Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

MerchantKing

Learned
I WILL NOT LET MY FANS DOWN! THE BUGS WILL BE FIXED!
Add custom hirelings too and make it so I don't have to download a mod to fix the jump/shove action economy.

My dear hebrew friend, you installed this garbage game 50 pages ago. What merchant trickery is this?
Delete this post goy.

Delete yourself or ...
cool it with the antisemitic remarks

Zeriel

Arcane
Bard could use a Proficiency bonus for their Unique Cantrip so it isn’t useless.

That’s Owlcat level incompetence.
Bard is OP and should be removed completely, making the fucking clown class so strong is the biggest sin of 5E. Who the fuck thought it's a great idea to give them both extra attack and full spellcasting and at the same time be a best skill monkey, best talker and also have shitload of powerful utility abilities, like what the fuck, how some faggot at WotC arrived at the conclusion that "jack of all trades, master of none" archetype, should instead become "master of all", it's supposed to be a funny drunk charlatan tavern singer class, not some insane cringe power fantasy shit.

Bard actually started as D&D's first prestige class in early editions before prestige class was a thing, you had to be very high level to even transition into it. The whole "bard is a joke" thing came later.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
it's also the most thirsty class, making it ultra-degenerate.

Like more people will play Bard from now on. Byebye Paladin.

True actually, I didn't even think about that. I bet our resident Reddit ambassador Grauken and all the other faggots are playing Bard, disgusting creatures
Given your join date its clear who the reddit ambassador is

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Should just try improving your IQ over 50, gitting gud and realizing thunderweave, haste, bless, fireball, command and rightclicking, is all you'll ever need for the whole campaign, to instawin every encounter in the game on Tactician. Cope as much as you want, everyone who played the game and isn't a game journo, knows the balance is shit.
Which of these have you played: BG, BG2, IWD, SoD, NWN, NWN2, MotB, Solasta?
All of them. Well, can't say I really played NWN, I tried 3 times but every time I dropped the playthrough after 5-10h, one of the worst RPGs I've ever touched, it felt more like a very janky and retarded Diablo clone.
Well, you already know D&D, what did you expect?

Which of these has the best combat encounters?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fabulously successful new entry in genre with 1 mil players: hurr, durr genre's dead.
A game aimed at Redditors, Streamers and Journos.
Its obviously aimed at the former Bioware audience, and the already existing Divinity OS audience. And it obviously delivered for both groups.
BTW quests reqularly have more solutions than most of those in the Codex top 10 RPGs, if not all of them.

Agreed, I guess Larian did overpromise and that’s on them but even with the fake branching dialogue in most conversations there are more than a few quests that have consequences further into the game. Thus far it does not feel super different from Arcanum.
If you ask me, fuck all this "over-/under-" "-promise/-deliver" discourse. That talk is fit for third rate youtuber clickbait. It's an entirely wrong frame of thinking. Did you, personally, have fun with the thing or not? That's the main thing that ought to matter to you. We're not investors in a company here.

Dialogue branching is fake and not every branch has consequences attached. Well, news at eleven. I didn't expect every branch to carry me to a different conclusion.

What's so egregious about it anyway? Is the conversation with Vlaakith?

PapaPetro

So, what is the codex consensus? Is this game good? It's pure decline? Kingcomrade?
If you can get past some of the weird
honkhonk.png
shit, there's a pretty
incline.png
game going on there.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Bard could use a Proficiency bonus for their Unique Cantrip so it isn’t useless.

That’s Owlcat level incompetence.
Bard is OP and should be removed completely, making the fucking clown class so strong is the biggest sin of 5E. Who the fuck thought it's a great idea to give them both extra attack and full spellcasting and at the same time be a best skill monkey, best talker and also have shitload of powerful utility abilities, like what the fuck, how some faggot at WotC arrived at the conclusion that "jack of all trades, master of none" archetype, should instead become "master of all", it's supposed to be a funny drunk charlatan tavern singer class, not some insane cringe

It’s fine but like Owlcat EK being 80% of a Fighter or 80% of a caster isn’t all that great. Only so much action econ to go around.

Cutting Remarks gives it a good reaction at the cost of that extra attack. Skill monkey isn’t really something you need unless you’re randomly offing your companions, though Halfling with SoH expertise is best Burglar.

Extra Short Rest is good with Martial party but again its not like you’re hurting for rests. Bard unique dialog probably my favorite part of class.

Shaki

Arbiter
Which of these has the best combat encounters?

You know the answer to this question, they all suck dick. But except for Solasta, they're all RTWP games, destined to have retarded combat because they were produced in an age where dumbfuck publishers wanted every game to be Diablo, and the RPG genre had to suffer for it. Solasta is the only valid comparison, but it had like 1000 times smaller budget than BG3, and it's pretty much a custom campaign tool with the barebones dogshit vanilla campaign serving purely as a proof of concept type of thing. Still, the implementation of DnD combat in Solasta is imho better in BG3, 3d movement, climbing walls and shit like that alone makes combat potentially much more interesting, it's just not utilized well in the vanilla campaign, and ofc it also suffers from using shitty 5E as a base. I really believe we will get some great custom campaigns out of it in time tho, creativity of random autists is usually far above the AAA developer teams, if they just have the right tools to showcase it, and Solasta seems to provide these.

I compare BG3 against other modern turn based games, like KOTC2 or Dungeon of Naheulbeuk, etc. - choosing 5E as a base is a choice, and I'm not going to give BG3 bonus points for combat quality, just because they decided to choose hard mode by building on a shitty system.

Zayne

Scholar
Only so much action econ to go around.
But there's also resourse economy.
You have a finite amount of inspirations for flourishes/remarks, but then you also have CC spells and great AoE damage spell in form of Glyph of Warding.

So Bard can put MAXIMUM PRESSURE for more rounds than, for example, Battlemaster. And can choose which form of pressure to put first.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
My first playthrough was with swords bard passed every check in the game beat the slayer duel in 1 turn with prebuffs. I just used melee or dual handbows.

My 2nd playthrough on tactician is a Paladin maybe warlock 5 for extra-extra attack. I have noticed that GWF is really good and summoning a pawn with 6 levels of transmuter for double potions and stone is very good too.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Neat. You get an early foreshadowing of the Oprheus conflict and lore based quest by finding this Gith tablet in the Arcane tower. Bae'zel once again being the adorable little facist she is.

MfthRL7.png

There's also a somewhat marxist manifesto, playing at either Lenin or Stalin. Mystra-Cleric in that tower must have been a huge Bohéme. Huegly into theater, humanist teachings, gardening and shit.

Shaki

Arbiter

Awww, but just few pages ago you were educating me how supporting trannies is the right thing™, and conservatives should be purged. I thought I will soon see you with Licorice in the political subforum, banding up to spread the gospel of white genocide. You were so close to accepting who you are, why did you suddenly decide to go back to pretending?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Awww, but just few pages ago you were educating me how supporting trannies is the right thing™, and conservatives should be purged. I thought I will soon see you with Licorice in the political subforum, banding up to spread the gospel of white genocide. You were so close to accepting who you are, why did you suddenly decide to go back to pretending?
Is that how you talk on reddit? Seems like you started with 1 in INT

Shaki

Arbiter

My INT score wouldn't matter anyway, since the budget was spent on making the NPC Grauken a pretty and well animated tranny, and there wasn't enough left to give him any interesting and reactive dialogue.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

True actually, I didn't even think about that. I bet our resident Reddit ambassador Grauken and all the other faggots are playing Bard, disgusting creatures

The binary times of "muscled male warrior" and "salaciously clad sorceress" are long gone ...

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

My INT score wouldn't matter anyway, since the budget was spent on making the NPC Grauken a pretty and well animated tranny, and there wasn't enough left to give him any interesting and reactive dialogue.
I see Baldur's Gate 3 has well and truly buck broken you

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom