Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate II

szoreny

Novice
Lancaster County Pennsylvania United States Amuric
Vibalist said:
unlike in most rpg's where sidequests usually suck, this game manages to both make them interesting *and* give the main character incentive to do them, namely because they don't conflict with the main quest (as opposed to a game like Oblivion where it didn't made any sense to waste time on sidequests from a roleplaying perspective when the whole world was threatened by an imminent invasion).

Not sure about that. The game positions the 'find irenicus/save imoen' quest as extremely urgent, and the aid you're offered at the beginning of chapter 2 is so easy to obtain, you can have the required gold after maybe 2 major sidequests. Considering that chapter 2 is the best time to ramble around doing tons of quests, I always thought the game's attempt to rush me into chapter 3 was a bad move, when it could've easily been avoided by prolonging the offer of aid until your character is more powerful - or just having the factions concerned ask a much higher price.

Lumpy

Arcane
Not that the price made sense anyway, considering your destination was the Pirate's Disneyland in the Forgotten Realms, which every fucking sailor should've known about.

Relayer71

Liturgist
szoreny said:
Vibalist said:
unlike in most rpg's where sidequests usually suck, this game manages to both make them interesting *and* give the main character incentive to do them, namely because they don't conflict with the main quest (as opposed to a game like Oblivion where it didn't made any sense to waste time on sidequests from a roleplaying perspective when the whole world was threatened by an imminent invasion).

Not sure about that. The game positions the 'find irenicus/save imoen' quest as extremely urgent, and the aid you're offered at the beginning of chapter 2 is so easy to obtain, you can have the required gold after maybe 2 major sidequests. Considering that chapter 2 is the best time to ramble around doing tons of quests, I always thought the game's attempt to rush me into chapter 3 was a bad move, when it could've easily been avoided by prolonging the offer of aid until your character is more powerful - or just having the factions concerned ask a much higher price.

I agree to a point but still beats Oblivion's "CLOSE ALL THE GATES, WE'RE BEING INVADED!". :)

And sure if you do the right quests you may have the required gold but that's if you don't spend a large chunk of it outfitting your party. I was never in a rush to rescue that bitch anyway. They should have given you a time limit after which she is slaughtered and given you more reason to seek Irenicus out. But now we're spoiling it for the OP a bit.

Mareus

Magister
The way I played it, I didn't rush because Irenicus display of power was truly frightening. Foolishly following him just to save Imoen when your best equipment and everything was taken from you would be a disaster. I figured it out that way and so I didn't feel pressured to go after Imoen unprepared. And since he was captured by the cowled wizards I kind of thought she would be safe there at least for a while.

szoreny

Novice
Lancaster County Pennsylvania United States Amuric
Mareus said:
The way I played it, I didn't rush because Irenicus display of power was truly frightening. Foolishly following him just to save Imoen when your best equipment and everything was taken from you would be a disaster. I figured it out that way and so I didn't feel pressured to go after Imoen unprepared. And since he was captured by the cowled wizards I kind of thought she would be safe there at least for a while.

That's the way I played it as well, - It would've been welcome if more of the writing and party banter supported that agenda, most of it seems to assume that the player character wants to charge off immediately prepared or no - - I 'spose it doesn't matter, and yeah it's nowhere near as ineptly handled as oblivion's attempt to 'augment' TES's trademark sleepy- world lollygagging with a DO IT NOW main quest. Oblivion's awkwardness is magnified since the quest therein should concern everyone in the gameworld, which remains sleepy, unaffected and unconvincing, while BGII's quest is happening out of public view and is only a known concern to clandestine powers and secretive peoples. Its not that the story's great - but at least it doesn't totally blow its own foot off.

Vibalist

Arcane
szoreny said:
Mareus said:

That's the way I played it as well, - It would've been welcome if more of the writing and party banter supported that agenda, most of it seems to assume that the player character wants to charge off immediately prepared or no - - I 'spose it doesn't matter, and yeah it's nowhere near as ineptly handled as oblivion's attempt to 'augment' TES's trademark sleepy- world lollygagging with a DO IT NOW main quest. Oblivion's awkwardness is magnified since the quest therein should concern everyone in the gameworld, which remains sleepy, unaffected and unconvincing, while BGII's quest is happening out of public view and is only a known concern to clandestine powers and secretive peoples. Its not that the story's great - but at least it doesn't totally blow its own foot off.

I agree. Rushing doesn't seem as 'necesarry' in BG2 as in Oblivion, especially if playing as an evil character who's not interested in saving Imoen, but only in the power Irenicus has to offer the player.

EDIT:

Making the price higher would have been annoying for those who just wanted to get on with the main quest. If the price had been maybe 50.000 or even 100.000 gold pieces, the game would have halted the main quest for the sake of side quests which could be just as annoying as doing it the other way around. As it is now, the player has an opportunity to explore the city of Athkatla without feeling like the whole thing is *too* rushed, but also to get on with the main quest almost immediately if he wants to.
Also, like it's been suggested a few times, you could always invent a reason for postponing the main quest from a roleplaying perspective (and despite the fact that you could probably also do that in Oblivion, it didn't feel as easy).

Erebus

Arcane
BG2 is a game I've replayed a lot (usually not even bothering with mods, except for Ascension). While it's not perfect, it offers a good compromise between story and action, has good characters, an interesting plot, nice fights, varied and original locations, etc.

ToB offered some very good dungeons and fights, but was too short and linear.

The game is sometimes a bit too obvious.
Is there anybody who hadn't guessed Imoen was our sister after the introduction ? And Melissan being the real villain is obvious after a while. I had suspicions after the fight against Gromnir and was sure of it when she turned up after I had killed Yaga Shura.

Mareus

Magister
Erebus said:
BG2 is a game I've replayed a lot (usually not even bothering with mods, except for Ascension). While it's not perfect, it offers a good compromise between story and action, has good characters, an interesting plot, nice fights, varied and original locations, etc.

ToB offered some very good dungeons and fights, but was too short and linear.

The game is sometimes a bit too obvious.
Is there anybody who hadn't guessed Imoen was our sister after the introduction ? And Melissan being the real villain is obvious after a while. I had suspicions after the fight against Gromnir and was sure of it when she turned up after I had killed Yaga Shura.
Now I am not sure about this because I played the original version quite a long time ago, but last year I played the modded (trilogy) version and the story managed to surprise me quite a lot. I think there is a mod which makes the story a bit more dramatic and unpredictable. For example, you find out a few things about your mother and her history, how she was in love with Bhaal and was supposed to sacrifice you when you were born. You find out a few things about other Bhaalspawn like Sarevok and his interest in you. It also gives you a detailed explanation how you and Imoen came to be Gorion's wards. He saved you from your mother and left her for dead. I was pretty shocked by this. And when I finished the whole game, I thought how cool it would be if Mellisan turned out to be your mother. That would sure be a shocker. But I think there are a few hints that make you think she was your mother. Anyway here is a list of mods I used, since I am not sure if the story was part of original game or some of these mods:

~SETUP-BGT.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Core 1.05a
~SETUP-BGTMUSIC.TP2~ #0 #1 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Music -> Hybrid Baldur's Gate/Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal Music
~HOMEWARDBOUND/SETUP-HOMEWARDBOUND.TP2~ #0 #0 // Homeward Bound - V 1
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications for Version 14, September 18, 2007
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #2 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Edwin his BG2 portrait.
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #3 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Imoen her BG2 portrait.
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #4 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Jaheira her BG2 portrait.
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #5 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Minsc his BG2 portrait.
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #6 // The BG1 NPC Project: Give Viconia her BG2 portrait.
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #8 // The BG1 NPC Project: Add Non-Joinable NPC portraits to quests and dialogues
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #10 // The BG1 NPC Project: Branwen's Romance Core (teen content)
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #12 // The BG1 NPC Project: Dynaheir's Romance Core (teen content)
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #13 // The BG1 NPC Project: Shar-Teel Relationship Core (adult content)
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #17 // The BG1 NPC Project: Alora's Starting Location. -> Alora Starts in the Hall of Wonders.
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #27 // The BG1 NPC Project: Bardic Reputation Adjustment
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #30 // The BG1 NPC Project: Sarevok's Diary Adjustments -> SixofSpades Extended Sarevok's Diary
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #40 // Change Viconia's Skin Color to Dark Blue
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #60 // Weapon Animation Tweaks
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #110 // Icon Improvements
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #120 // Change Avatar When Wearing Robes or Armor (Galactygon)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // More Interjections
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1020 // Alter HP Triggers for NPC Wounded Dialogues
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1050 // Gradual Drow Item Disintegration
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1070 // Improved Multi-Player Kick-out Dialogues
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1090 // Exotic Item Pack
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1120 // Stores Sell Higher Stacks of Items
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1130 // Reputation Resets in BG2 (BGT Only)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1150 // Shapeshifter Rebalancing
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1160 // Multiple Strongholds (Baldurdash) -> No Restrictions (Baldurdash)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1170 // Bonus Merchants (Baldurdash)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1190 // Romance Bug Fixes
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1200 // Imoen ToB Dialogue Fix
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1220 // Allow Cromwell to Upgrade Watcher's Keep Items
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2020 // Two-Handed Bastard Swords
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2030 // Two-Handed Katanas
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2040 // Universal Clubs
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2050 // Description Updates for Universal Clubs Component
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2060 // Weapon Styles for All
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2090 // Change Experience Point Cap -> Remove Experience Cap
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2100 // Allow Thieving and Stealth in Heavy Armor
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2120 // Allow Arcane Spellcasting in Heavy Armor
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2140 // Expanded Dual-Class Options
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2151 // Wear Multiple Protection Items -> No Restrictions
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2170 // Cast Spells from Scrolls (and Other Items) at Character Level
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2200 // Multi-Class Grandmastery (Weimer)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2210 // True Grandmastery (Baldurdash)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2220 // Change Magically Created Weapons to Zero Weight
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2230 // Make +x/+y Weapons Consistent
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2231 // Description Updates for Make +x/+y Weapons Consistent Component
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2240 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2250 // Un-Nerfed Sorcerer Spell Progression Table
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2260 // Alter Mage Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2270 // Alter Bard Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2280 // Alter Cleric Spell Progression Table -> Un-Nerfed Table (Blucher)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2290 // Alter Druid Spell and Level Progression Tables -> No Level Progression Changes, Un-Nerfed Druid Spell Table Only (Blucher)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2300 // Triple-Class HLA Tables
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2320 // Trap Cap Removal (Ardanis/GeN1e)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2330 // Remove Delay for Magical Traps (Ardanis/GeN1e)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2340 // Remove Summoning Cap for Celestials (Ardanis/GeN1e)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3000 // Higher HP on Level Up -> Maximum
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3012 // Maximum HP for NPCs (the bigg) -> For Party-Joinable NPCs Only
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3031 // Easy Spell Learning -> 100% Learn Spells and No Maximum Cap
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3050 // Remove fatigue from restoration spells
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3060 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3070 // Change Effect of Reputation on Store Prices -> Low Reputation Store Discount (Sabre)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3080 // Unlimited Ammo Stacking
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3090 // Unlimited Gem and Jewelry Stacking
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3100 // Unlimited Potion Stacking
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3110 // Unlimited Scroll Stacking
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3121 // Happy Patch (Party NPCs do not fight or complain about reputation) -> NPCs can be angry about reputation but never leave (Salk)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3125 // Neutral Characters Make Happy Comments at Mid-Range Reputation
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3160 // Keep Drizzt's Loot, Disable Malchor Harpell
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3183 // Romance Cheats
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3200 // Sellable Items (Icelus)
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3210 // Minimum Stats Cheat
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4000 // Adjust Evil joinable NPC reaction rolls
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4010 // Improved Fate Spirit Summoning
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4020 // ToB-Style NPCs
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4031 // Consistent Stats: Edwin -> Use BG2 Values
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4041 // Consistent Stats: Jaheira -> Use BG2 Values
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4061 // Consistent Stats: Minsc -> Use BG2 Values
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4071 // Consistent Stats: Viconia -> Use BG2 Values
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4110 // Give Kagain A Legal Constitution Score of 19
~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #10 // Correct various errors on race, class etc
~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #20 // Make elemental arrows more like their BG2 counterparts
~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #30 // Make Protection from Normal Missiles block magical missiles
~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #50 // Re-introduce potions of extra-healing
~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #70 // Allow player to choose NPC proficiencies and skills
~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #95 // Better NPC management
~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #100 // Allow Yeslick to use axes
~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #110 // Move NPCs to more convenient locations
~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #150 // Improved deployment for parties of assassins
~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #200 // Smarter deployment
~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #280 // Relocated bounty hunters
~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #420 // Stackable ankheg shells and winterwolf pelts
~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ #0 #430 // Move Boo out of quick access and into Minsc's pack
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #2 // Creature & Area Improvements -> All Creature Improvements
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // Creature & Area Improvements -> Boss Improvements Only
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #4 // Alternative Harper/Xzar Plot
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #5 // Extended Reynald Sequence
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #6 // Intrigue In The Copper Coronet
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #7 // Rahul Kanakia's Potion Quest
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #8 // Revised Hell Trials
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #10 // Improved Oasis II -> IO2 Dialogue Enhancement Only
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #11 // Saving Sanik In Brynnlaw
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #12 // Burglary Of The Bookkeeper
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #13 // New Fate For The Dryads' Acorns
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #14 // The Tragedy Of Besamen
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #15 // Further Slaver Involvement
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #16 // Sending The Solamnic Knights Home
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #17 // Nazariel The Lich
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #18 // Reward Negotiation
~SETUP-D0QUESTPACK.TP2~ #0 #19 // Infernal Thievery
~P5TWEAKS/P5TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Drop items on frozen death
~P5TWEAKS/P5TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1 // Drop items on Disintegrate
~P5TWEAKS/P5TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2 // Drop items on Imprisonment
~P5TWEAKS/P5TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3 // Restore SoA background music for Promenade cutscene
~P5TWEAKS/P5TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4 // Increased spear range & damage -> Update default descriptions
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-BP-BGT-WORLDMAP.TP2~ #0 #0 // Revised worldmap for the Baldur's Gate v6.6.1 - including coloured Baldur's Gate map icons -> Installing new Worldmap for use with Mega Modification...
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-BP-BGT-WORLDMAP.TP2~ #0 #3 // Travel Times and Area Visibility -> Revised Area Visibility and Travel Times for BG1 & SoA/TOB+BP Family Mods
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-BP-BGT-WORLDMAP.TP2~ #0 #5 // Worldmap size: Choose the size of the worldmap -> Huge Worldmap 8000x4600
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-BP-BGT-WORLDMAP.TP2~ #0 #6 // Worldmap for Throne of Bhall -> Use new worldmap for Throne of Bhaal as well
~SETUP-BP-BGT-WORLDMAP.TP2~ #0 #0 // Revised worldmap for the Baldur's Gate v6.6.1 - including coloured Baldur's Gate map icons -> Installing new Worldmap for use with Mega Modification...
~SETUP-BP-BGT-WORLDMAP.TP2~ #0 #3 // Travel Times and Area Visibility -> Revised Area Visibility and Travel Times for BG1 & SoA/TOB+BP Family Mods
~SETUP-BP-BGT-WORLDMAP.TP2~ #0 #5 // Worldmap size: Choose the size of the worldmap -> Huge Worldmap 8000x4600
~SETUP-BP-BGT-WORLDMAP.TP2~ #0 #7 // Worldmap for Throne of Bhall -> Clothmap style map for Throne of Bhaal
~SETUP-WM6WAUKEENFIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // Waukeen Promenade "Destination Unreachable" Patch
~TB#TWEAKS/TB#TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #100 // Nature's Beauty Tweak. (v2.10)
~TB#TWEAKS/TB#TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #150 // Imprisonment Fix. (v2.10)
~TB#TWEAKS/TB#TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #200 // Flesh to Stone Fix. (v2.10)
~TB#TWEAKS/TB#TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #300 // Drop Weapons in Panic Effect Removal. (v2.10)

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Zinc said:
I recently acquired Fallout 2 and completed that, and although I did enjoy it, I couldn't help but feel that the game mechanics were somewhat dated - well, obviously they would be.
Can you elaborate on that?

Erebus

Arcane
Kavax said:
How much combat can be avoided in this game?

If you cast Invisibility 10' Radius, quite a lot. :)

Occasions where you can avoid a fight using wit or diplomacy are fairly rare.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Baldur's Gate II is 95% combat, 5% walking.

I'm not even joking.

Mareus

Magister
Kavax said:
Hmm... so could you safely say that combat is a huge part of this game? I don't think it is the RPG for me then.
Dont listen to people saying the game is full of combat. I mean there is a lot of combat, but this is not Diablo or some stupid shit like that. In BG you will have to talk with people a lot, there are many interesting quests, the world is huge, mods let you finish some quests peacfully and even without mods there is more then enough non violent quests. For example you can also have your own castle, or a church or you can have your own theatre depending on what class you play. There is a lot of talking with your companions, romances, etc. There is a lot of content in this game, the story is superb. At least it was for me. Yes there is a lot of combat, but combat is tactical and very fun. It's never repetitive and you have to use different strategy for every battle. If you haven't played it, you should. This is old school, so don't think it's shallow like some games made today. And why there is a lot of bloodshed is explained in the story. You are a goddamn child of Bhaal!

BG has less combat and more conversations, quests, dialogs, content than Temple of Elemental evil, Wizardry 7,8, Jagged Alliance 1,2, Icewind Dale 1,2, etc... so if you played any of these games you know how much combat you can expect. It's similar to NWN2 when it comes to the amount of combat, but the combat is not so dull. And there is 3 times more to do in BG than in NWN2.

Erebus

Arcane
There's a lot of combat, but it's not excessive or repetitive (as opposed to, say, the Might & Magic games). In fact, the fights are usually entertaining (much more than in the NWN games, for example).

But it's not PS:T. There's a lot of dialogue in BG2, but it's not as important.

Mareus

Magister
Erebus said:
There's a lot of combat, but it's not excessive or repetitive (as opposed to, say, the Might & Magic games). In fact, the fights are usually entertaining (much more than in the NWN games, for example).

But it's not PS:T. There's a lot of dialogue in BG2, but it's not as important.
And don't forget the music. The music is better than anything I have ever heard. It really gives you the feeling you are some hero of epic proportions. You also meet people from the Forgotten Realms books and they can join you (like the famous Drizzt). You can even travel through planes and there is mention of Sigil from PST. With mods you can even aquire some items from PST. Next to PST, BG is my favorite game. No other game comes close to these two gems in my book.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Funny thing, i started playing BGII for the first time today... Well, what confuses me is the combat part. Its fun untill some multi-colored spells are thrown at you... I kinda start to panic, i miss my "turn".
I would say turn-based combat would make it awesome to watch/plan what you are doing, casting counter-spells and so on. But still game looks interesting and the amount/quality of content seems great.

Erebus

Arcane
Mareus said:
You also meet people from the Forgotten Realms books and they can join you (like the famous Drizzt).

Honestly, I would have preferred NOT meeting Drizzt and Elminster. But then, I don't like the Forgotten Realms (and its munchkin NPCs).

Next to PST, BG is my favorite game. No other game comes close to these two gems in my book.

I would have said the same a year ago, but since then I've played MotB and the Witcher, both of which are also very good CRPGs.

Mareus

Magister
jagged-jimmy said:
Funny thing, i started playing BGII for the first time today... Well, what confuses me is the combat part. Its fun untill some multi-colored spells are thrown at you... I kinda start to panic, i miss my "turn".
I would say turn-based combat would make it awesome to watch/plan what you are doing, casting counter-spells and so on. But still game looks interesting and the amount/quality of content seems great.
You will learn. It takes some time to get a hang of the battle system. There is over 300 spells and I would suggest you read every spell very good when you aquire it. Also don't underestimate the power of defensive spells. The thing that you panic only says the game is old school. You never panic in new games, because they are made for retards. In BG you will learn to appreciate every item and level you find.

EDIT. Here are a few pieces of the great BG music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V6ayeiKkT4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB7T6Kd9cYg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7vWiaxw7Y&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDYEGDrO0mU&feature=related

aboyd

Liturgist
jagged-jimmy said:
Uh, you can nearly simulate turn-based combat by enabling all the pause options. You should never miss your turn. There is even an option to pause at the end of each turn, which will make it so close to turn based combat that it's personally a little annoying (IMHO).

Enable pause on life @ 30%. Enable pause on enemy sighted, weapon lost/dropped, target destroyed. Enable pause when spell is cast. That's usually enough. That allows you to point your fighters at bad guys and trust them to keep hitting, while you concentrate on spellcasters who should be more micromanaged.

tunguska

Liturgist
BG2 is one of the best RPGs ever made, and definitely by far the most replayable. In fact for me it seems like there is no limit to the number of times I can replay it over the years. I probably do a fresh install once a year and play most of the way through. I am one of those who does think the dialogue sucks though. And I find the personalities of many of the good aligned NPCs to be extremely annoying. It is easy to see that Team Torment (MCA etc) was not doing the writing. The writing is amateurish. Seems like it was written by someone who learned English through texting on their cell phone. My favorite computer game was PS:T, but I just can't replay that game so much. It has been years since I installed it. I guess that's the problem with "story-driven" games. Once you know the story, the suspense and mystery is gone. BG2 has a simplistic, dumb overall story arc, but has lots of interesting and clever quests. And almost no Fedexing.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
tunguska said:
BG2 has a simplistic, dumb overall story arc, but has lots of interesting and clever quests. And almost no Fedexing.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy shit, that was a good one.

edit: Yeah, yeah, I know you're ironic and stuff.

Uh, at least I hope you're sarcastic and ironic and the whole kaboom.

Mareus

Magister
tunguska said:
bla bla bla,.... BG2 has a simplistic, dumb overall story arc, but has lots of interesting and clever quests. And almost no Fedexing.
Care to explain what is so dumb and simplistic in BG story arc? The whole story is incredible and I really don't understand people who say the story is dumb and cliche. It is not PST, true, but it is still 3 times better than any other RPG I have played except Torment and maybe Betrayal at Krondor, but those two games have completely different approach to the story. It would be like comparing Memento with LOTR. You just fucking can't do that. The story is not similar to LOTR(like some people here say), except the setting. The story actually reminds me more on Highlander with that "there can be only one" similarity.

You play a child of a dead evil God. Just this guarantees the story will be more interesting than 99% of other classic RPG games out there. The writing is not PST, true, but it's much better than any other RPG I have played, except legendary PST and Betrayal at Krondor, but like I said, those two games have different approach to everything.

Besides, no other game (not even Torment) gives you that feeling of being a hero of epic proportions like BG does. I mean, when the music hits and you are surrounded by impossible odds, even LOTR greatest battles feel less epic than battles in BG. You start as some young brat who is forced into the life of conflict. No one respects you and no one fears you. By the time you get to Throne of Bhaal, even the most powerful beings will respect your name. NO OTHER GAME HAS MANAGED TO GIVE YOU THIS! Sure the story does not have any Memento or PST moments, just like LOTR doesn't have them, but the things this game does it does them in such a superb way it casts a big shadow on everything similar.

As for characters being annoying, fuck! You have more than enough characters to chose from, especially in the first BG. If you don't like them, don't play with them. It's not like the game forces characters on you. Fuck, you can even play the game alone if you are into those sort of things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom