Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Cringe 3 compilation thread

Melcar

Arcane
Another cringe of BG3: why are goblins Lawful Evil instead of Neutral Evil (which they have always been in the past)?

My brother and I were scratching our heads when we realized we could just talk our way into the goblin camp instead of killing them all. Since when do goblins just let strangers wander around their villages like this? This is not D&D.
LOL does it actually state that they're Lawful Evil?

That would be the most hilarious lore retcon ever. Thieving, murdering little shits who care about societal structures.
It's because of the Absolute religion, which is a convenient excuse to erase borders and make all these various races tolerate each other and get along "for the greater good". You'll see bugbears, ogre, etc, also behaving this way.

Regardless of whether there is a story reason for this, this change to the way classically mindless evil monsters behave feels totally alien to the Dungeons & Dragons setting this game is supposed to portray. And, yeah, I think "The Absolute" is just a convenient excuse to have talking furries everywhere.

I made the comparison earlier that BG3 really feels like Guardians of the Galaxy (or one of the latter Marvel movies). Every creature you can imagine talks and behaves like just another NPC to be recruited or negotiated with. That's not the spirit of D&D to me, I don't care what spin you try to put on it. You've betrayed the very core of this gaming system.

D&D to me was the dichotomy between the mundane and the fantastical and the interaction between the two. Sane humanoids gather a party to delve into a dungeon (a hellish place of evil) to kill stuff and get their loot. That's ultimately what the core of the game is. BG1 & BG2 basically followed this model. BG3 does not.
I think that change was starting around the time 3E came along. Admittedly is was at that time centered on more special creatures. Nearly every evil bad guy in D&D now had a purpose and personality.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Another cringe of BG3: why are goblins Lawful Evil instead of Neutral Evil (which they have always been in the past)?

My brother and I were scratching our heads when we realized we could just talk our way into the goblin camp instead of killing them all. Since when do goblins just let strangers wander around their villages like this? This is not D&D.
LOL does it actually state that they're Lawful Evil?

That would be the most hilarious lore retcon ever. Thieving, murdering little shits who care about societal structures.
It's because of the Absolute religion, which is a convenient excuse to erase borders and make all these various races tolerate each other and get along "for the greater good". You'll see bugbears, ogre, etc, also behaving this way.

Regardless of whether there is a story reason for this, this change to the way classically mindless evil monsters behave feels totally alien to the Dungeons & Dragons setting this game is supposed to portray. And, yeah, I think "The Absolute" is just a convenient excuse to have talking furries everywhere.

I made the comparison earlier that BG3 really feels like Guardians of the Galaxy (or one of the latter Marvel movies). Every creature you can imagine talks and behaves like just another NPC to be recruited or negotiated with. That's not the spirit of D&D to me, I don't care what spin you try to put on it. You've betrayed the very core of this gaming system.

D&D to me was the dichotomy between the mundane and the fantastical and the interaction between the two. Sane humanoids gather a party to delve into a dungeon (a hellish place of evil) to kill stuff and get their loot. That's ultimately what the core of the game is. BG1 & BG2 basically followed this model. BG3 does not.
I think that change was starting around the time 3E came along. Admittedly is was at that time centered on more special creatures. Nearly every evil bad guy in D&D now had a purpose and personality.

Interesting. So does BG3 do away with raycissm? No more evil goblins with evil alignments and such? Last I heard they were hinting at this shit with R.A Salvatore and his shitty books that I've read. Almost all of them anyway.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Interesting. So does BG3 do away with raycissm? No more evil goblins with evil alignments and such? Last I heard they were hinting at this shit with R.A Salvatore and his shitty books that I've read. Almost all of them anyway.
WOTC was accused of racism so they recently made a change where all humanoids are unaligned by default, no more evil races, and BG3 follows suit. In the next edition of D&D orcs are one of the default player species (they're no longer called races), and are very different from how they used to be

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
WOTC was accused of racism so they recently made a change where all humanoids are unaligned by default, no more evil races, and BG3 follows suit. In the next edition of D&D orcs are one of the default player species (they're no longer called races), and are very different from how they used to be

And we have a winner for the biggest cringe of all. I bet they didn't even explain it similiar to Time of Troubles? It was just my imagination that all the orcs wanted my 2nd edition characters dead. When they were charging at them with weapons drawn, it was just their way of gardening or something.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist

We have to think about these evil races in the same equal light as good races. They have wives and children and families and aspirations and feelings. If you kill an orc, you've taken food off the table of their orclings, *gasp*. All woke bullshit (immigrants are no longer "illegal" anymore, they're just poor people looking for help) seeping into fantasy that never needed to deal with that.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
We have to think about these evil races in the same equal light as good races. They have wives and children and families and aspirations and feelings. If you kill an orc, you've taken food off the table of their orclings, *gasp*. All woke bullshit (immigrants are no longer "illegal" anymore, they're just poor people looking for help) seeping into fantasy that never needed to deal with that.
And even after this BG3 is still being accused of racist bioessentialism and antisemitism. I'm not really sure how people saying that could ever be pleased in a million years. A single character having a long nose or a single non-human doing anything that could be construed as negative is racist to them, it's insane.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
how do you actually get the infamous bear sex? Do you have to romance Halsin?

asking for a friend
finish his quest line in act 2
I don't like druids and don't like Halsin either so sadly I will not be witnessing the glorious bear sex any time soon. Oh well, so much for having weird fetishes shoved down my throat.

lightbane

Arcane
We need a Goblin Slayer RPG ASAP. Or hell, a second season, to trigger the gobli- I mean, wokes, even harder. That one was pretty much offbrand DnD.

turkishronin

Arcane
We have to think about these evil races in the same equal light as good races. They have wives and children
Well I think this is the fault of Tolkien. He chickened out on explaining the orcs social structure. You only see them in battlefield. It's only mentioned in one of his notes that he didn't publish while he was alive that orcs reproduce like other mammals in Middle Earth, meaning there's orc women and orc children. It's only natural that people later explore the themes and find them uncomfortable.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Real RPGs have never been tried.
panzerfüsiliere-der-divisiongroßdeutschland-bringen-einenpanzerschreck-in-stellung-1944.jpg

Mid century Germans trying a real RPG.

HumanMaleFighter

Literate
We need a Goblin Slayer RPG ASAP. Or hell, a second season, to trigger the gobli- I mean, wokes, even harder. That one was pretty much offbrand DnD.

Well, good news, the second season is coming out in October and the first couple episodes were screened at an anime expo a few weeks ago.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
We have to think about these evil races in the same equal light as good races. They have wives and children
Well I think this is the fault of Tolkien. He chickened out on explaining the orcs social structure. You only see them in battlefield. It's only mentioned in one of his notes that he didn't publish while he was alive that orcs reproduce like other mammals in Middle Earth, meaning there's orc women and orc children. It's only natural that people later explore the themes and find them uncomfortable.
Orcs are literally created evil.
I thought Tolkien already explained that? They are by nature evil. The same as anything created by Morgoth.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
DnD is still a setting where Law/Chaos and Good/Evil are actual measurable forces. Moral relativism should be impossible in a place like that. I'm sure WotC will introduce Chaotic Devils and Lawful Good Demons soon enough though. And make em playable, why the fuck not. Turn Baldurs Gate into Gay Sigil.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
DnD is still a setting where Law/Chaos and Good/Evil are actual measurable forces. Moral relativism should be impossible in a place like that. I'm sure WotC will introduce Chaotic Devils and Lawful Good Demons soon enough though. And make em playable, why the fuck not. Turn Baldurs Gate into Gay Sigil.
Bro, the devils and demons aren't evil, they are just misunderstood. All the stuff they do in the Prime Material are only peaceful protests.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought Tolkien already explained that? They are by nature evil. The same as anything created by Morgoth.
Tolkien was juggling many ideas in his letters/notes. I don't think there is some detailed clear canon about orcs.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
It's like they think adding loads of options and getting rid of class restrictions makes things more interesting but it just makes things more bland.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Bro, the devils and demons aren't evil, they are just misunderstood. All the stuff they do in the Prime Material are only peaceful protests.
Fiery but mostly peaceful Blood War

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
They had nude blood wrestling. They needed mortal blood to wrestle in. Souls were worn like thong bikinis and titty tassels. All fun and gaymes in Sigil and beyond.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The concept of "Evil" being a force of nature will melt some people's brain these days. Their mental capacity stops at "but I wouldn't think that!".

Erebus

Arcane
Fantasizing about mind flayers seems like the apex of degeneracy. I'm not sure how the next AAA CRPG will manage to surpass that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom