Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate 3 on it's way?

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
NWN 2, KOTOR 2, Fallout 2. None of them were direct sequels to their previous games. Why would BG3 have to be a direct sequel to BG2? BG2 was a direct sequel to BG1, but there's no law of the gaming industry that says that once you make direct sequels you can only make direct sequels.

Set it in Baldur's Gate and the Sword Coast, make a new story while possibly keeping a few characters or companions, and BAM, Baldur's Gate 3.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
First of all it doesn't have to be related to the story of the previous games. It could just make use of the name and that's it.

Second, I doubt that Bio are interested in creating BG 3 straight after the release of the so-called...spiritual successor to BG series.

Finally, the statement is far too vague even for making speculation out of it.

Ausir

Arcane
Did you think the cretaors of the AOL made up the Neverwinter Nights name? No, they didn'. Dumbas. It's actually a FR city. OMGZ!

They did. Neverwinter is the FR city, Neverwinter Nights was the AOL game, dumbass.

DemonKing

Arcane
I think it's safe to assume that any BG3 would use the 4th edition rules.

In 4th ed the Forgotten Realms have moved on considerably from where they were when BG/BG2 came out.

First, it's 100 years since those games. Second, even the geography of the FR world has changed (a whole new continent has arrived, for instance).

Any BG3 will likely be required to reflect these changes due to licensing agreements, and thus is unlikely to directly continue the story of the first 2 games in any event.

Plus just because a game has the phrase "Baldur's Gate" somehwere in the title is no guarentee that it will bear much resemblence to the original games or even be a CRPG/PC title.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"NWN 2, KOTOR 2, Fallout 2. None of them were direct sequels to their previous games. Why would BG3 have to be a direct sequel to BG2? BG2 was a direct sequel to BG1, but there's no law of the gaming industry that says that once you make direct sequels you can only make direct sequels."

Actually, all trhee of those games are direct sequels. The evnts of the first game play a part of the setup, and background, and influence the sequels in various obvious and not so obvious ways. But, otehrwise, i agree, there is no rule that a sequel; has to be a continuation. If anything, the FF series proves this.

"They did. Neverwinter is the FR city, Neverwinter Nights was the AOL game, dumbass."

Smart ass comments aren't allowed unless by me.

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:
Yeah, as shown above, all 1000 of them. LMAO

I know you have trouble reading, so I am going to re-post this for your convenience and see if you can figure out where your math might be slightly off.

Near the end of its run in 1997 the game had 115,000 players and typically hosted 2,000 adventurers during prime evening hours, a 4000% increase over 1991.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
All 1000 of them. I doubt all 115k players still give a crap the year BIO's NWN came out. nice try, though. And, even if ALL 115K bought BIO's NWN, that's still a small bucket of all the people who bought BIO's NWN. I seriously doubt BIO picked that name ';cause they though tthe game would SELL MORE compared to the BG name. they did it, to 'honour'; the fallen heroes of a dead game.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Volourn said:
Actually, all trhee of those games are direct sequels. The evnts of the first game play a part of the setup, and background, and influence the sequels in various obvious and not so obvious ways. But, otehrwise, i agree, there is no rule that a sequel; has to be a continuation. If anything, the FF series proves this.

There's no reason that couldn't happen in BG3. It just doesn't have to continue, as you put it, the story of BG1 and 2.

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:
All 1000 of them. I doubt all 115k players still give a crap the year BIO's NWN came out. nice try, though. And, even if ALL 115K bought BIO's NWN, that's still a small bucket of all the people who bought BIO's NWN. I seriously doubt BIO picked that name ';cause they though tthe game would SELL MORE compared to the BG name. they did it, to 'honour'; the fallen heroes of a dead game.

Nice attempt at spin. You said "all 1000, as shown above". Since I was the only one who posted any subscription numbers at all regarding the original NWN, you were obviously referring to my post, and there was no sign of the number "1000" within.

Look, I know it hurts to admit you were wrong, but it gets easier with time. Trust me, I have to do it all the time. It is okay to be wrong on the internet.

duty_calls.png

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Nice attempt at spin. You said "all 1000, as shown above". Since I was the only one who posted any subscription numbers at all regarding the original NWN, you were obviously referring to my post, and there was no sign of the number "1000" within."

You just don't understand the notion of mocking. I was mocking you, and others who tried to claim that BIo chose the NWN to some how 'cash' in to all the original NWN game's fan. The point is that the number itself is irrevant, and that to imply BIO's NWN was a success because of the same name of a dead game that used to share the same name but was actually only mildly successful (at best). If name recoginzation wa sBIo's goal in nchoosing the name, they would have just called NWN BG3 and be done with it. Or, *gasp*, D&D: Dungeon Master or D&D: Online.

Silellak

Cipher
Volourn said:
"Nice attempt at spin. You said "all 1000, as shown above". Since I was the only one who posted any subscription numbers at all regarding the original NWN, you were obviously referring to my post, and there was no sign of the number "1000" within."

You just don't understand the notion of mocking. I was mocking you, and others who tried to claim that BIo chose the NWN to some how 'cash' in to all the original NWN game's fan. The point is that the number itself is irrevant, and that to imply BIO's NWN was a success because of the same name of a dead game that used to share the same name but was actually only mildly successful (at best). If name recoginzation wa sBIo's goal in nchoosing the name, they would have just called NWN BG3 and be done with it. Or, *gasp*, D&D: Dungeon Master or D&D: Online.

Actually, I was also guessing that trying to use the name of the original AOL NWN as a basis for the hopeful success of the new NWN was fairly unlikely, but then I guess sarcastic phrases like "epic AOL Games MMO smash hit of the same name" may not translate all that well in text format.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Since BG3 will feature "Fear in the Ork's Eyes™" technology, I wonder what perspective it will be in? A KotOR like view? RTwP?

Maybe it will kind of like use FO3's VATS, in that every time you swing at an ork, the camera zooms to the ork, and you see the fear!

baronjohn

Cipher
I hope they let you import your char from ToB. I ended a game as a 40/37 mage/cleric. It sure would make things easier at the start!

Marsal

Arcane
Were there any cRPGs set in Waterdeep? Isn't Waterdeep the biggest city on the Sword Coast?

bhlaab

Erudite
Maybe they will revive Jefferson!

by that I mean literally cause the second president of the united states to rise from his grave because there's a bigger chance of that happening than black isle's bg3 coming out

TripJack

Hedonist
John Adams is going to rise from the grave tonight and dismember you for your ignorance.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
From what I remember no one wants to do Waterdeep because the setting is to well developed. Hard to make things new and interesting when the fanboys have all 300 books/supplements/box sets about the area and will throw a fit if you mess what they know to be the complete and unchangeable truth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom