Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Barbarian

Arcane
mages are kinda boring
:nocountryforshitposters:
unfit to psycho murderer
:what:

Lore-wise, assassin rogue or berserker barbarian fit best. Warlock would be weird, since your background spoilers-spoilers already has you be a member of a certain worship club, so the demonic pact is unfitting. But as I've said before, its great for schizomaxxing - tadpole + urges + demon + amnesia.
Don't go cleric, makes no sense with the background. And note that the character is canonically from Baldur's Gate, so don't pick a gith, makes no sense.

Durge was literally an urban serial killer and bhaal cult leader before having memory wipe.

Assassin or maybe Gloom Stalker with a stretch(ranger - lol). Maybe multiclass if you want to cheese. I went with assassin because it fits thematically and the gear you get is very assassin focused.

You are literally the son of the god of murder - who was a a rogue assassin before ascension.

I have no idea why they made the character canonically a storm sorcerer and dragonborn to boot. Makes no sense. Something something about that retarded web game they did where you investigated the murders - apparently there was a public vote to pick the "race and class" of the killer and retarded redditors chose to make him a dragonborn sorc.

Last edited:

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Raphael's boss theme is great, getting to listen to it again and again was the one upside of all the time he spent wiping the floor with me
I couldn't stand it, and this battle was so long, as I'm playing a necromancer with shitloads of minions.
Each to their own, I wasn't sold until his part came in but loved it after that, felt very in character. The only battle I felt was going on forever so far was the Viconia one at the end of Shadowheart's quest if you go against Shar, never again

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

mages are kinda boring
unfit to psycho murderer

Lore-wise, assassin rogue or berserker barbarian fit best. Warlock would be weird, since your background spoilers-spoilers already has you be a member of a certain worship club, so the demonic pact is unfitting. But as I've said before, its great for schizomaxxing - tadpole + urges + demon + amnesia.
Don't go cleric, makes no sense with the background. And note that the character is canonically from Baldur's Gate, so don't pick a gith, makes no sense.
Ever heard of spoilers dude?

Ryzer

Arcane
For some reason I can't stop laughing at this guy's face:

iPI714i.jpg
More or less how my shoulders & back looked like before laser hair removal.
Imagine the smell.

Vatnik Wumao
Glad they decided to let Durge be anything.
I wish they'd allow for that with every origin. You can put limits on it when it's relevant to the narrative in terms of race or what have you (e.g. if you pick the Shadowheart origin for your PC, you are hardlocked to playing half-elf since you get to meet your parents as NPCs in the game), but otherwise it's silly to outright remove any sort of appearance customization.

Barbarian

Arcane
It's just a Ballspawn nostalgia grab background. You could be anything as the Ballspawn in BG1 too.

Original trilogy charname was an orphan raised in a monastery by a goody two shoes harper wizard. That one was pretty open yes.

This character origin however has a lot of bagage and story reveals. I don't see the point of making the character a bard, cleric or whatever for instance. That some people roleplay him as a paladin bogles the mind. Even a spellcaster or fighter doesn't make much sense.

Dude was literally a street prowling serial killer ambushing and murdering people. Rogue makes the most sense, specially Assassin subclass. Or Gloom Stalker.

MerchantKing

Learned
It's just a Ballspawn nostalgia grab background. You could be anything as the Ballspawn in BG1 too.

This character origin however has a lot of bagage and story reveals. I don't see the point of making the character a bard, cleric or whatever for instance. That some people roleplay him as a paladin bogles the mind. Even a spellcaster or fighter doesn't make much sense.

Dude was literally a street prowling serial killer ambushing and murdering people. Rogue makes the most sense, specially Assassin subclass. Or Gloom Stalker.
Paladins can do that in this version. Also, a wizard has always been a better assassin than any of the assassin type of classes.

Barbarian

Arcane

mages are kinda boring
unfit to psycho murderer

Ever heard of spoilers dude?

Sorry bro, spoiler tagged everything sensible. Though most people know everything about the origin at this point.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Durge spoilers
Durge was also the leader of the Cult of the Absolute and the one who created the plan in the first place. Seems like more of a conniving knowledgeable schemer than some bloodthirsty serial killer in the streets. Especially since Gortash says "I always liked you better than Orin, you could control your urges."

Barbarian

Arcane

Paladins can do that in this version. Also, a wizard has always been a better assassin than any of the assassin type of classes.

That is a very openhanded and nonconventional interpretation of what being a paladin or wizard entails.

It is like saying Gandalf or Holger Carlsen would make good assassins.

Specially in this case when we are speaking comically exagerated bloodthirsty psycho with evil deity heritage

When I think of durge I literally think of this guy. That is regardless of wether or not you want to make him a redemption arc character who becomes good.

Night-Slasher-Cobra-Bad-Guy.jpg

Durge's little speech in character creation paints him as a tragic figure who really doesn't want to be taken over by the psycho urges (though you could pretend he's lying).
Play with friends. Preferably in real life. There's even a sort of hidden split screen option on PC. Me and a buddy rolled a barbarian and fighter and just cheesed every encounter by shoving things off cliffs.
Split screen is so buggy right now that we just acquired a second copy to play in LAN

Barbarian

Arcane
Durge spoilers
Durge was also the leader of the Cult of the Absolute and the one who created the plan in the first place. Seems like more of a conniving knowledgeable schemer than some bloodthirsty serial killer in the streets. Especially since Gortash says "I always liked you better than Orin, you could control your urges."
Nothing like that. The way he murders the bard or goes haywire if you give in to the urges(literally biting people's limbs off or needlessly mutilating corpses). He personally murdered his victims with the assistance of his "butler" like some horror movie antagonist too.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Durge spoilers
Nothing like that. The way he murders the bard or goes haywire if you give in to the urges(literally biting people's limbs off or needlessly mutilating corpses). He personally murdered his victims with the assistance of his "butler" like some horror movie antagonist too.
This actually makes me wonder if what Gortash says to you depends on how much you give into your urges when playing Durge. I avoided my urges whenever possible (The only time I killed anyone was the bard, which is mandatory), and he went on and on about how much more controlled I was than Orin.

Barbarian

Arcane
Durge spoilers
This actually makes me wonder if what Gortash says to you depends on how much you give into your urges when playing Durge. I avoided my urges whenever possible (The only time I killed anyone was the bard, which is mandatory), and he went on and on about how much more controlled I was than Orin.

Can't expect consistency from larian's writing team(which is a literal soylaced cuck squad).

That said everything about the character before the game starts and he is amnesiac, including that shitty webgame, points to unhinged and possessed psycho killer. You even daydream about killing kids for eff's sake, and can literally provoke the death of that tiefling girl early in the game while smiling about it

copebot

Learned
60 hours and still enjoying act 1. Finished the Nere fight yesterday, with the help of the Duergar and killing Nere in the first 2 two rounds wasn't particularly difficult but still fun. Tried to save the girl Nere kicks into the lava by attacking him before the cutscene start but I couldn't make it work. Shame. Now mopping up the rest of Grymforge and the Underdark. Accidentally killed the mushroom picker because I love blowing shit up and forgot he might be in there, came running out but died before he could entirely get clear of the exploding mushrooms. So I reloaded because I'm nice. Once I'm done below the surface I finally get to the mountain pass area

Oh yeah, how does the elevator in the mage tower work?
Try flying or feather falling.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Finished it. Yeah, missing an extended scene with your companions and no epilogue slides are a bummer, but other than that, I do not see this crazy drop off in quality during act 3 that people were screeching about.

All in all super fun game, never thought I'd say this 2 months ago, but I'm actually satisfied with the sequel to BG2.

Barbarian

Arcane
Durge's little speech in character creation paints him as a tragic figure who really doesn't want to be taken over by the psycho urges (though you could pretend he's lying).

That is after the amnesia.

Every glimpse on how the character was before paints a very different figure - if you pass that intelligence roll at the beach when examining fisher corpse for instance you literally have flashbacks of "a thousand dead" victims by your hand

Shaki

Arbiter
For example if you let Lae'zel use the machine to "heal herself", you get a choice to tell the leader of the gith there is a traitor. But when you tell her, she will say you claim to have found the artifact they are searching, despite you've never said anything about it to anyone. And you have no choice but to show her the artifact or kill her.

Yeah I got exactly that sequence of events. It was a bit disappointing. Must surely be a bug that will be ironed out - I doubt they wouldn't have taken into account that path of possibilities.
I doubt it's a bug, Creche has only one path, unless you go full murderhobo from the beginning. You have to show the bitch the artifact regardless of what you say, all "choices" are fake. I suspect they planned to offer more paths, but scrapped them, that's why everything there feels disjointed and retarded.

Shaki

Arbiter
Finished it. Yeah, missing an extended scene with your companions and no epilogue slides are a bummer, but other than that, I do not see this crazy drop off in quality during act 3 that people were screeching about.

All in all super fun game, never thought I'd say this 2 months ago, but I'm actually satisfied with the sequel to BG2.
According to some comments I've read, supposedly drop in quality in A3 depends entirely on the order in which you do the quests. You can have nearly bugless run, or a completely bugged mess. I personally had a shitload of bugs and weird things happening, at some points it legit felt like a fever dream, with characters constantly referencing things that didn't happen etc.

I'll see how it goes on my 2nd run when I'll do things differently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom