Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

baldurs gate virgin

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, but why would you WANT to on your first time through? I hate these threads. =/

I completed BG 1/2 with a solo human wizard, no problem. But why would you want to? Just play the game as it was supposed to be played. IMO. The party banter is p. fun, or was when I was younger. And Edwin is a better wizard than you could ever be.

Eldritch

Scholar
Because he's an utter noob and thinks THAC0 is mexican food? I bet that aspie supercomputer in your skull already knew all there is to know about kicking ass in DnD games before your first playthrough.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just don't see him experience all that BG has to offer (*chortle*) if he plays it solo the first time through. It should be played as intended, with a party and everything.
(Also you are quite wrong; I played the game twice through with full parties before I ever solo'd them.)

Eldritch

Scholar
Jasede said:
I just don't see him experience all that BG has to offer (*chortle*) if he plays it solo the first time through. It should be played as intended, with a party and everything.
(Also you are quite wrong; I played the game twice through with full parties before I ever solo'd them.)

Soloing wasn't my point, I thought you just raged at the guy asking for a more easy to play main character build in his first playthrough as a total DnD noob.

Yes, I agree with the pointlessness of a first time solo playthru and he probably just wondered if it was even possible to complete the game solo. chillax furbro.

Edit: Damn, missed your paladin suggestion. sry.

aries202

Erudite
hoodoo said:
Eldritch said:
W I steamrolled everything so effortlessly with a solo Fighter/Mage in SoA+ToB a couple of months ago it was ridiculous...

you can complete the game without companions?

Yes, you can :)

It is called solo-ing the game...

And may or may not be for anyone who hasn't played the game before...

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Jasede said:
Yes, but why would you WANT to on your first time through? I hate these threads. =/

So do I. It feels like asking all of her ex-boyfriends for tips before doing a girl for the first time.

Do I go straight for the kill, or use dialogue options ?

What combos are the best ?

Is "up the ass" the evil path ?

Am I supposed to solo it ?

If not, what kind of party banter am I to expect ?

C'mon guys, I have to know.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Playing through BG 1 for the first time since it came out in 1998.

Having a great time with it. For some reason the 2D graphics of the late 90's early 2000's game just look and feel better than FP 3D games do. Maybe its because its farther away in viewpoint so it increases my imagination but these type of games suck me in more.

Love the atmosphere in this game and the open endedness of the game. I know alot of people complain about the empty vast wilderness areas, but I actually like that because it feels like a real living place. I mean wouldn't there be lots of open wilderness along the sword coast?

Using the EasyTutu mod with resolution at 1024x786 and man that sure makes the game look nice, completely removes any pixelation.

Also installed the improved NPC dialog and additional quest mods. The additional dialog is Great, it really adds alot I dont remember.

Question; Using easytutu i can choose res 1024x786 which is good enough for me. The only problem is it makes the inventory screens a tad small. Would the widescreen mod make any difference? I installed and at this resolution I didnt notice any difference but maybe Im doing something wrong?

I know most people here like BG II better than I, but I like the open world feel of BG I so much better. (I did like BG II though)

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Nah, the NPC-companions. They sometimes have fun stuff to say, especially if you get conflicting aligments in the party. Try having Jaheira&Khalid and then Montaron&Xzar. Good times :D

Saxon1974

Prophet
GarfunkeL said:
Nah, the NPC-companions. They sometimes have fun stuff to say, especially if you get conflicting aligments in the party. Try having Jaheira&Khalid and then Montaron&Xzar. Good times :D

Ah, yea I have currently Imoen, Khalid&Jaheira,Minsc and Xzar.

I find Xzar a bit annoying so far, always complaining about life in general. Jaheira annoys me a bit too.

Minsc is great, Imoen also a tad annoying.

I had Garrick the bard but he kind of sucked as a character so I let him go when I got Xzar.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Guise, i started playing too...and i have a problem. Strange black squares indicate the end of my characters sight. If i switch to world map - back to game, then its back to normal greyed out fog of war. Halp?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
jagged-jimmy said:
Guise, i started playing too...and i have a problem. Strange black squares indicate the end of my characters sight. If i switch to world map - back to game, then its back to normal greyed out fog of war. Halp?
Try either disabling or enabling 3D acceleration.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
Ranged weapons are king in BG1.
Play as a fighter or paladin.
Equip everyone with ranged weapons.
Change the scripts to fighter/attack for all your party.
Low level critters will die instantly from the barrage of arrows/bullets/darts.
Use the pause button (spacebar) often.
Run away from tough melee critters and pound with arrows until they die.

These tactics work well for the early stages.

Edit: Thread posted June 26 2009. Shit.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Roguey said:
jagged-jimmy said:
Disabling helps, but how can i disable 3D acceleration for BG only. Can't configure it anywhere... What about some EasyTutu, install or not?

Saxon1974

Prophet
jagged-jimmy said:
Roguey said:
jagged-jimmy said:
Disabling helps, but how can i disable 3D acceleration for BG only. Can't configure it anywhere... What about some EasyTutu, install or not?

When you install EasyTutu you will have a "BGConfig.exe" in the Tutu folder you can run that will allow you to turn it off for BG only. Im using EasyTutu and playing the game right now.

Saxon1974

Prophet
LittleJoe said:

Dang it I started doing this and now the game seems to easy, almost feels like cheating. (Im playing on D&D hardcore rules).

I got rid of Jaheira and Khalid and picked up Kivan and Branwhen. I have played the game before years ago so I just wanted something different.

Do Kivan and Branwen have less things to say in the NPC dialog mod that I installed?

Really love the exploration aspect of BG 1. Sadly I wish the ICeWind dale games would have been this way as opposed to hack and slash dungeon crawl.

Does anyone here like the IWD games better than the BG and BGII games?

Nael

Arcane
Best way to play the game is the Rock Band. All bards. Total pwnage.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
IWD games are certainly on my playlist as soon i get through BG1. I got addicted to D&D.

One question about EasyTutu: Can i play my BG1 savegames after install? It seems i have to place them to BG2 folder..thats kinda messy. I see only BG2 savegames when i want to load.

EDIT: Ah, i am fucked. Need to start over...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Saxon1974 said:
LittleJoe said:

Dang it I started doing this and now the game seems to easy, almost feels like cheating. (Im playing on D&D hardcore rules).

Use the Swordcoast Stratagems mod if you find the game too easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom