Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ballerium - a MMORTS (WTF?)

denizsi

Arcane
It comes free and in just a 120 mb of download, but I don't know how the fuck the game is supposed to play out as far as MMO goes. I haven't looked into it enough to have an idea what the missions are, units, tech-tree etc. but you can take a brief look at them here, I guess.

From the website:

Welcome to Ballerium - one of the first massively multiplayer online realtime strategy games. Ballerium features some very innovative gameplay including a real-time economy lets you control and influence the in-game market, dynamic resource gathering, and unique army building mechanics centered a hero system that influences your abilities. So get started trading, mining and fighting your way to top of the leader boards. Tell your friends about our fun strategy game that features:

* Free download and gameplay
* Persistent multi user environment
* Many ways to win the game (trade, role-play, combat, and diplomacy)
* AI that is capable finishing combat for you in case of disconnection
* Warfare on an epic scale: Play with thousands of players on a single map
* Seven Unique races to choose from, each possessing unique units and magic abilities
* Great community features
* Low Bandwidth Requirements

http://www.ballerium.com/

Here is a crappy YouTube video. They also have a better flash video on their website.

System requirements

* Microsoft Windows 98/ME
* 128 MB of System RAM
* 1GHz Processor
* 600MB Available Hard Drive Space
* 32MB video RAM or greater
* Sound Card, speakers or headphones
* Internet connection

The official recommended system requirements are:
* 256 MB of System RAM
* Nvidia GForce 3 or ATI Radeon 7500 with 64 MB RAM or better
* Broadband internet connection with Cable/DSL speeds

Astromarine

Erudite
whoa, BAWLSerium is still alive? that was surely a blast from the past. Surviving Herve Caen is no small feat.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Wow, with the amount of blurring on that YouTube video I suspected that it was showing a bunch of brutal hentai.

After watching the flash video, I was left longing for the YouTube video that left it up to my imagination. I also wonder how long it will take Metallica to clean them out for using one of their songs.

Shattered Galaxy is what... 6 years old? It still does this better. Stats, equipment, leveling, upgrading units, 6-12 units in a squad, and no resource gathering. None of this "put out 20+ fireball hurling hunched pig beasts" while everyone follows suit.

Then again, I'm an angry cunt. I still suppose I'll try it. Let's just say my hopes aren't high.

TheRealVimes

Novice
You folks are many years out of date :)

Google Beyond Protocol and Saga .....

Then come to our site :twisted:

Then accept single player is on its way out - instanced MMORTS will be your venue in the future.

Wolfstan

Novice
I am actually enjoying this game. I'm sandboxing for now, becuase the round ends in about a week. It's like a cross between Kohan and Rise of Legends...

Vimes

Novice
Sadly Shattered Galaxy has shown no activity since December - though this is quite common with the old skool devs in MMMORTS. Sadly this shows in the genre activity and buzz which usually expects inactivity. The new generation of developers are either fully in with a independent glossy product or hobbiests - both realise that community makes n break MMO games and seen to be paying attention.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom