Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Attempting to finish Baldur's Gate for the 7TH TIME!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why would you kill Drizzt? :(I couldn't bring myself to do that.

Sorry, I'm a sucker for that character, I like him too much in the in the books.

Cynic

Arcane
Because he is just so contrite. Oh yeah a "good" Drow. FFS.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Because he is just so contrite. Oh yeah a "good" Drow. FFS.
Er, how is he contrite exactly? Admittedly I'm not terribly familiar with the character but I don't recall him ever expressing much guilt about anything.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Elric eats Drizzt's soul on breakfast.

Drizzt is just a good guy that got born in a civilization of evil which naturally provides him with a lot of problems.

GreyViper

Prophet
Overall its worth to take him out, since he had the boots of speed and the +3/+5LG swords. Another thing that should be worth mentioning is the Claw of Kazgaroth, I used to soooo adore this item. Its like you could play your own ring wright, mind you I later found out its just permanent blur effect, but what ever I had my fun. Btw Cyric try out the Undead Hunter kit and let me know how well it preforms in BG1.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Trash Fantasy novels don't have much standards to begin with.
But Salvatore is a'right.
I liked the first three Drizzit novels the best. Then it was a downhill ride with retcons, character rape [Drizzit mutating from a stoic old wise martial arts master (like from Kickboxer or Karate Kid) into a tortured lost type], way too much situations where the reader/party is led to believe that some character is dead only to turn out that he isn't, etc.

Cynic

Arcane
Bros, I turned down Edwin at Nashkel because I my Neutral character thought murder without reasons was a bit much. Does that mean I can never get him again? I don't want Minsc, his stats fucking suck and he is annoying as hell. Right now the party is Khalid, Jaheira, Imoen and Kivan. I'm a fighter/cleric, need some offensive spellcasting.

visions

Arcane
Get that female wizard Minsc wants to rescue. They can't be separated while alive but let Minsc get killed and never revive him and keep the wizard.

waywardOne

Arcane
Unless you've got a tweak mod that changes it, if an NPC walks off the screen and doesn't say otherwise, they're gone forever. I think you can CLUA him back in, though.

There's also Xan at the end of the Nashkel mines.

visions

Arcane
IIRC Xan was an enchanter, so he couldn't cast fireball and such (which were from the evocation school).

Johannes

Arcane
Either get the black chick or dual Imoen to wizard.

Xan has a nice sword, but that doesn't really matter so much. He sucks.

waywardOne

Arcane
Forgot. A mod I have reworks the schools. Levels 1-3 aren't restricted.

Cynic

Arcane
Hmm I didn't know about the letting Minsc just die thing...damn I just kicked both him and Dynaheir out at the Gnoll Fortress. Now I have Branwen, Jaheira and myself all casting cleric/druid spells and no mage. Xan can't cast evocation spells huh? Shit. Any other mages? I also pissed off Xzar and his little partner as well. Prefer not to cheat at all...I am KIND of trying to role play it somewhat so in that sense it is right that I don't have Edwin. Maybe it will be an interesting challenge to play without Fireball for once. I can still use wands I guess.

Edit: Dual classing Imoen to wizard is an option. What is the recommended level for that? Level 6? Or just wait till I have 100 open locks and 100 detect traps?

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Six user-created characters and kicking the whining Bioware limpets to the curb is the way to go. My character has high charisma, therefore he made five very good friends at Candlekeep. It is but a happy coincidence that they make up the most cheesily powerful characters in the world.

Johannes

Arcane
Hmm I didn't know about the letting Minsc just die thing...damn I just kicked both him and Dynaheir out at the Gnoll Fortress. Now I have Branwen, Jaheira and myself all casting cleric/druid spells and no mage. Xan can't cast evocation spells huh? Shit. Any other mages? I also pissed off Xzar and his little partner as well. Prefer not to cheat at all...I am KIND of trying to role play it somewhat so in that sense it is right that I don't have Edwin. Maybe it will be an interesting challenge to play without Fireball for once. I can still use wands I guess.

Edit: Dual classing Imoen to wizard is an option. What is the recommended level for that? Level 6? Or just wait till I have 100 open locks and 100 detect traps?
Hmm, can classes beyond wizards and bards use arcane wands? I'm pretty sure not. The potions that have a similar effect are usable by everyone though.

Lvl 6 is a long wait, if you just only finished the gnoll fort. For every level you wait, you get ~1hp more, and the thieving skill points. Proficiency point at 4th lvl and 3x backstab multiplier at 5. Thac0 and saving throw advantages from thief last only a level or 2.
The thieving skillpoints seem like the only truly meaningful of those, and you don't need 100 in those skills to clear everything in bg1 I think... I wouldn't wait for too long to get a proper spellcaster, 5th lvl switch at the latest. Would be a pain in the ass to tackle every area until 6th lvl, before getting even a lvl 1 wizard.

Revenant

There is a frequent bug in BG1 where characters that left the area reappear after reload, either near the edge of the map or in their original place. You could go back to Nashkel and check out Edwin, maybe he's standing on the bridge once more. I don't know if any unofficial patches fix this, though.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Xan can't cast evocation spells huh? Shit.
You can finish game without them. Fill your first level spells with Sleep, second with Web, third with Hold Person and Skull Trap, forth with Confusion and monster summoning, fith with Chaos/Hold Monster or something.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Don't remember what the optimal level is (where is kmonster when we need him?).
But I'd wait until getting a new thief. A good thief is needed for scouting, and detecting and disarming traps, while Fireballs is not that important if you don't use the Sword Coast Strategems mod. You can make do with wands.
Coran is your best bet for a new thief. You can also use Safana as a temporary thief untill meeting Coran, but she's rather useless at anything besides being sensual.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Six user-created characters and kicking the whining Bioware limpets to the curb is the way to go. My character has high charisma, therefore he made five very good friends at Candlekeep. It is but a happy coincidence that they make up the most cheesily powerful characters in the world.
I second this.

But one needs to choose "maximum hp for all creatures" when installing BG Tweaks and move the difficulty slider one or two notches to the right when doing so, otherwise the game becomes way too easy.

My other advice would also be to skip BG completely and go straight to BG2;)

Cynic

Arcane
Bros, I am also noticing that I am gaining levels VERY fast. What is the meaning of this? Like it seems a bit crazy. I have had a 5 or 6 party team almost the whole time and my dude is already 3/3/ fighter/cleric and Imoen is lv5. Khalid is Lv4. I've done almost all the side quests but at this rate I'll be lv5 before going into Nashkel. Fights seem...not TOO easy, still potential to die, but for the most part I am smashing them. Could any of the mods have done this? I only installed what was recommended on the gog forum page for recommended mods.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom