on the Codex, you could close your eyes, throw a stick and hit a Fallout 1 fan.
Not that there isn't some Millennials Faggout 3/4 minions as well but still, anyone who can make a coherent post and explain what he likes in a game around here is a Fallout 1 fan.

Is this the kind of game where you can beat it all the way through without much prior knowledge, or do you need a highly optimized build like in underrail? I'm planning to play on the equivalent of 'hard' difficulty for my first run.

That's what I did, the early game can be pretty rough but I think the difficulty has been unfortunately toned down a little.
Planning is easier since all the perks are visible and there isn't as many as in underrail, just focus on one weapon and then one defensive branch and you'll be fine, end game isn't tough at all.

bobocrunch

Educated
playing through dead city now and god damn has the game peaked, the more focused setting and overlapping world maps add a lot to the game and the exploration is fuckin amazing. hope it's a taste of what trudograd is like, because i wasnt really a fan of the whole mushroom plotline

bobocrunch

Educated
edit: realized this was the trudograd thread but oh well

just finished up the first game, enjoyed it overall and agree on the 7-8/10 rating. rough around the edges on some parts but genius in others, it was worth playing just for the gun variety for me. for being a russian indie game im surprised at how well the grammar and writing came off, there were times it was stiff but it was at most 2% of the lines and half of them were probably intentionally cheesy or just memes. the side stories were interesting too, some of the more basic quests were made up for with spiced up ones like the fucked up tunnel family among tons of others, i like how realistically edgy it got at times
last battle was super fun and tough, ended up planting 3 explosives and baiting around a corner in the hallway because of how easily they'd kill me
no idea how people get high levels, did everything i could see and only ended at 17

i ended up logic and facting the mushroom people and telling them that people would fight against their plan, so thats neat even though i really didnt care about those people. red fighter fell apart which i assume is because i didnt pour money into it but i had to pay off caravan mercs with 15k

end stats (drugged out)
wHLIH7Q.png
QC2B3i2.png

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
In all honesty, I'd even recommend Trudograd to people who disliked the original ATOM. It's an improvement in almost every area.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Lets see how things goes. :M

Build:
gEWaifW.png

edit: I picked Unlucky optimist instead of Sex appeal.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
This game has quite bit of reactive towards a female character. Already incline in my book :M

Humbaba

Arcane
problem with luck is there's very little benefit unless you're at max luck

Depends. There are tons of items that boost luck. My guy had base 7 luck. To get past the final fight I drank myself stupid on vodka to have 3 intelligence and 9 luck, then put on a rabbit foot to get 10 luck. I am not sure if you can boost other stats as easily. Are there mentats even?

Codex Year of the Donut
problem with luck is there's very little benefit unless you're at max luck

Depends. There are tons of items that boost luck. My guy had base 7 luck. To get past the final fight I drank myself stupid on vodka to have 3 intelligence and 9 luck, then put on a rabbit foot to get 10 luck. I am not sure if you can boost other stats as easily. Are there mentats even?
each of the alcohols stack independently and 5/6 of them give +luck, meaning any character can temporarily get +11 luck
there's no int boost consumable afaik, maybe one of the % chance side effects has an int boost

more of a probably unintended/broken mechanic tho, you should pass out or something if you try to chug that much alcohol

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Ngl. I didn't noticed until 7h in that you have to actually ask NPCs names otherwise you will never know their names.

Nice attention to detail.

Codex Year of the Donut
Going back over the game a bit to collect my thoughts for a review... eventually..

Atomboy are there any plans to do a balance pass with regards to perks("abilities")?

Here's how I ended the game doing(AFAIK) essentially all content. These screenshots are taken right before the game ends in the very last room after the last battle. I'm level 20, I can't see a way to pick difficulty but I'm pretty sure I picked whatever the hardest is.
Screenshot-2022-03-19-16-54-04.jpg

While my main character grabbed a few, it's still not that many. Capping perk cost at 3 or making it based on distance from center would probably help in this regard. I don't think perks felt overly strong for having a couple more.

Let's check in on Dzhulbars
Screenshot-2022-03-19-16-57-28.jpg

Level 13, big gap between him and my character.
Even if I didn't grab that bottom left perk, I wouldn't have filled out the top right. Mind you, this is taken at the very end of the game with no content left.

And still, many of them are very weak.
image.png

10%? That's incredibly tiny, especially for the investment needed. 30-45% would be more than fair enough for how much damage he takes. In most fights I have him running away just to prevent him from dying!
image.png

Same deal here. I hate perks that are just minor bonuses.
How much is 3 dodge, you ask?
image.png

10% dodge bonus, and it gets worse the higher level you are.

BTW, I like that Dzhulbars has his own perk tree. Very cool. I heard the slave does too, didn't check. Would be nice if the other three at least had a few unique perks locked to them.

--
Additionally as a tip since I don't think the game mentions this anywhere, if you open the context menu on a party member during combat you can issue commands to them. Works at any time, not just during your turn.
Screenshot-2022-03-19-17-05-55.jpg

VERY useful for focusing fire, keeping allies alive, etc.,

Atomboy another suggestion for both ATOM and Trudograd: right-click instant context menu. Both games have it available as a mod(highly recommended), consider integrating it into the base game. Having to hold left click for context menu is strange for a PC game.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Atomboy are there any plans to do a balance pass with regards to perks("abilities")?
IIRC there are no plans on porting TG perk system to first game. Which is sad. Atom 1 had a horribly designed perk system. Amount of perk points you get is gated behind difficulty. Devs said it's fine coz it makes the game more difficult but this is the most lazy and unfun way to do it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom